Anyone have the patience to Skype with a beginner?

Hi,

I’m nearly at the end of level 2 and I think I need to take the plunge and start having a few real conversations. I’ve only spoken Welsh twice so far and that was with an italki tutor. I have been putting off trying to have a conversation with a ‘real’ person as it were but my friend @onomatopoeicowl has convinced me that I need to be braver if I’m going to improve! So I was wondering if anyone feels like they have the patience to sit through a stuttery conversation with me :slight_smile: I was thinking no longer than half an hour and it would have to be after 7 in the evening uk time. (my 3 year old might also be with me depending on the time and whether the 1 year old is being co-operative over bedtime!).

4 Likes

I am hopeless, but lurk through @ramblingjohn’s Skype sessions which gather numbers of us and each can say something or nothing! It might be useful for you to join, say ‘Helo’ and see how much time we say nothing for, chip in if you feel inspired, answer any easy questions… leave when you want to, although it is polite to say you are about to go! Everyone is very friendly and they never object to my excursions into English when bereft of the words I need in Welsh! I am sure @ramblingjohn will be in touch with you now I have signalled him twice!

Hey! I’ve sent you a PM :slight_smile:

1 Like

I too would like to hold conversations on Skype. My problem is I am not techie and don’t know how to set up Skyping (if that’s the word) and don’t know how to invite, ask, plead with someone to be on the other end. It would be such an advantage to chat.

2 Likes

This might have some of the info you need, Anne - once you get Skype up and running, then I’m sure there’ll be people here who’ll help explain how to connect with other learners on it… :slight_smile:

https://support.skype.com/en/faq/FA11098/how-do-i-get-started-with-skype

I’m currently trying to help Anne install skype :smiley:

1 Like

:star: :star2:

Ti werth y byd :slight_smile:

1 Like

I’ve sent you a PM.

2 Likes

I’ve also sent you a PM.

1 Like

Thank you ‘Novem’ for the patience to help me set up Skype and for our chat. That’s what is good about this site - ask and it shall be done.

4 Likes

It is over-flowing with such lovely people, isn’t it? SSiWers are just the best. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

At the receiving end of some of the kindness at the moment. Yes, you, we, are the best in ways much bigger than ‘just’ learning Cymraeg.

3 Likes

Wow, thank you so much everyone for all your responses. I’m really grateful that you are all willing to give up some of your precious time to speak to me! ssiwers are brilliant :relaxed:

3 Likes

Francesca and I have just finished a 30 min. Skype chat. The conversation was flowing from children to work and back and it was definitely not stuttery. Diolch am y sgwrs a dw i’n edrych ymlaen at y tro nesa.
I’m looking forward to our next chat.

1 Like

Fantastic! Huge congratulations, Francesca, a diolch o galon, Brigitte… :slight_smile:

Thanks Brigitte :slight_smile: It was lovely talking to you!

1 Like

I would love to chat with anyone who is available. I am part way through course 2 (N) but have been learning for years through various methods. I think my Skype name is 286542f07b92a181. I am most likely to be around in the evenings.

2 Likes

A very warm welcome to the forum, Clare, and well done for jumping in with your first post! :star: :star2:

Have just had a Skype chat with @Francesca13 lasting an hour. Admittedly we had to break into Saesneg a fair bit of the time, but at least 50-60% of it must have been in Cymraeg. For someone who’s only been doing SSIW for four months, her Welsh is amazingly good. We covered the usual topics - family, work, interests & so on - and in future chats we hope to focus on various topics, with some vocab already prepared - as I believe often happens in the group conversations.

3 Likes

That’s a superb achievement, Alan - HUGE congratulations! :star: :star2: