A currency in Welcomes in various languages

I would like this question to go to Other Languages as well if possible.

I am aware that beyond the Irish Welcome lies (possibly) a thousand welcomes, but observe that like lira and francs and other currencies, revaluations and devaluations, inflation and deflation can occur.

Is it becoming the norm to say, I ask myself, 100 000 welcomes now, more often than a 1000 welcomes in Irish?

When I visited Y Trallwng recently

[on the way to a date with @nia.llywelyn and Rhys Mwyn, and @jude-howells (right person, Jude?) ]

I thought I noticed 10, 000 welcomes but written yn y Gymraeg, in the Welsh language, on a sign somewhere…

I have learnt from Zoe Pettinger’s title (we’ll cross that bridge when we come to it, but thanks @beca-brown am y help yn yr Hangout that day mid-October)

…that “Croesi” is not a plural noun of Croeso - at least not in the expression Croesi’r Bont. Or the book title.

I still cannot remember quite what I saw yn yr Drallwng, which used to be a place called Newtown next to Powys Castle, National Trust property.

Were I able to charter a flight I’d go round the world checking physical expressions of this currency of Welcomes in many languages, but any photographic evidence would be great.

I assume the White Anglo- Saxon Humanist part of my culture mostly refuses to engage in this multiple welcome lark, but if you have evidence to the contrary, please let me know!

A thousand thanks, tusend tak, merci bien!

“Tisočkrat hvala” in Slovene (Thank you 1000 times) but never 10,000 though. And for the difference of welcome in English the welcome (dobrodošli) means only this in Slovene - “welcome” as in comming and staying somewhere and not as the reply when you thank to someone. :slight_smile:

1 Like