Anyone going to Cardiff Blues vs Scarlets tomorrow (Friday)

Do you guys know any good welsh language pubs/cafes in Cardiff? Plus anyone want to do a bit of a learners meet up before the game? Sorry for short notice.

1 Like

@Deborah-SSi and @ali know what’s what in Cardiff (as do plenty of others! @AnthonyCusack @Kinetic )

Unfortunately the stock has been a bit depleted recently. There are Welsh speaking staff in places but I’m not aware of any predominately Welsh speaking pubs anymore.

Yr Hen Lyfrgell closes at 4.30 unfortunately.
Canna Deli on Kings Road is Welsh speaking and open until 6pm
Kin and Ilk on Cathedral Road has a Cymraeg poster in it and I’ve been served in Welsh in there once. That’s open until 9
Y Bragdy a Chegin (Yr hen Mochyn Du) is not really a Welsh speaking pub anymore but is in a good location for the game and large enough to have a social.
The Conway has a Welsh speaking Barmaid, as does The Lansdowne. The Lansdowne does a bilingual pub quiz too - I think The Grange does too but I’m not certain.
The Grange may have Welsh speaking staff, it definitely feels like the sort of place that would. It’s also a lovely pub.

Sorry it’s not a particularly positive answer, but I hope this helps. I’m going to a place called Acapella tonight with a load of Cymry to see a Cornish folk band…as you do…but I won’t be at the game unfortunately. Enjoy!! Ymlaen y Gleision!

1 Like

I’m afraid I really don’t know of anywhere where you will find a lot of Welsh spoken. Before and after the Irish/Welsh match the Bragdy a Cegin was full of Welsh speakers (according to my husband who went there with our son!) but generally the staff are only English-speaking and some of the groups that used to meet there have moved elsewhere. The Cornwall, which is easily within walking distance of the Bluebirds ground, used to have Welsh speakers/learners meet there. Hope you manage to find somewhere!

1 Like