A kind of pivot - or added direction - for SSiW - what do you think?

Ah cool, sounds fantastic then! Especially if you have a small pool of people to get started with :smile:

I also like the pricing structure you’re suggesting. Nice and simple. I was imagining all kinds of ‘pay x for this content, pay y for premium content’ etc etc. Keeping it simple should encourage takeup.

It’s probably too early to be looking at the technicalities of providing the content; but creating your own YouTube esk site (not just a channel, your own actual site) is pretty easy these days; https://www.quora.com/What-is-a-way-to-create-a-video-sharing-website-like-YouTube . Could be overkill at the start though.

1 Like

I rather suspect not, I’m afraid!

Yup, I think we start by jury-rigging it within the existing site - and then put any increase in cashflow into more prizes and more site development, with a medium term aim to make it as slick and pretty as possible… :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I like your ideas. The internet is this huge source of content in a target language for almost anyone, and I’ve found that no language learner who’s online will use it without independently looking for a lot of accessible story, news, and other media. A media company for language learners will always do well.

I would go one futher and encourage you to also produce more materials for learners at the lower levels, because there is no “too much” in terms of what will make someone’s ears perk up and suddenly get really into the language. I’m on Level 2 Challenge 7 (newydd orffen :smiley: ) and I still don’t understand fast talk on the Pigion podcast which is for “rhai sy’n dysgu Cymraeg”.

In Spanish you’re always going to face a more crowded market (plus MFL teachers and the school system and its scars on everyone), so I wonder if another target language may be interesting here - something quirky yet popular like Thai? Just bouncing an idea around now.

And please, Aran and Iestyn…let me work on Say Something in German with you soon :wink:

5 Likes

I subscribe to a podcast called “News in Slow French”, which is basically a couple of times a week 5-6 minute blog that gives you some of the headlines of events that have happened in France as of late - recorded in pretty slow French. (Even as a fluent French speaker I struggle with news broadcasts as the newsreaders just go at concord speed that would make even the quickest Welsh speaker look like a Donkey on the beach).

How about that for a suggestion? “News in Learner’s Welsh”, quick, sharp news articles in terms we’ll have already learned from SSIW itself.

(edit: got the name of the podcast the wrong way around)

5 Likes

Llongyfarchiadau mawr! :star: :star2:

Question: have you been using the accelerated listening exercises in Level 1? :slight_smile:

And yes, as soon as the SSiBorg is ready we’ll be looking to widen up, and we’d love to have you involved with the German… :slight_smile:

Yes, interesting thought - I don’t like the ‘slowed down’ approach, because I think that trains you not to understand normal speed - but I do like the idea of taking news pieces, transcribing/translating them, and then getting you to listen to the known material at double speed… :slight_smile:

1 Like

Here’s something I’ve been thinking about for some time: People who have finished the courses (people like you, Nicky) need some encouragement to stop being ‘learners’ and start being ‘second language speakers’. This doesn’t mean doing anything different, really, just adopting a slightly different attitude. So when you inevitably paint yourself into a grammatical corner during a particularly complex sentence, you don’t say “sorry, I’m a learner”, but “sorry, it’s not my first language” (if, indeed, you feel you need to explain anything!).

I’ve said this before on this forum, but people from say Poland or Bulgaria who are learning English stop being called learners once they have grasped basic grammar and have acquired a vocabulary of a few hundred essential words. These very same people learning Welsh will probably always be ‘learners’, even if their Welsh becomes better than their English!

So, where I’m going here is for and ‘added direction’ for SSIW to include promotion of this change in attitude, both amongst first and second language speakers: “Croeso, a dyma newyddion yr wythnos ar gyfer siaradwyr ail iaith…”

10 Likes

Yes! But they just drove me crazy…

As a fellow listener of “news in slow French”, i’d say it’s a bit like Pigion: presenters who speak rather slowly and carefully - not slowed down audio. so theres that…?

Oh where are they? They sound interesting.

