6 Nations Rugby 2018

Always! Only way to improve is to expect perfection. Not when learning with SSiW maybe but… :slight_smile:

They just lost to the best team in the northern hemisphere.

They could have won! And what has Scotland done to themselves? Oh wow! Not tbe team we beat! Lloegr on the rocks!

In my humble opinion: It was a good match. Both teams did their best.

I agree. For 30 minutes Ireland completely dominated and thay was the deciding factor. Wales scored off the back foot again, proving that they’re a dangerous side even without the ball.

What a win?! My prediction is still alive!

Oh if that was the team you had seen, I see why you were so keen on them, but where was that spirit until now?

They were outplayed by Wales in Cardiff. Wales didn’t let them play. So instead of saying Scotland lacked something, look at who stopped them playing.

So why did we lose to England? OK one disallowed try, if given would have changed feelings, given hope…

England actually had the upper hand in that game for the majority. Then a moment of individual brilliance by Sam Underhill saved a try. But that’s a different game. We were talking about Scotland. You wrote them off because of one loss. You also told me they were as good if not better than Ireland because of one win.

It’s a pity that Huw Jones didn’t turn left coming out of Heathrow instead of heading north !
His second try today was a belter .

1 Like

Thanks. Huw Jones :laughing:

I at least learnt something about mutations today from the on screen mutations (1C, 2G, 3CH, PB):

un cais, dau gais, tri chais, pwynt bonws- one try, two tries, three tries, four tries

2 Likes

Nice one

An inspiration to learn in all situations! Da iawn ti!
p.s. you reminded me of what I already knew and tend to forget!

Absolutely top class singing from the Women’s team to be fair. Please don’t take the wrong way, I haven’t seen the match yet, just a clip of the anthem.

I remember an era when it seemed that if Ireland were doing really well, they lost to the worst team in the last game, so no predictions from me! Just llongyfarchiadau to them. Yr Alban seem to need Murrayfield turf to win! If we can manage to beat the French next week, it will be lovely, but I am not predicting anything! I will wait until I see how we do tomorrow against Yr Eidal!

Needless to say, delighted! Da iawn bechgyn cochion bach! More converstion about Italy on TV. I am really sorry for poor Parisse, but I tend to agree with the need for a 4 or 5 year play-off between Italy and the top sides in the next tier, Georgia being my fancy! If Italy are not still clutching the wooden spoon, then between whoever is and the next tier!!

I think it’s looking likely that the 6 nations era is coming to an end to be replaced by Northern Hemisphere A and B competitions with promotion / relegation between them. But how to do it in a fair way and encourage growth of rugby outside current Tier 1 nations?
Would we still take as much interest in the competition if we were playing Spain, Romania, Italy and Finland? Pining for relegation to get to play with Scotland Ireland and England again regularly? So much of the tradition of the 6 nations is centred around the relationships between the participating nations.
I’m not sure rugby is big enough outside the traditional nations for the a nation like Wales or England to drop into the second division and sustain interest and funds to return to the 1st division.
I just can’t see a simple solution to this.
The biggest threat at the moment is TV coverage, there are genuine fears that if the 6 nations is lost to normal telly, then rugby could very easily go the way of cricket (empty stadiums, only real diehards following the game). Especially in Wales where the rugby is so rooted in whole communities, not just the rugby fraternity? .Because if ordinary people stop watching it the game at a professional level will die and that has big consequences

2 Likes

Mr J and myself often used to travel to Cardiff for the Six Nations before we had the kids - in the time where hotel prices weren’t extortionate and you could get many last minute deals on various websites.

But after the kids came along we could no longer afford to go, so we used to make a fuss at home during the championship - daffodils in every vase, an abundance of home made chicken and leek pies, Welsh cider and everyone in red shirts. But somehow I feel that over the years it’s lost a little of it’s appeal for me.

There used to be a time when we would watch with passion and dedication no matter how badly we were losing, and often feel sad that we were unable to actually be there in Cardiff. But these days, for some reason, it doesn’t feel the same and we don’t make a fuss any more.

Well, this could have something to do with it I suppose. I remember when it was available in HD on S4C - it was fabulous. Then they went back to poor picture quality, so bad in fact that one time we watched in in HD on the BBC with the sound muted and live Radio Cymru coverage in the background!

Actually going to Cardiff for the games has become extortionately expensive. Hotels have really hiked their prices up and ticket prices are really high. You need about £500 for two people to be able to attend a weekend game.

I’m sure that play quality and consistency in play quality also has an effect. But it really doesn’t feel the same as it used to be.

4 Likes