Advanced Listening: Radio Cymru - News - Transcript and Translation

The morning and evening ‘news’ programmes on Radio Cymru - Post Cyntaf and Post Prynhawn - have very high conversational content so seem like a great way to switch on and get a bit of listening practice.

However, the language used - which is day-to-day vocab for Cymro’s - is a bit more challenging for learners as it’s about accidents and incidents and ministers and spokespeople making statements…governments, politicians, assembly members etc etc etc. Tricky…but actually what most of us want to be able to understand too - or me anyway - a ‘normal’ radio bulletin.

Well…this may be old news but I have discovered that the articles on the BBC Cymru site …are a very, very close match to the actual script (yes!) - as it is read out on the radio - with the quotes given, fairly verbatim to the sound bites/ interviews too. So, these articles are very close to being transcripts of the news items.

In addition there is the Vocab button which you can use which adds hyper-links to the Cymraeg which you can click to get the English. So, you have a translation - nearly.

If you use the iPlayer, you can of course listen to these programmes whenever you have a chance (click on Menu and then Schedule).

So…you can listen - before or after brushing up by reading the transcript!

Rich :sunny:

15 Likes

BBC Cymru site accessible by scrolling down in bbc website:

Vocab button - top right…showing pop up if you press a linked word…

Radio Cymru schedule…play at anytime…

6 Likes

That is brilliant Rich! Thanks so much for sharing it’s just what I need to take the next step in my listening and building vocabulary.
Jo😁

5 Likes

Sorry this is a good few months after your post. The “Vocab” button is great. Only officially on week 6 but sneaking ahead ahead as im sure most do.

Looking on BBC Cymru now. Reading a heading “wedi gweld eisiau Mamgu a Taid yn ofnadwy” translated as missed Granmother and Grandfather terribly. Is “wedi gweld eisiau… yn ofnadwy” being used as in “have needed or wanted to see… terribly”? And word order question would “wedi eisiau gweld” not be right for “have needed to see”?

Diolch.

1 Like

Hi @morgan1009

Yes, this is a bit idiomatic - ‘weld eisiau’ is an alternative way of saying ‘missing’ to colli - and wedi makes it a complete thing - missing -> missed.

…so “missed Nain and Taid terribly”. (Grandma and grandad)

You can see a few things in Welsh which you can’t in English - including smells and emotions ! :smile:

Rich :slight_smile:

Thanks @rich.

Very helpful. Similar to “eto” being yet and again then.

Thanks for helping.

:+1:

1 Like

How did you get the vocab button to show up?

Has the site changed since then?

Hi @cal-1

Bad news - good news…

Yes, bad news first, unfortunately the button was quietly withdrawn from Cymru Fyw - I didn’t see any mention of it - it just disappeared. It is surprising seeing as they had gone to the trouble of developing it - and in view of how supportive they are of learners. :thinking:

However - Good News…I’ve just chacked and you can do the same with Golwg 360. :man_dancing::dancer: :tada:

See the screenshot below - this seems to work in exactly the same way as it used to work on Cymru Fyw.

Press the Vocab button and then you can press on a word to see what it means.

Rich :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like