Anyone fancy a little Manx?

Ah, right, I see - just in your post - exactly as you just did :slight_smile:

When one knows that, it’s ‘simples’ as the meerkats say! So the grey background is the software recognising it as a member address. Got it! I have now amended my original post to include Adrian’s address. Gura mie ayd son y cooney.

1 Like

Correct. I should have written ´dty’ for ´your/thy´ (in dty hoiggal), and I put ´laccal´ because I couldn´t find the right spelling for ´geerree´ (´seeking, wanting´).
Actually there´s probably some combination of ´ag + dty´ that I should have used.

BTW I replied to your post which somehow was flagged up for me, without seeing that it was the tail end of a long thread. Sorry folks, fow-jee uilley my leshtal!

Hi. I’m assuming the final bit was a Gaelg apology, but I don’t know what fow-jee means, nor can I find it on Taggloo Dictionary site, which I find useful to check spelling of difficult words before using them in posts. Do let me know, please.

At the risk of this becoming the blind leading the blind, ¨fow!¨ is (I HOPE!) the imperative for ´take, accept´ and the ´-jee´ extension makes it plural like American ´y´all´. ´leshtal´ is ´excuse´ it seems to have come from a phrase meaning ´half-story´.

Ah! So ‘fow’ is the imperative of ‘gow’ i.e. take/accept. And ‘jee’ is plural, maybe because ‘jees’ is ‘2’. Gosh, this is fascinating! How have you learnt these idiosyncrasies…and your Gaelg?

1 Like

I really, really shouldn´t go diving into Manx when I haven´t looked at it for a while!

I remembered the phrase as ¨Gow my leshtal¨, but thought that might be wrong, tried to look up the verb, and somehow looked at the wrong page. It´s not ¨fow(-jee)¨, that´s ¨get!¨ or ¨find!¨ The phrase for ¨I´m sorry¨ lit. ¨Take (i.e. accept) my excuse¨ is Gow my leshtal. It also means ¨excuse me¨ of course.

Idiocyncrasies of Gaelg? About 90% of them overlap with Gàidhlig (Scottish G.) which I read fairly often on tir nam blog (works like blogiadur). Or course it´s those 10% of times when Gaelg really is weird in it´s own delightful way that trip me up :wink:

Gaelg feer vie…
Jean oo taggloo / loayrt Gaelg rhym?
Ta mee er ve ayns Sostyn rish tammylt agh nish ta mee back ayns Mannin!

Gura mie mooar ayd.
‘Jean’…ta shen noa rhym, agh ta mee toiggle nish (ta mee shickyr t’eh ‘do?’ ayns Baarle).
Dty feysht…cha nel, agh neeym cummal ayns Mannin neesht ayns traa gerrid as ta mee geearree taaghey lessoonyn marish oo ny peiagh ennagh elley.

He´s inviting you to tagloo Gaelg rish (speak/converse in G. with him).

Ah! Myr shen, cha nel mee kiart. Neeym email @adriancain reesht ny s’anmey dy grah ‘gow my leshtal’ rish. Gura mie ayd.

Ta vel eh feeu copy paste teks ayns fockleyreen dys lessoonyn, ayns yn Word documad. Gaelg er y laue yesh cheu as Baarle er y laue hostal. Prental pabyr, as cliaghtey Baarle gys Gaelg as ymmodee keayrtyn.

1 Like

I do fancy a little Manx! In fact I’m up to Challenge 1, Level 2. Myr benynsee, t’eh ram symoil! S’mie shen. I’m really enjoying the lessons so far and I can feel them doing my Manx good. My goal is to visit Man sometime (I live in Melbourne, Australia) and have a Manx-only chat with some other Manx speakers.

2 Likes

Hi. I am back, briefly, having discovered Manx on here. I had to drop Welsh because there was nobody to practise with, which renders my technique useless, pretty much, and I took up Mandarin Chinese instead, which is going better. But I still had a craving for Welsh and now I find Manx, which actually appeals more. I wondered, I have done a little research and it seems there are about 1,000 Manx speakers. What I wanted to ask was, are there any non-Manx people fluent in Manx, or if not fluent, competent to say, B1 level? If so, and you are happy to get in touch, can I ask what resources you have used to get to that level, and what opportunities you have had for actual speaking practice? Thanks, and Happy New Year to all my polyglot friends :smiley:

Incidentally, the question is open to Manx residents, as I guess in some cases they have had to learn it as a foreign language, and therefore will be able to advise in the same way.

PS I know that the problem with Welsh as reported above is hardly likely to be less relevant with Manx, if not more so. I love languages and would learn more, but the right motivation makes a big difference, and do you know, this idea of conversational Manx really appeals.

1 Like

Isle of Man is great, I have never been there, but I know people from the island and others who have visited, and they always speak very highly of it.

Hi there and cheers for your question. I work as the Manx Language Officer for Culture Vannin in the Island and have worked with @aran in putting the Manx course together. Most people who have learned Manx have done so as a second language learner. Most are based in the Island though and they will have spent a good deal of time going to conversational classes etc. We run a buddy scheme on the Island for those who are very keen learners whilst I do a number of Skype conversational classes too. Perhaps that is something we could look at once you feel your Gaelg is at a good enough level. Good luck with it all though

2 Likes

I hope I am posting this in the right thread.
We celebrated the wedding today of the daugter of some good and old friends in Sydney, to a wonderful man whose ancestry turns out to be Manx. I could not believe my ears when one of his Manx aunties at the end of her valediction spoke Manx! Such a small world.

5 Likes

Hi there
is there a chance, that new lessons will come before Easter?. I’d like to have a bit more of Manx under my belt before visiting the island. I tried to learn on the site Learn.manx.com, but though I’ve learnt some grammar, I don’t think that what I’ve learnt there will help me with speaking.
And if you need someone to check lessons before publishing, I AM HERE !!!

oops sorry I didn’t want to shout :flushed:

1 Like

Might be hard pressed to get it sorted by then but fingers crossed, Have you tried the Learn Manx app on Google and iStore which is free and might fill in the gap a little?

2 Likes

Thank you for your reply. I know the Learn.Manx site, but not the App. (I don’t use my phone for learning) Is there different content? I tried your “1000 words” but it didn’t stick. Now I’m doing the podcasts, they’re good for understanding the grammar, but not for learning to speak. (And the teacher’s pronounciation is sometimes different to your’s).
Can you tell me where exactly in St John is your office and how I can get there from Peel by bus? Or is it in walking distance? And can I just join your lesson or do I have to apply for it?

1 Like