Amusing ways you remember new phrases while learning

Bit of an odd topic here!

So I was learning the phrase “ddylen i ddim” (I shouldn’t) in Challenge 21, Level 1 of the South dialect last night and was having a real problem remembering it. Out of nowhere my brain made me think of that Robbie Williams’ song - Millennium which bizarrely fits over saying “ddylen i ddim”. Since then I can somehow recall it at will! I should add I haven’t thought about or heard that song in years haha!

Has anyone else had bizarre and amusing experiences like this while learning?
ps it’s my first topic so if it’s in the wrong forum let me know!
pps if there is a similar thread I will move there!

4 Likes

Lara loves these kinds of things, some of my favourite she has come out with include:

Cwmpo lawr y star (Southern!) - Fall down the stairs - If you fall down the stairs, you go and claim ‘compo’, which sounds like Cwmpo.

Yn aml - Often - You should brush your teeth often, what is on your teeth? - Enamel (groan).

2 Likes

The way I learnt “it depends = mae’n dibynnu” was with the phrase:

It depends on whether you mind a bunny

3 Likes

I also like mnemonics, but I think they can only get you so far. However, the funny ones are worth knowing because, well, they’re funny.

llefrith (milk in some areas) makes me think of leverett, a baby hare, so I have a mental picture of a baby hare trying to get into a bottle of milk. (But I don’t have trouble remembering llefrith in any case, or llaeth, the other word for milk).

What I do sometimes wonder about is how people differentiate the sound of “llaith” (damp) from “llaeth”. Presumably context would usually indicate which meaning is intended.

Exactly! How many homophones (is that the right word?) are there in English? Strawberry or traffic jam? Which witch? Meet for meat? +++++ :wink:

1 Like

Only a problem in some dialects I suspect - Llaeth and Llaith would sound quite differently in the dialects I here most down south - ive never heard anyone say llaith mind, but i imagine it would be like craith and rhyme with breath and Llaeth rhymes with bath.

1 Like

My latest is ceiliog, which is a bit like Kellogg, whose corn flakes boxes show a cockerel.

Tenuous? Maybe, but it works for me.

1 Like

Not tenuous at all according to the story - the cockeral is the symbol for Kelloggs precisely because Kellogg sounds like ceiliog!

(and many other sources!)

5 Likes

Well, I didn’t know that! But I don’t suppose that I’ll ever forget it now. Diolch @siaronjames

2 Likes

that is a great piece of random information! Diolch!

1 Like

Aces!
Mr Kellogg’s foundation, I have just discovered, helped found Kellogg College, Oxford, where on the occasional Friday, my husband sneaks in to eat lunch. I can’t resist calling it Coleg Kellogg, which I find highly amusing (don’t get out much :joy:).

Me either! :grinning:

4 Likes

Might have slightly misunderstood your post :joy:

7 Likes

4 Likes

I remember ysgwyd - “to shake” by imagining myself shaking a squid until I remember the word. (I would never really treat an animal like this :slight_smile: .) I actually prefer siglo to “ysgwyd” but that’s another matter.

2 Likes

…and “cadair siglo” is a rocking chair, I have just discovered.

1 Like

Now that is something I’d love to have, but my little dog would not be pleased as she would not fit with my laptop and various ‘zappers’!

a new one I had to come up with today because I can’t remember at all:
He-Man in the phrase: “Oes 'da chi blant eich hunain”! haha!

1 Like