A beginner’s trip to North Wales...many questions

Helo! Dw’i newydd ddechrau dysgu cymraeg efo SsiW a… I’m finally going to visit Wales! I will be walking, so I should at least have y cyfle i ymarfer siarad cymraeg when looking for b&bs and hostiles and pubs.
I will be leaving London for Wales on 11 August, so I’m pretty crunched for time.

At the moment, I’m thinking that I want to start walking (somewhere… Bangor? Further west along the Llyn peninsula?) along the North Wales Coast Path and walk towards Liverpool, where I would visit someone (not Welsh). This would ideally be Thursdayish, and then I am thinking I could take a train to Knighton and walk down along Offa’s Dyke until I need to get to London Sunday on the 18th.

So far, I’ve done lessons 1-4 in both North and South Welsh and feel comfortable in both and am continuing with the North Welsh for this trip. However, I hope to see all parts of Wales eventually and don’t know whether or not I should continue with both dialects in the long term.

Anyone have any advice? I’m wondering where I will come across more people willing to practice Welsh with such a beginner; it would mean a lot to me to meet people who are passionate about the the language and place. I am looking for places people mention are regular welsh speaking gatherings in the meetups section, but haven’t gotten far yet.
Also, I am wondering whether there are masses in Welsh ever at local churches, as I will be in Wales two Sundays. I’m wondering if I could meet people there who speak some Welsh even if the mass is in English. I like to go to church, but also I am very introverted and need practice putting myself out there, so to speak, and so am on the lookout for any open and welcoming (and free!) community gatherings.

But advice on anything relevant to the trip would be appreciated.
Diolch!
Gwen

3 Likes

Hi Gwen.
I don’t live in N Wales, but here is my take on it until someone more local drops in -
Personally, for your N Wales Coast section, I’d go for Caernarfon as a base. It has a very high percentage of Welsh speakers. Llety Arall is a Welsh speaking B&B and centre. I think it is in Stryd y Plas, which is also full of great shops where Welsh is spoken. I don’t know how the B&B is fixed for vacancies, but there are other B&Bs and hotels close by. I’d book before you arrive, though. You can go East or West from there for days out.

Regarding Mass, are you thinking of RC Church? Looking at your schedule, it looks like you will need to go for wherever you are on the 2nd Sunday Morning.

Finally regarding dialect. Again personally, I’d stick with Northern only, at least until after your visit - only so your ear will be tuned in. Don’t worry about the local people understanding you - they will be fine with either dialect, and of course with English also.

I hope that this will help as a starter.

4 Likes

Helo John!
This is very helpful, diolch! Llety Arall looks very nice, and not wildly expensive. I wasn’t sure whether to book ahead or not, but I suppose it is high tourism season, so diolch for the advice there. And I’m not really a touristy person, so sorry if it’s a dumb question, but is it appropriate to just walk through shops without buying things? I never make it into shops because I feel rude if I don’t buy stuff, but that does hinder efforts to make conversation.
And I am Roman Catholic, but I will go anywhere. (Really. In my hometown, I’ve even gone to a couple of Jewish synaguogues. I’m a bit of an odd RC to be honest. :slight_smile:
Diolch!

Also… I just keep coming up with more questions, so nobody feel pressure to answer all of them. I’m trying to learn how to order food and a room and ask for information and directions. These are understandably not covered in the beginning of SSiW. I’m trying to do how Aran reccomends learning with the mixing and matching some choses questions and answers instead of memorising phrases from lists. However, I find that I want to learn more grammar to be able to play with sentences more. I swear grammar won’t put me off learning Welsh! I’m one of those weirdos who reads grammar books for fun actually. So any places with good basic explanations of welsh grammar would be welcome. Also, lists of ways to order food and a room and ask for information and directions. I’m using 101languages right now.

1 Like

Hi again,
Just a few thoughts until someone more knowledgable helps out -

Yes, generally OK to browse. I usually buy something small to show willing. If you happen to mention SSiW in Caernarfon, they will probably start a chat with you as many of the shops and Letty Arall are friends of SSw.
A couple of phrases in advance of the relevant Challenge -
Ga i … Plis. = May I have a … Plis.
Oes gen ti … Plis = Do you have a/any … Plis.

The Churches most likely to have Welsh language services in Wales will be chapels with Welsh or Biblical place names. The main services tend to be Sunday AM.

I hope that this will help.

3 Likes

Hi…theres a lovely bookshop in caernarfon on one of the old streets near the castle and they sell loads of welsh language books and when i go in and try out a little cymraeg the staff are lovely and encouraging. I just start off with “dwi’n dysgu cymraeg” and a big smile and away you go
Hwyl fawr!

5 Likes

I’m going to the North this summer as well! Visiting Bangor with my dad! I want to check out the Uni and hike in the Snowdonia Park. I’m looking forward to hear about your adventures!

Dw i’n mynd i fyn d i’r Gogledd hefyd! Dw i’n mynd i ymweld Bangor gyda fy nhad i! Dw i’n moyn edrych allan y brifysgol a heicio yn y parc Snowdonia (Eryri?). Dw i’n edrych ymlaen am glywed am eich anturiaethau!

2 Likes

Hi, I am sure you will enjoy your trip. I live in the North and I am happy to advice about good hikes/walks in Snowdonia (including the less crowded ones if you like quiet hiking) or other nice walks around. But I know next to nothing abouth that social stuff (masses, friendly groups etc.).
The area between Caernarfon, Llyn and the mountains is very Welsh speaking. But you still need to actively start in Welsh, otherwise locals will speak English to you (even more if you look like a tourist). Bangor is less Welsh speaking.

5 Likes

…and yet to me, Bangor still seems to have a very high percentage of Welsh speakers. Just my totally unscientific appraisal.

1 Like