Amount of Welsh in Wales: Question for First Language Welsh Lurkers predominantly

Um… maybe I could skim-read the comments on them - would that count?..:wink:

3 Likes

Only just noticed this, @garethrking. Please let us know where to find these! Do I have to join something to see them? Like YouTube?

…but you will be introducing these in your youtube grammar lessons… :wink:

I haven’t done any yet, @henddraig, just a little intro vid. If you want to see that, then type Gareth King Welsh grammar into youtube search field and it should come up…

1 Like

Yes of course @louis - I’ll make some up and see how long before the language police notice, shall I? :wink:

3 Likes

Thanks - diolch! Will have to listen tomorrow on lap top, too faint on ipad and I don’t know how to turn up the sound! From what I’ve seen so far, you are too self-effacing! Don’t put yourself down!

1 Like

That’s not something I often get accused of!! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Could you please make sure to mention the inessive, elative and illative cases?

1 Like

Migration is a factor…Most of my Welsh speaking friends left Wales to live in England to study or work from 18 years onwards (I’m nearly 30 now and living in England)…due to lack of jobs investment here…however some did end up in Casnewydd(Newport) or Caerdydd (Cardiff ) now…
Many said “we’ll come back when we have family at 40 ish”…but that remains to be seen

(also many of the uni educated children of English incomers have left Wales…but many of the less educated ones…have stayed. When I went home…most youth are the non-Welsh speaking variety I used to know - as they doing lower paid work etc)

An even more short term issue with the census results…is families assuming their children are learning Welsh in school…and writing on the census that their children speak Welsh (when they aren’t) - hence big drop off when the children grow up and fill their own census - being honest

in 2001…supposedly 40% of Blaenau Gwent kids spoke Cymraeg…a nonsense of course…8-10% at a push in reality
Parents don’t realise how English medium most schools are

My parents thought my school was bilingual…but only taught 2 lessons of Welsh in 6 years

In other words…while children in East Wales are unreasonably high % Welsh speaking…many of the middle aged Welsh speakers across Wales are now only 10% of their corresponding cohort
11th hour stuff frankly

3 Likes

As if I wouldn’t!

And I shall be dealing extensively and in painful detail with the ergative…

4 Likes

I am put off!!
I listened to you on my laptop and heard the bit about you being good, which is less self-effacing than the part I’d heard!
The bit abut being cuddly is excellent for those of a nervous disposition, but nasty red pencil wielding teachers just made me determined to show them!
I was about to ask you to let me know when and how to subscribe when I read the above. I looked up ‘ergative’ and didn’t understand the explanation! I am 75 and have managed all this time without it, so I think I can probably get by with the grammar I recall from Grammar School!!! :wink:

2 Likes

You must learn to love the ergative, @henddraig. Mere acknowledgement of its existence is not enough. You must love it… :confused:

3 Likes

Without the ergative? You haven’t lived! :wink:

3 Likes

Watched and liked! That wasn’t too frightening…:slight_smile:

[I’ve always believed that an obvious early show of enthusiasm can help you slide carefully into the background as time goes by…]

2 Likes

Personally, I’ve always found the ergative to be hard work…

Ha ha! I see what you did there, @louis ! :wink:

2 Likes

Oh, I’m not saying I never use it! Just that I didn’t and still don’t know its name! (The ergative is hard work…so is it the subject of a sentence?)

1 Like

I’m sure we’re all happy with the notion that the ergative case is used for the subject of transitive verbs, while a different case is used for both subjects of intransitive verbs AND objects of transitive verbs. Now is that clear?

This all makes Welsh seem considerably easier than you all thought, surely? Which is a result! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Now I’m waiting for the lesson that explains which intransitive verbs are unaccusative (e.g. he ran) and which ones are unergative (e.g. he fell).

(Oh, and in case it wasn’t clear - this is just, as best I can tell, linguistics geeks having fun amongst ourselves. If you don’t understand the technical jargon, don’t worry; none of this will really be “on the test”.)

3 Likes

I’m glad your question has been so extensively answered :wink:

I’ve become much more aware of Welsh, but I had very little awareness of how well spread it was prior to learning. I feel that there is more opportunity to use Welsh in Cardiff. More than merely that I now can. I think businesses are using Welsh more. There are more Welsh cafés and the like.

2 Likes