Anyone fancy a little Manx?

Lovely to meet you, Neil - and the bits of Welsh you shared sounded very assured - go and hunt some pain and I think you’ll surprise yourself! :slight_smile:

Sorry we weren’t hanging around and suggesting a drink or two (my usual post-presentation tactic!), but there were ‘get home in time to look after a kid’ issues going on - maybe next year!

2 Likes

This isn’t a reply to your last post Aran, but I’d just like to know how I make a post on the thread other than by choosing ‘reply’ to a previous message. Sorry, I am a bit dim on techie stuff!

:slight_smile:

Sorry Aran. Maybe I worded my question badly.
I want to make a post in the topic ‘Anyone fancy a little Manx’ rather than start a ‘new topic’ outside of this. But the post is not a ‘reply’ to a post already there. Having got into the ‘Anyone fancy a little Manx’ topic what have I got to do exactly to do this?

If you want to start a discussion about something to do with Manx that doesn’t fit well in this thread, your best option would be to go to ‘Other languages’ https://forum.saysomethingin.com/c/other-languages and click ‘New Topic’ up at the top right hand side there… :slight_smile:

I think I know what you’re after - right at the bottom of the thread, there’s buttons for bookmark, share, flag, invite and reply - you want the reply button on that row to reply to a thread without replying to any particular post.

1 Like

Thank you so much, hectorgrey. That is EXACTLY what I was ‘driving at’ by my clumsily worded question!

1 Like

Hi Aran & Adrian

What a fantastic learning tool you have worked together on here. A BIG THANK YOU to you both. You’ll probably remember me, Adrian, from the 1,000 words challenge back in 2015 I think. I was the guy who emailed you with lots of questions!

I really missed it when nothing was available for us off-islanders after that ended. I’ve worked through Level 1 in a couple of weeks and I really like the way random revision phrases are interspersed within the new phrases in each challenge. It gives more confidence that one isn’t learning ‘parrot fashion’. I’ve gone back to the ‘test cards’ I made myself when doing the 1,000 words (blank business cards with Manx words/phrases on one side, English on the other) and I’m amazed how much I’ve forgotten through not practicing for 18 months. Never mind, I am just glad to be ‘up and running’ again.

2 Likes

2 questions if you would be so kind, Adrian:

‘ta mee smooinaghtyn’ and ‘er lhiam’ appear interchangable. Are they? Or is ‘er lhiam’ a bit more like ‘it seems to me’?

I may be wrong but in one challenge I think ‘rish’ was said to mean ‘to HIM’ as opposed to ‘with’. I can understand that ‘to’ and ‘with’ are very similar if, for example, the verb is ‘speak’ but I couldn’t detect a pronoun for the ‘him’ bit, and this would have introduced something in a phrase which we hadn’t been taught, so I am confused here.

Regards
Graham

1 Like

Cheers for your positive comments and good to have you back on the Manx. Ta mee smooinaghtyn and Er-lhiam are pretty interchangeable to be honest although if you wanted to say ‘I am thinking in Manx’ then it would have to be ‘Ta mee smooinaghtyn ayns Gaelg’. Rish = unto and is used with certain verbs such as loayrt. Ta mee loayrt rish means I am speaking to him/it. However, ‘Ta mee loayrt ayns Gaelg = I am speaking in Manx’. Hope that helps!

1 Like

T’ou gobbragh er Jedoonee…Adrian boght!
Gura mie ayd, ansherbee.

Graham

2 Likes

Ta mee gobbaragh nish as reesht Jedoonee!

1 Like

I’m late to the party but anyway.

First … did I say Welcome to the forum yet @GrahamB? If not … Welcome to the forum first.

Then, just to mention, that a lot of useful "how to"s you are ablle to find here. It is at the Welsh side of the things but can be generally used for the whole forum. The catch is just to be at the right place, what means if you want to post in “other languages” thread you have to “be” there. If you want to reply to one topic, you have to be in that topic and use reply button (as @hectorgrey says) at the end of the thread. If you need ot reply to particular poster, you hit the Reply button under that particular post.

I hope this and all hints in the suggested topic can help you navigating through the whole forum and do the stuff you want.

:slight_smile:

1 Like

Feysht rish @adriancain, as peiagh erbee elley, my sailt:

My ta mee luckee dy liooar dy feddyn jees as tooilley deiney as mraane loayrt Gaelg, er y vaatey as er barroose foddee, vel eh kiart dy briaght? (after politely waiting for a gap in their coloayrtys, of course!):

Moghrey mie. Mish Graham. Ta mee er ve gynsach Gaelg rish bunnys hoght jeig meeghyn nish. Nee oo taggloo rhym ayns Gaelg rish traa gerrid dy cooney lhiam cliaghtey, my sailt?

You might want to tag @adriancain with that, to make sure he gets a notification… :slight_smile:

Thanks for the tip, aran, but just how does one ‘tag’ someone, please?

Ta mee dy hoiggal dy mie, agh cre ta oo laccal?

Does that mean ‘I understand well, but what do you want?’ If I am right, the answer would be ‘feedback on syntax etc’.

Just use the @ sign and then their account name - which for Adrian is adriancain :slight_smile:

I know I need to input ‘@adriancain’ from your previous post. What I don’t know is WHERE I do this. This may be obvious to folk who use social media every day, but not to dimwit little me!