@aran Hope I wasn’t sounding too negative in my previous comment, I actually think this new idea is very exciting! :+1:

1 Like

Can I ask what is the plan for the lessons anyway?

Because the old material had 3 levels, the naive like me would probably be assuming that there are going to be 3 levels in the new course - or are there going to be more?

Or is SSIBorg going to come along and kill the whole concept of levels? :smiley:

Either way, exciting time.

1 Like

Though the presenter talks a little more slowly, the people talking on the Pigion podcast clips are speaking at normal speed. But it’s easier to understand because they’re speaking quite clearly about a straightforward but interesting topic and without intrusive background noise. Also the clips are short. I lose concentration and my mind tends to drift off if someone is talking continuously for a long period.

1 Like

That’s the thing, and I think a lot of that comes down to the person and their confidence.

To be honest, I’ve been really living the language since moving to Mid-Wales - last night we down the local Welsh pub, perched up on a stool at the bar and spent 4/5 hours chatting away in proper Welsh with proper Welsh speakers about proper subjects of the day: buying houses, renting them out to students, football, politics, Brexit and things like that.

I do this on a regular basis and never need to fall back to English, and my use of English is now down to the rare “dictionary term” (‘decentralization of the population’ was a phrase I used last night!) - and I know people argue until they are blue in the face over this, but I’m more than happy to say that I am a fluent Welsh speaker now.

I don’t know every single word (but then no-one does, even native speakers), but I can live, thrive and survive in the language, so screw it - yep, I’m claiming the fluency belt!!! :smiley:

Having said that then, my wife for example is a lot less confident than me and still likes to wear her learner badge when she’s out and about for example and even though she has about the same level of the language as me, she’s a lot shy-er about it.

I think it’s a question of confidence - if I was speaking Welsh and made a mistake I would just cough, restart and carry on, whereas a few people I know would be absolutely mortified.

You’re very right in what you say. If you think of people you’ve been served by in shops, or met - people who are second language English, but you rarely if ever hear them saying “I’m still learning”, they just jump into it.

I think I got the title of the potential podcast wrong :D:D but I think what I was aiming for, was that some like our good Aran or our good Iestyn would maybe pick up a Welsh newspaper, or Golwg - or anything - pick some articles and maybe turn them into audio stories, using the Welsh that we already know from the course.

I do know however, that our @aran is a sicko who, instead of playing it at normal speed would turn it into “Sonic the Hedgehog speed News in Welsh” or something equally as challenging :stuck_out_tongue:

4 Likes

Sounds like a model that could work. I can see it could expand the audience for SSiW (and potentially other small languages) to carve a niche in the market of encouraging content for learners, as well as providing a small paid market for first language artists, both of which are good.

Would it be feasible to produce the content, whether it’s conversation, poem, short story, and then instead of translation/transcription which can be pretty time-consuming, record the vocab that is new into the SSiW format and tick the relevant bits off the “first 4000 words” list? Kind of using the additional content as the skeleton for the next installment? I don’t know enough about how your back end stuff works to know if this is doable.

2 Likes

I’m in the same position as you, henddraig (always enjoy your posts); apart from being No Longer Young I live in Germany and am therefore unlikely to come across many Cymraeg speakers on a daily basis. I’ve finished all the available courses and levels, found the course the best language course I’ve ever done, but am now casting about for suitable resources to help me go on from there and would jump at the chance of finding them on SSIW, to which I feel a great deal of loyalty and affection.

What would help me personally would be transcriptions of radio programme excerpts (they needn’t be long). My ears just aren’t good enough to pick up enough individual words to be able to look them up in the dictionary, which is discouraging.

I listen to Pigion but have to be honest - I can understand the introduction to each topic reasonably well but can’t usually follow the original interviews, conversations etc., especially as there is a distressing (for learners) habit of using recordings of telephone conversations - the sound quality makes it doubly difficult to follow what’s being said.

As suggested by others, audiobooks to accompany printed editions would be excellent too.

What I would REALLY like would be for S4C to have subtitles in Welsh, not English. So any form of collaboration with them would be fantastic.

