SSi Forum

Any Good Tips for Rolling Rs?

Just what the title asks.

Having grown up in Quebec, Canada, I speak both English and French. Despite that, I never really mastered rolling my Rs. The closest I can get is a sound similar to the ch in achos. That isn’t much of an issue in French, since there isn’t a ch sound to confuse it with, but I would like to get a little closer to the actual sound for Welsh.

I realize that it isn’t a huge issue since I would likely be understood regardless, but if I can find a way to get it right, why not?

There have been a few threads about this over the years with various different suggestions - here’s a couple:

Hopefully you’ll find something in those that works for you :slight_smile:

Thanks.
While I feel I have a reasonably good aptitude for learning languages, the actual pronunciation can be a bit of a bugbear.

In fact quite a few first language Welsh speakers can’t pronounce a ‘standard’ rolled ‘r’ - they do it instead by rolling the ‘r’ at the back of the throat in a similar way (to my ears, at least) to Parisian French :slightly_smiling_face:

When I studied phonetics at university we weren’t examined on /r/ because some people literally cannot produce the sound. So if you really can’t do it, don’t panic.

That said I learned Spanish for six years and couldn’t make it, then randomly spontaneously produced it while walking down the street, singing ‘Under Pressure’ to myself.So it may well happen even if you’ve given up hope.

Maybe. Strange things sometimes happen.