A weekend of Welsh language and literature in Snowdonia - book now for 2019 events

SCROLL DOWN FOR THE LATEST DATES AND INFORMATION

I’m running another weekend course “About Welsh” - comparing Welsh with other languages and giving an overview of the whole of Welsh literature from earliest times to the modern day. It’s running from 15-17th June in the lovely Plas Tan y Bwlch study centre in Snowdonia - which has gorgeous gardens and lovely food! Here are the details: http://www.eryri.llyw.cymru/study-centre/public-courses/course-details/history-and-archaeology/about-welsh3

When I posted on here last year it was amazing and we were positively overrun with people, so I really hope this forum might again get the word out to the right people.

I believe it’s quite a unique course as it’s suitable for people with no Welsh right through to fluent Welsh speakers. It will be run in English but looking at literature in the original and translation, right from the Gododdin via the early middle ages and Dafydd ap Gwilym all the way to the present day. My degree was in medieval Welsh in Cambridge. We will spend quite a lot of time looking at what Welsh does differently to other languages and comparing Welsh and English - you might find Welsh and English words are closer than you think once you understand how they are related! We’ll cover place-names, etymology, quirks of the Celtic languages, prose, poetry and even an overview of Welsh music and song. As I’m a full-time harpist I normally give a harp concert/lecture on the Saturday night on the history of Welsh music from the medieval Robat ap Huw manuscript to the modern day - and it’s now a tradition to end up singing a few Welsh songs together in the bar afterwards! There will be plenty of opportunities to practise your Welsh and to learn all about the riches of Welsh literature in an interactive and - hopefully! - entertaining way.

There’s also a second course happening 21-23 September. Please do spread the word and come if you can. It would be so sad to have to cancel it and we only need a few more people for it to run!

10 Likes

I’d love to come on this course but, as luck would have it, I’m tied up on both dates :disappointed: I’ll do my best to spread the word - really hope you get enough people in the end to run both

1 Like

@Deborah-SSi :slight_smile:

Sounds amazing! Just missed this week’s email, but I’ll get it in next week’s for sure!

1 Like

As things don’t kick off until the evening of 15 June, found I could juggle things to arrive in time, so I’ll be there after all :grinning:

That’s lovely news John. Thanks so much!

Hi Harriet, quick question please - did you run this course at the same place before? Thanks…

This sounds SOO interesting, but I have my parents staying with me in June so no chance of sneaking away for a few days. I’d love to make the September one though, so I’ll try to keep those days free.

I went on this course last year with my son, and I would definitely recommend it. Very informative about the language and culture and great fun. And, of course, Harriet playing the harp.

2 Likes

This sounds great! I’ll just have to check the dates with my cat-feeders…
My father was born in Blaenau Ffestiniog, near Plas Tan y Bwlch. His father was a minister there, a poet, and winner of the National Eisteddfod crown in 1902. So I always regretted that my Dad didn’t bring us up speaking Welsh. And I am now learning Welsh (slowly!) with SSiW, together with lovely pals in CACEN, our Welsh learners group - in Sussex!
I hope to meet you soon,
Sally

1 Like

Yes, I’ve run it twice in Plas Tan y Bwlch now. It’d be lovely if you fancied coming next month or to the September one! Thanks very much for your interest!

That’d be lovely if you can come Sally! Fingers crossed. It’s brilliant that you’ve got that family connection with the area and with Welsh poetry. Plas Tan y Bwlch is such a beautiful place! Hope to see you in June. Fingers crossed!

Thanks very much for the kind words Helen!

1 Like

Do come in September if you can, Dee. It’d be lovely to have you on the course. Thanks very much for your interest!

Thanks Aran for spreading the word!

1 Like

I’ve just booked up to go in June. @Sally I have been to meetings of CACEN in the past but haven’t been able to come for a while. I’m a moderator on SSiW and hesitate slightly to offer (because we’ve never met), but if you would be happy to share transport, I would happily give you a lift if you decide you’re going? Please talk to Mark or Maggy - anyone from CACEN who knows me really and I’m confident they’ll vouch for me.
Anyone who reads this and wants to investigate the possibility, I have space for up to four passengers and live in Portsmouth. @Deborah-SSi I’d happily divert through Llandysul for you…

Edit to add:- @Deborah-SSi just read your post about your parents, sorry :neutral_face: :flushed:

1 Like

That’s lovely news that you can come - and thanks for offering lifts as well! See you in June hopefully!

I’ve said before how interesting, well-researched and well-delivered Harriet’s course was when I attended it in Llanliar. I am happy to repeat my recommendation. :smile:

1 Like

Diolch yn fawr iawn, Huw! Mae’n garedig iawn ohonoch chi! :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hi sumsmeister (I think we’ve worked out who you are, and you are indeed well vouched-for!)
Many thanks for the offer of a lift to ‘About Welsh’. I’m still waiting to hear if I’ve definitely got a place, but if I have I’m thinking of staying on in Snowdonia for a few days to explore some of the places visited in Iolo Williams TV series on Snowdonia. In that case obviously I’d need to take my own car, but thanks anyway and I look forward to meeting you at Plas Tan y Bwlch,
Sally