Announcing: our new '6 Month Welsh Speaker' course

That sort of stuff is the real gold dust - although one step up from that would be to try and find/bribe someone who’d do one-on-one with you for an hour or so a week… you get through so much more one-on-one, with nowhere to hide… :wink:

If you think that’s worth it, that will be my first challenge when I get back home. :wink: I could always volunteer somewhere or loiter outside the Merched y Waur until they let me in.

Not just worth it, it’s the gold standard - get yourself an hour of one-on-one conversation every week (or two hours, even better!) and you’ll be a competent conversationalist in a matter of months (and from then on, it’s just about how much immersion you can or can’t build into your life - but you’ll be a fully-fledged, competent, yup-happy-to-talk-Welsh-to-you person)… :slight_smile:

Hi Aran,
I have a similar problem in that I will be unable to take part in the weekly Thursday sessions due to work. I think I would benefit from the intensive course but worried I might not keep up if I don’t take part in these sessions at all.

Keep up the good work.

Just signed up - so excited! It’s been a few years since my last SSIW practice, I think I got as far as the first vocab set and then life happened.

1 Like

Probably best for you to hang on for a few weeks until we have more evenings available - but even then, I would want to make the point that the group calls are more for moral support than anything! At the moment, there’s quite a lot of interaction for everyone - but as the group size grows (which is already happening) we will get to the point where it’s mostly listening plus some hot-seating. Now, listening is good, and helpful, and having access to video Q&As is good - but at the same time, you have a private support channel where you can get answers any time, and you’ll have plenty of more focused listening work to do… :slight_smile:

Brilliant! I bet you’ll surprise yourself by how quickly it all comes back - really looking forward to seeing how it works out for you… :slight_smile:

Just signed up! I’m near the end of level one now so hopefully this will give me the kick I need to take me to the next level. Plus now living in England I’m hoping I can get some better practice through the skype conversations as I don’t go back home nearly often enough to interact with actual speakers lol :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Great, welcome aboard - you should find the early stages leisurely (since you’ll be revising the lesson material, so you can focus on the nice and easy tasks) - but we’ll get you under valuable pressure later on… :wink:

Cheers Aran! I’m trying to get the family on board too, they’ve been trying to learn for years and not getting too far, so hopefully this might sort us out :slight_smile:

1 Like

Make sure you give yourself a bit of a head start so that you can look knowingly at them and say ‘Oh, yes, I remember that stage was a bit tricky’… :wink:

1 Like

Well, apparently without us doing anything - my father in law has signed up and is awaiting his first email!

Exciting times!

5 Likes

Yup. We’ve been talking about you… :wink:

1 Like

ooh-er

1 Like

So just to clarify - it is £50 a month, so £300 over all for the 6 months?

Hi Elen - we’re getting a lot of people asking that - and quite a few people telling us that should be the price…

But no, it’s £50 total - for now - we’ll be going up to £100, and are coming under quite a bit of pressure to go to £200 so that people really see the value, and really commit to the process… We’ll see… Our natural instincts are very much towards making sure everyone can afford it, but I’m hearing some convincing arguments that we haven’t got the balance right yet…

1 Like

Hi Aran, this sounds brilliant! However not sure if I should sign up, as I can’t make any of the Thursday sessions during school term time as I teach in evenings.

Hi you would be able to listen to the Thursday evening group recording on YouTube. There is a conversation channel for the group on the course, you could ask in there if anyone would like to chat. I’m happy to chat away in Welsh, I’m a learner on the 6MWS course.

I’d say go for it well worth it I know I’m biased :joy:

4 Likes

Probably a good ideas for you to hang on until we can add some extra evenings - the group video stuff is certainly not essential, but it’s nice to have the option… :slight_smile:

Unfortunately I teach in the evenings throughout the week so still probably have same problem.

Just working my way through Week 1 and I know I’ve only just started but if you have the time to commit to this I’d highly recommend it. I’ve been trying to learn with SSIW for a number of years but without deadlines and structure I always fall by the wayside. If, like me, you work better with the pressure of a deadline then this is the course for you. The fact that I’ve paid for this course is also an incentive, I think the fact that you offer the free introduction is great in that it gives people a taste of the method but as we all know, ‘people don’t always value something that’s free’ or perceived to be free. I think the work that is going into this course is phenomenal and the moderators are keeping really involved in the forums, both here and on Slack, which is an added incentive to work hard at the language. I’m looking forward to the Thursday hangout, although I do work shifts so won’t always be able to make it.

3 Likes