Anyway, the idea of branching out is exciting and I will be up there supporting it!

2 Likes

Agree with this - although I’m not immediately sure how best to go about it - I’m fairly wary of ‘siaradwyr ail iaith’, too, which I think is often just a ‘trying to be nice’ way of saying LEARNER. I think it might be interesting to do some group thinking around this…

So how quickly did you give up on them? I ask because they really, really make a difference - I’ve watched them trigger clear neurological change in less than 5 days, over and over again…

We’ve really, really got to up our game on making it clearer what’s available where! :flushed: Every 5 lessons, on the lesson download page - so Challenge 5, 10, 15 etc - scroll down under the lesson download, and you’ll find the listening exercise… :slight_smile:

Good heavens, no, didn’t think you were being negative at all - just giving valuable feedback, as ever! :star: :star2:

Oh, that’s a nice small question…:wink:

As things stand, we seem almost certainly to have ‘too much’ material for Level 3, but probably not enough for a whole Level 4 - so I’m currently thinking in terms of getting to the end of Level 3, and then adding a few more as a kind of Level 3+.

Once those are done, we’ll be focusing on vocabulary building, which I think needs to be done in a story format, rather than a ‘complete SSiW lesson for each 10 new words’ - although as per @alice9’s idea, we may well find that some of the content triggers a set of vocab that seems widespread enough for it to be worth lessonification…:slight_smile:

Then what’s coming down the line - once the SSiBorg is behaving itself in terms of building new languages, then our next major challenge is to turn it into an online streaming kind of thing - so yes, at that point, instead of having ‘challenges’ or ‘lessons’, you’ll just log in and hit play (we’ll need to have some kind of deal for people who want to learn offline - maybe make it possible to download chunks of x minutes a go) - and that will start to help us know how much time you’ve put in, and to measure what’s sticking and what’s not, and start to make it adaptive… but we’ll probably need to crack some other languages before we have the cash-flow for the team we’re going to need for that…

That’s a really interesting idea - you’re spot on about translation/transcription as the real time-eater here, which of course knocks on into costs… having said that, even with the SSiBorg, lesson production is a fair bit of work too, and tougher (at this stage) to outsource… but you’ve given me something good to chew over here - diolch! :star: :star2:

Thank you so much for your enthusiasm, support and ideas, Janet! Yes, collaboration would be terrific, if we can get to that point - we’ll probably need to show that we can build a large enough audience first, but if we can crack that, we should be able to find good ways to collaborate, and we’ll certainly be looking to do so… :slight_smile:

Thank you all so much for your feedback in here.

It’s been thought-provoking and encouraging, which is an ideal mix.

We’re going to give this a crack of the whip - so we’ve got a little back-office work to do about how the site presents the content, and then we’ll need to get our first few bits of content ready and waiting (we’ve now got two great people working on producing our test content ) - and then we’ll roll out a timescale for switching over, and a clear set of details, including cost.

I’m quietly excited about this… :slight_smile:

5 Likes

Some programmes do have them Janet, just not all unfortunately.
http://www.s4c.cymru/en/access-services/page/5857/welsh-subtitles/

1 Like

Totally agree and it is reading practice I need, but now my eyes are not what they were either - need, not large print, but not tiny print either and sufficient contrast! On line people seem to like pale blue on white or what looks like grey on white rather than black! I suppose I’m just falling apart and am not helping the discussion much!
However, @aran, Level 1 free, monthly for extras - fine, but pay per lesson for level 2 up??? That discourages people from moving fast! It could cause financial difficulty for those with tight budgets! I think you gave to charge a weekly or monthly sum or it just gets too complicated. Let people who want to fly, like our friend from Finland, do so without worrying about money!

Wow, thank you Siaron! How could I have missed this?

1 Like

You’re welcome :slight_smile: Lots of people don’t realise there are sometimes Welsh subtitles, so you’re not the first, and won’t be the last!

1 Like

No, subscribers always get everything we’ve got.