An exciting change coming down the pipes

Ti byth yn stopio, ndwyt?

Sounds great, I would sign up and pay, depending on the cost - Judith James

This sound’s really exciting. For those of us that have finished level 3 will it build on that? Since finishing level 3 I’m still finding it difficult to continue learning at the same pace I was when doing levels 1-3. So anything that would be like a level 4 would be much appreciated!

Aran, my only concern is if this would lose the wonderful human pronunciation we’re getting with the “manual” tutor? Your “don’t worry about it” is one of the things that keeps me going :slight_smile:

But if it’s just an adaptive algorithm to point you at the right point in lesson materials similar to what we have now, I’m all for it!

2 Likes

Wow, such amazing news! Can’t wait to see how it looks.

I don’t hang around here so much anymore because I’m focusing on building my vocab, listening and reading skills, but I had Radio Cymru on yesterday while trying to assemble our new flat-pack bed when @aran appeared to say that something like 40,000(?!) people were now learning with SSiW. Surely that can’t be right? That’s astronomical!

3 Likes

sounds great but i am slow

with my heart in my mouth I will accept your terrifying offer of an ‘automatic Welsh tutor’.

2 Likes

I think I said 50k-60k - it was Hywel, I think, who said 40k, so I didn’t want to disappoint him (and only have a vague general idea, but I think that’s not too far off the mark) - but fingers crossed we’re getting closer to being able to make much more serious pushes in England and north America… :slight_smile:

And nice to ‘see’ you, Sam! Hope you’re keeping well… :slight_smile: And with listening, I do strongly recommend our advanced content - often tough, but really, really valuable…

1 Like

sounds good to me!!

1 Like

Fantastic idea !

1 Like

Sounds great! :blush:

1 Like

Dw medwl didorol methu aros

1 Like

Fi chwaith! Nor me! :slight_smile:

I’m told that we’ve done a good first step with getting the code we need ready for this, and that we’re now looking at how it works with interfaces and so on - the most optimistic guess I’ve heard for starting to release is about a month or so, the most cautious is by next January, so it will probably be somewhere between those two… :wink:

4 Likes

Here’s a North American still working it out and doing the best I can here.
I have long been wanting an AI way of learning as well!

1 Like

@aran I check this feed ever so often anticipating an update on the virtual tiwtor. I have a live tiwtor too and won’t stop that but I think this would be a great supplement. I am willing to beta test if needed.
Sometimes for fun I use the Macsen app put out by Prifysgol Bangor to ask it’s preloaded questions in Cymraeg.
I am sure this new software will be more flexible.

1 Like

It will be, and we’re getting closer and closer all the time - currently hoping that we’ll be able to start test-driving the first layer in January… :crossed_fingers: :slight_smile:

4 Likes

@aran. I’m curious how this project is coming along? It is January :).
Diolch.

1 Like

It cant come soon enough for me. I feel im at an important junction at the moment. Where my head has stopped taking in the new words and im forgetting those ive already learned.

1 Like

So, we have a kind of beta version operating, and we’re going to test drive it with users for our English-for-Spanish-speakers course (which will still look fairly similar to the current Welsh stuff, but operating differently behind the scenes) - and then we’re going to test the full stripped-down version for our English-for-Mandarin-speakers course…

Once we know that it’s holding up and not exploding in any unexpected ways, we’ll start looking at moving the Welsh content over into it and making it an option for our Welsh learners… :slight_smile:

But @stephen-wilding-hewi - where have you got to? It often feels as though you’re forgetting words, but what’s actually happening is they’re kind of bobbing up and down on the surface of your conscious control - they never go back down to being completely unknown - so if you keep on working through the process, you’ll find they become available to you more and more consistently… but as I say, if you let me know what stage you’re at, I’ll have a clearer insight into how things are going for you… :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Im currently on challenge 21, level 1.

1 Like