A riddle designed for SSiWers

A friend texted me a riddle yesterday and I thought I’d share it here. It took me a full day to figure out the answer, but I think the SSiW method means we’d get there much faster than traditional book-based learners.

“Ceffyl gwyn yn y cae. Beth yw hynny yn Gymraeg”.

Mwynhewch!

1 Like

You haven’t been overwhelmed by responses yet, @steve_2 !

I’ve been mulling it over with my daughter this morning but we have to reluctantly admit that we’re stumped! Clue?

She was wondering about Gwyn’s ceffyl… Honey? I think we give up. :frowning:

1 Like

White horse?

1 Like

I’m presuming that you’re being tricksy, and that the answer is… but then typing it would spoil the thread…

I have no doubt that he’s being tricksy! Are we the only ones who aren’t getting it? Please spoil the thread now!

1 Like

Glad to hear I’m not the only one to find it tricky. I found it helped to say it out loud (that’s a clue by the way).

@aran: Do you mean this isn’t a blindingly obvious riddle to Welsh speakers? (that’s a question not a clue).

1 Like

Both my little Welsh speaking daughters hopping about saying it out loud! Aaagh!!

Was the lack of question mark intentional or a (red herring) typo?

Unless the answer is just mêl, which would be a tad disappointing…

Lack of question mark was a typo… sorry.

Prepare yourself for disappointment…

Cries of ‘but we said that first!’ We’ve been over thinking it all day! (Story of my life…)
I will now go and sulk!

Having said which, the kids have been writing bad riddles for each other all day, so it did spark a flurry of creativity!

And they can annoy their friends at school with it!

1 Like

If it helps, I spent a day doing metaphors for white horses - sheep, clouds, waves, storms, nightmares, cramps…

Apologies to yourself and children. On the plus side we’ve both just solved a genuine, passed to us by a Welsh-speaker, Welsh riddle, which is pretty cool.

I’m going to ask for another one and see what comes back. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Oh no!! Bring it on…

I think the shift is not between speaker/learner but between written/spoken - it’s even possible that in written form, it would be harder for speakers to let go of the correctly spelled ‘hynny’… :sunny:

1 Like

I think it’s less a question of fluency than of a familiarity with a certain silly kind of riddle speak! It reminds me of some similar joke in English, which currently escapes me… (Oh I never was any good at this kind of thing!)

2 Likes

I thought of mêl early on, and then decided it couldn’t be that because it wasn’t related to the white horse and went through a long process of thinking of white horses actually being grey mares, so perhaps it had something to do with Y Fari Lwyd, but why would that be in a field …

@steve_2 I prefer the one about the most dangerous animal in the whole universe… :wink:

We need a “rolling eyes” smiley here. Cuz I am totally rolling my eyes at myself for clean missing that!!!

1 Like

shwmae
ceffyl sial agos Stonehenge

Isn’t the best known, “Antidisestablishmentarianism - how do you spell it?” “I T”.

2 Likes

Thank you! (Humpf.)

If it makes people feel better, I’ve just found out that our translator had to get help before she solved it :smile:

4 Likes

Lateral thinking, ‘outside the box’ is quite hard in any language, but in two at once??? In effect, you have to discard all possible answers in one before looking for involvement with the other!!