A question for lesson 8

Well this first one is an observation not a question.
@ 2:41 Request: “You don’t have to tell me what you want.”
Response: “Nyns yw res dhis leverel dhymm an pyth a vin’ta.”
The use of “an pyth a vyn’ta” has been covered elsewhere, and this phrase seems to fall into that category, where “pyth a vyn’ta” is not a question, but the object. We have often been asked to say “You don’t have to tell me what you want.” But this is the first time that the response has contained “an”. It’s what I would have expected, so I’m glad they are using it now. Later in the lesson (I don’t like calling them challenges) we are introduced to “An pyth a vynnav vy” which makes perfect sense, because it can only really be the object when it’s you doing the wanting, so there is always going to be an “an”.

@ 14:17 Request: “You don’t need to remember what I want to say.”
Response: “Nyns yw res dhis perthi kov an pyth a vynnav vy leverel” Somehow I suspected that it would not be “…perthi kov a an pyth…” it’s just so cumbersome. Is there a rule here? It’s strange how you get an intuition.
@19:58 Request: “But I can’t remember now”
Response: “Mes ny allav vy perthi kov lemmyn.” Somehow I guessed there would be no “a”. Is there a rule here too?

Another observation:
28: 35 Request: “I’d better try to remember how to say what I want to say.”

As I heard this, I thought, wow this one is worthy of a rum and shrub. With judicious use of the pause button I managed it. And lo and behold, Pol told me to pour myself one. I’d better buy some and try it I guess.

1 Like

It’ll be another contraction — “perthi kov a’n pyth…” When “a” (“of”) comes before “an” (“the”), it contracts to “a’n”, which sounds just the same as “an” when it’s spoken.

If you were wondering, by the way, the reason we use “a” after “perthi kov” is that “perthi kov a ____” literally means “to bear memory of ____”. “Perthi” is the verb meaning “to bear”, “kov” is “memory”. There is a verb “kofhe” (also spelled “kovhe” or “kova”) meaning “to remember”, but for some reason it doesn’t seem to get used much, even though it’s less of a mouthful!!

Yes, because in that sentence it’s just “can’t remember now”, not “can’t remember [something] now”. You only need the “a” when it’s “remember [something]”.

Probably, although as I’ve never tried one myself, I can’t recommend it (or not) personally! :grin:

1 Like