Anglicisms

I like nodiadur more.

I think the i stands for innovative

So if we did translate foreign products: pad-a or pad-n?

Pad-arloesedd or Pad-newyddbeth?

Actually scrap that the I stands for loads of things.

Personally I think we should use ā€˜padidotā€™ and ā€˜ffĆ“nidotā€™ for iPad and iPhone - not that Iā€™ve heard anyone do so, I just like the sound of the words! :wink:

Being brand names they would not normally need a translation/Welsh term, but I think they are well on the way to becoming (or pretty much have become) a generic term much like Hoover, Jacuzzi or Google, so a Welsh word for a generic term hopefully wouldnā€™t infringe too much on Appleā€™s copyright!

2 Likes

Yes - I was just being a bit silly - doesnā€™t always come across that well on things like this.

Heard cnapiau cyw iar being discussed for a bit of fun - meaning chicken nuggets, this morning by the way! One of the presenters actually knew it already and they thought it was good for a bit of fun.

1 Like

Haha, no donā€™t worry it did come across! I like these games!

@siaronjames i like ffĆ“nidot that has a nice ring to itā€¦Iā€™ll get my coatā€¦

6 Likes

Diolch yn fawr! I am signing up! On my new laptop!
To @mikeellwood
I think we have ascertained that I am older than you and I am not notably flexible, although I am fairly skinny, but I first got a laptop back on Gower so that I could avoid having to go up to my office and could work on the sofa downstairs with my dogs. I have never used it and its successors anywhere but on my knee! It never occurred to me that it would be possible! It is very comfy like this. The only problem is if oneā€™s dogā€¦ well Sammi used to put a paw out and type seeeeeeeex. Toffi wants to lick the screen!

I think Iā€™m missing something hereā€¦does ā€œdotā€ or ā€œidotā€ have a special meaning?

oh hang onā€¦GPC tells me that ā€œidotā€ means a ā€œdotted iā€. Is that where this comes from?
In which case, I like it too. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

yes, i (when spelling or reciting the alphabet for instance) is i-dot (pronounced ee-dot). Because a u makes almost the same ee sound, to differentiate between them when spelling/saying alphabet, it is u-bedol (pronounced ee-bedol).

1 Like

Yes, I know in theory they should be very good for that sort of thing, but I never ever felt comfortable using them that way. Wobbly keyboard for one thing. I suppose if one was watching a film or something it might be ok.

Ah well you see, that could account for the difference between us then, since Iā€™m not remotely skinny! :slight_smile:

Aha, thanks Siaron. The Welsh alphabet is one of those things I feel I really ought to get to grips with ā€œone of these daysā€. :slight_smile:

1 Like

My problem with the Welsh alphabet is trying to avoid the urge to say ā€˜missusā€™ at the end after w (ooh), y (er)ā€¦ :sweat_smile:

6 Likes

I am terrible for this when I really mean felly and end up repeatedly doing the ā€˜so, fellyā€¦ā€™ cycle!

1 Like

Hahaha! I LOVE Wales Shark! Once I started watching his vlog, I had to watch all 38 videos before I could go to bed!

He taught me my favorite (although apparently never used) word in Welsh so far: Ffawdheglu - which he defined literally as ā€œfate skedaddling / fate scooting,ā€ more commonly referred to in English as hitchhiking. Hahahaha! Absolutely love it. ā€¦ and the part about King Arthur and bodioā€¦ oh dear!

I wish he was still making videos, the guy has a knack for making words memorable! ā€œThatā€™s what the internet is for! ā€¦Iā€™m sorry, Iā€™ll stop.ā€ :+1: :blue_car: :rofl:

(A word of warning, not suitable for kids or work)

2 Likes

Although he doesnā€™t make videos anymore, despite how much I pester him every time I see him - he does pop up every now and then on a Hansh videoā€¦

Last time I saw him he was working behind the camera for Boom Cymru, who are a Welsh TV company who make a lot of shows for BBC and S4C. Really nice guy to boot!

3 Likes

I think people mixing up Saesneg and Cymraeg as they talk is quite fun. Thereā€™s another great s4c programme called Bwyd Epic Chris - about this community cook who does some pretty daft meaty cooking.

Anyway, the way he talks is really interesting - totally mixing up the languages. In one sentence I heard, he was talking about time. He said (something like) ā€œDylai fe goginio am pedwar awr - until three oā€™clockā€

I do love the idea of using Cymraeg numbers for one part of a thought and English numbers for another.

Older people here have told me this is a disgusting thing that ā€œignorant people from Llanelliā€ do (which is hilarious - given that Iā€™ve walked down the street in my town in the Valleys hundreds of times and never yet overheard a single person speaking Welsh).

It seems some people think it is better to hear no Welsh at all except in the back of a church on a Wednesday morning than to risk having people actually use and misuse it as a daily language.

Personally Iā€™d rather hear it grammatically messed up and mixed up with English than not at all.

4 Likes

I think youā€™ve hit on something there. Some people probably think it belongs in Chapel, the Bible, and certain classical literary or historical works. And that to hear it outside is perhaps a form of sacrilege.

No I mentioned the church because a local group of old men meet there to talk in Welsh. Outside of that group, almost nobody speaks Welsh at all.

1 Like

I just think that mwfi (or possibly mwfu?) would make such a better loanword than ffilm. Does anybody use it? It sounds so much more natural in the flow of conversation. Is anyone with me on this? Can we make this happen? Should it be spelled with an i, Ć®, or u? Am I crazy?

When Welsh adopted the loan word ā€œffilmā€, that was the correct British English word for the medium. ā€œMovieā€ was, in my youth, considered very American. However, as films are no longer necessarily on film and people use ā€œmovieā€ a lot more than they used to, then I donā€™t see why you canā€™t use ā€œmŵfiā€ (or however one might decide to spell it) in Welsh. Speaking personally Iā€™d put a to bach over the W to lengthen it.

2 Likes