Anglicisms

I often wonder if ok is actually welsh - oh Cei has the same sort of meaning., sort of???

Mmmm… doubt it, very strongly indeed… but it’s a fun kind of equivalency… :slight_smile:

1 Like

Iawn. :thumbsup: :slight_smile:

1 Like

Bananas - that reminds me of something my mother told me. When she was little, bananas came from a company they called “vuffies” because it was written on the crates. That’s how you pronounce “Fyffes”, isn’t it? When she was a bit bigger they didn’t have bananas at all because there was a war on.

2 Likes

I think the funniest request for directions was when my dad was asked where “Peely-Wheely” was.
I hope he found Pwllheli…
Not so much an Anglicism as a…:thinking:

2 Likes

Wel, after all, it is your language to use as you see fit. I wholeheartedly agree with you.

Every time I visit my family in The Netherlands, I become annoyed at the amount of English used on radio and tv, particularly in advertising. It is considered ‘cool’ to use English words, somehow.

4 Likes

Thank you Louis. At risk of offending anyone, I see it as lazy. I’m all for language evolution when it makes it easier, maybe a new word, and so on, but when there is already a perfectly good word in Welsh I see that not as evolution but as dilution.

I must say though that using an Engliah word when you don’t know the Welsh is ok to keep conversations flowing but I at least try to learn the word for next time.

Maybe I’m digging a hole but that is how I feel.

5 Likes

I would absolutely defend your right to take that position. I don’t really agree with you, and I think you’re swimming against a very powerful tide, but there’s nothing at all wrong with that and it will only make you leaner and fitter [metaphor goes off in a weird direction, sorry].

2 Likes

Yeah, I don’t think many people would agree with me on this but then it wouldn’t be a fight if they did. :slight_smile:

1 Like

I take it you’re also going to avoid using words like ‘licio’, ‘cusanu’ and so on?.. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Don’t be soft, you know what I’m getting at. (Polite version because I’m not allowed to swear on here.) :smile: :wink:

2 Likes

And you just know that the next time I see you, I’m going to ask you for what date is your cut-off point - just so that I don’t upset you by using the wrong words from English, you know… :wink:

1 Like

I was rather expecting cusanu to have been superseded by something like snogio. Or maybe it has…

1 Like

I can’t believe that I’m getting shit over this, maybe I’ll just stop trying to speak Welsh at all. :angry:

:laughing: :wink:

2 Likes

I must be a touch younger! I had to learn what bananas. pineapples etc were! Never have liked banana much and went off pineapples, but remember my poor mother faced with explaining how something could be a bit like a pine cone and also an apple![quote=“louis, post:26, topic:10916”]
Every time I visit my family in The Netherlands,
[/quote]
I remember being surprised that a traffic cop in Rotterdam spoke very good English in about 1970, and any visiting scientists I met from the Netherlands spoke it. Then I visited in the '80’s and found most TV from UK and USA just shown undubbed, clearly it was expected that any local would be able to understand English perfectly!

to @gruntius I am sure nobody would suggest that what happens to less widely spoken languages is good, but I suspect it is getting more and more inevitable with the internet spreadng American everywhere. But things tend to go in cycles. Maybe before long the ‘save our language’ movements will gain momentum.e.g. Catalan. Also, Cymraeg at San Steffan (Westminster, in Welsh Grand Committee)…Maybe the Netherlands will backlash too? Oh and @louis can you explain why it is not correct to say ‘Holland’? ‘The Netherlands’ seems a bit, well, not quite a name somehow!

1 Like

Swsio is pretty common, as are swsys - not sure what the derivation is. Mind you, you’ll certainly hear snogio, if you move in the right circles… :slight_smile:

It’s just a bit of malu c… c… c… cacen siocled… :joy:

3 Likes

I just had another – trying to think in Welsh about what I was going to say to S4C to chase up not having heard back to an email, my thoughts were pottering merrily along in Welsh without thinking first in English (hurrah!) till this happened:
Me: Dw i sinithos…
Also me: Hang on, that’s Greek.
Still me: No, the Welsh for ‘usually’ is ‘yn arferol’. Oh blast, now I’m thinking in English…

But it’s only ever Greek words that I can make with Welsh sounds!

1 Like

I think Holland is actually an area of the Netherlands. (That’s what I heard on QI anyway.)

2 Likes

This is a long standing area of debate and the language police do play a role in moderating the rate of change, but they’ll never stop it.

No one except a language student or expert would ever understand old English or anglo-saxon, which accounts for less than a third if the vocab in modern English - a third coming from French and another third, directly from a mix of others like latin and greek or wherever.

Language purity is a funny notion - all modern languages are pretty much mongrels.

2 Likes