Addressing divinities

…er, well I’m not entirely sure. Despite being supposedly all the things you say, they can often be quite parochial in their outlook and behaviour…

1 Like

Well if it’s good enough for our own ‘God-of-Grammar’, a certain Mr Gareth King … :wink:

3 Likes

“Ein Baruch, yr hwn wyt yn y nefoedd”

Doesn’t sound too bad to me?

1 Like

Do Welsh parents ever address their children as “chi” in order to make it clear that they are in trouble after some misdemeanour (like the way some parents switch from pet name to formal name in a similar situation)?

1 Like

Love the ‘sancteiddier’ and ‘gwneler’. Am I right in thinking that these are some sort of obsolete impersonal imperative forms? And that the ‘deled’ and ‘gwared’ are subjunctives? Ah, they don’t make them like that any more…

By the way, I should point out that “Baruch” is Hebrew for “Blessed”. Equivalent to “Barack” as in POTUS or “Mubarak” as in “Hosni”.
Maybe we should be addressed as “Ti” with a capital T? :slight_smile:

2 Likes

You’re all overthinking this.

Any goddess (I have my favourite), god or similar entity claiming divine status is ipso facto and by definition above any footling human considerations of address etiquette. Default choice is ti, and that’s what goes.

Obviously when there’s more than one of them in the room, of course, you’d still need to address them collectively as chi - but that’s a separate issue…

:slight_smile:

8 Likes

I believe that Michael (my Sunday best name) means “near to god” in Hebrew. :slight_smile:

I’ll buy that. :slight_smile:

“Michael” means exactly “Who is like God?” in Hebrew.

3 Likes

I was just wondering how common “dyro” is these days. Lovely versatile little contraction of dy and rhoi, but is it really common and i’ve been oblivious to it or is it a bit rare and old fashioned? I guess it works like this: Dyro dy law i mi?, dyro fe nol i mi?

I know it’s in a few Bob Delyn A’r Ebillion songs, so Twm Morys for one is still using it :slight_smile:

1 Like

We use it often, especially with the dog during an energetic fetch session when we want him to let go of the stick!

Here is Ceiri, in one of his favourite places during one of his favourite pastimes.

6 Likes

Interesting thought, but actually no, they don’t. But throwing in a middle name during a talking to (as in any language I guess) will show that you are serious. :wink:

2 Likes

Loving this thread.

I prefer to be referred to in the third person…

The Divine Sharon o Gaernarfon loves this thread.

7 Likes

I think that’s in fact the Italian formal way of addressing someone.

1 Like

4 posts were split to a new topic: Problems getting into Slack

:joy:

1 Like

Diolch yn fawr,

Great picture and chuffed about dyro - all those years at schools saying gweiddi’r arglwydd, the yn oes oesoedd version, make it seem like an old friend.

Yup, the third person feminine is Italy’s “chi” :smiley:

I think she got in in the end :blush:

3 Likes

This reminded me of a Romanichal (English Romani Gypsy) joke I came across online:

Two Romanichals were adrift in mid-ocean on a raft, after their ship went down. The first lifted his arms to the heavens and cried "Oh Lord, if you get me out of this, I'll give you both my trailers, two piles of copper pipe and a whole set of Crown Derby." The second, hearing this, then raised his own arms and said "Lord, if you save me, I'll give you six trailers, ten piles of scrap, and seven sets of Crown Derby!" The first looked at him and said "Hang on, you haven't got six trai- ", but the second cut in quickly and hissed "Kecker! Mandy's jeein' the gaira!
The Anglo-Romani punchline is something like "Shut up! I'm feeding the guy a line!" -- on the basis that not even God understands Anglo-Romani. Which then leads me to two other thoughts. One, the serious one, is that you can see that the syntax and grammar of the Anglo-Romani is basically just straightforward English -- it's only the words that are changed, in line with @mcbrittany's observations on French word-order in Breton. Secondly, you could probably tell this with the punchline in Welsh, although I imagine you might have to substitute a holiday cottage and a whole stack of love spoons for the trailers and the Crown Derby :)

ETA: Although telling it in Welsh might offend any who think Welsh in point of fact to be God’s own language :slight_smile:

4 Likes