Anglicisms

very probably

Because, I think, so and/or felly are often more of a punctuation mark than a meaningful word (therefore). Speakers will just stick them in to provide breathing- or thinking-space, or out of unthinking fashionable habit. And when youā€™re not really thinking, itā€™s very easy for so or felly to become so, felly - a kind of double punctuation mark. I know Iā€™ve done it myself. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Exactly :smile:

Which leads on to one of my bad habits where I find myself always saying ā€œso, fellyā€¦ā€

No idea why I do that.

1 Like

Shnap! Like saying um as Rob said too.

and ā€œLikeā€, in the exact same way I use it in English.

I come back from football, my wife asks me how we played. I reply

ā€œOā€™nhwā€™nā€¦ likeā€¦ ofnadwyā€ (They wereā€¦likeā€¦ terrible)

Canā€™t help myself :D:D

Iā€™m a man of my age, coming from where I come fromā€¦ like isā€¦ like my 3rd most used word.

Iā€™m with you there too haha! And often say ā€œlike, felā€¦ā€

1 Like

When I was trying out audacity, I found myself saying ā€œreit, welā€ on repeat and it was annoying the hell out of me and I feel sorry for anyone who had to listen to it, because I hated it myself.

I donā€™t know where that came from - never say it much in English or not that Iā€™m aware of anyway - I guess there are reflexes - certain words just come from somewhere almost instinctively, without thinking.

Reit, nawrā€¦ Or 'Right, now then," I eventually realised I said it so regularly when about to do something that my dogs jumped down or up as appropriate and were ready and waiting!

1 Like

If you want to Cymraegify it: ā€œreit teā€ or ā€œnawr teā€ are lovely little tags that get used :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I use nawr te but I had doubts about ā€˜teā€™! Isnā€™t that tea?

The 'te here is a contraction of ā€˜nawr ynteā€™.

2 Likes

Diolch yn fawr iawn iawn! Iā€™ve said it for decades and almost bitten tongue, embarrassed by what I thought was ā€˜not proper Welsh!ā€™ Now I can rattle it off with a clear conscience! Mm is this an example of how native speakers feel embarrassed by their ā€˜not good Welshā€™ ??

1 Like

No I donā€™t think so. More an example of not having faith in what youā€™ve learnt.

Living with a native speaker with the mentioned complex, itā€™s more to do with lack of confidence with their grasp of the fabric of the language. When to treiglo and things like that. More deep seated.

See, Iā€™m always demanding tea, so it works well either way for meā€¦:grin:

2 Likes

I hope it doesnā€™t look like Iā€™m trolling this thread if I just leave this hereā€¦

Thereā€™s so much going on here, but all of it is recognisably Caernarfon.
And the only thing that really grates with me about this is tiā€™n taxi instead of ti yn taxi and isdaā€™n ffrynt instead of isda yn ffrynt. To me, tiā€™n taxi doesnā€™t mean anything and canā€™t mean anything other than youā€™re a taxi. :grimacing:

4 Likes

GARETH!!!

I lyyyfio Gareth!

2 Likes

Is the ā€œsoā€ English or Welsh here - i.e. best mates with the driver or not - Iā€™m guessing not?

ā€œWhen youā€™re in a taxi on the way home after a night out and itā€™s you that has to sit in front, so you make best friends with the driverā€
Note the characteristically dropped final letter of ffordd, the e dropped off efo, and the absolutely mangled gorfod.

2 Likes

I still have a lot of Gog to pick-up yet would never have guessed gorfod - thought it was short for gorilla.

I wrongly thought ā€œso ti gneudā€ was ā€œyou donā€™t makeā€. I totally got the meaning of that wrong, thinking:

ā€¦and youā€™re a gorrilla sitting in front, you donā€™t make best mates with the driver.