Anyone want to discuss "Un Bore Mercher" (S4C)? - warning - might contain spoilers

Thanks, anyway, @siaronjames. I thought it was worth a shot. :wink:

2 Likes

Thanks, @JohnYoung! I’m not surprised that question was asked by others. I can’t get “Rhoiais i 'nghalon” out of my head. I actually ended up going onto the first episode last night and copying out the lyrics hoping that if I learned the song properly, I might be able to put it to rest. Hasn’t worked so far. :wink:

1 Like

[quote=“margaretwerdermann, post:125, topic:10116”]
and copying out the lyrics hoping that if I learned the song properly, I might be able to put it to rest.[/quote]

That rarely works for me, either, unfortunately. The bit of music from Un Bore Mercher that I found most catchy (and is currently running in my head) is just the close harmony bit in the opening titles. I sang along with it every time I watched the show, even though there were no words.

1 Like

Me, too! I’m currently rewatching the series, because I was confused enough by the last episode to want to go back through and see what I missed the first time through. I thoroughly enjoyed the series and I’m really hoping there is a second one to answer some of the questions we were left with!

2 Likes

It looks like the English language version will be coming out next month, with the 2nd series following later.

I had the info from the Project Torchwood website - interview with Matthew Hall

1 Like

Thanks to @johnwilliams_6 I was alerted to “Craith” a new drama series starting tonight on S4C
(9pm 07/01/2017 ), set in Snowdonia.

http://www.s4c.cymru/cy/drama/craith/

From the Amserlenni:

Craith
Cyfres ddrama ddwys newydd llawn dirgelwch a thensiwn. Mae bywydau DI Cadi John a DS Owen Vaughan yn cael eu hysgwyd ar ol dod o hyd i gorff merch ifanc wrth ymyl afon yng Ngogledd Cymru. Wedi dysgu pwy yw hi, mae’n edrych yn debyg ei bod yn un o nifer o ferched sydd wedi mynd ar goll yn yr ardal. Mae yna gyfrinachau yn cael eu cuddio yn yr ardal odidog yma o Ogledd Orllewin Cymru.

Subtitles in Welsh and English.

2 Likes

Which translates to:

(from the English schedule)

I’m debating whether I want to watch another tense drama so soon.

I must be a tense drama junkie then, because I can’t wait (having also just watched the very tense “Y Llyfergell” on DVD (thanks to John’s kind loan of it)), and am still in the process of watching the boxed set of “A Mind to Kill” (unfortunately only available in English).

Having said that, I wouldn’t mind an upbeat comedy drama for a change, or something of that ilk! :slight_smile:

1 Like

Don’t let it put you off another visit to Wales :smile:
We are not as bad as a certain village in Mid-Somerset, where there is a murder every week :wink:

3 Likes

Sometimes four or more in a week in those villages! Oxford was a bit dangerous at one stage too! I

2 Likes

[quote=“JohnYoung, post:132, topic:10116”]
Don’t let it put you off another visit to Wales[/quote]
Not bloody likely!! I am planning to be in Wales again in April, Scotland in May.

3 Likes

A quick question @siaronjames might know the answer to – am I likely to be able to download the Welsh subtitles to S4C shows from anywhere? I can save the shows to watch offline from BBC iPlayer, but of course the BBC version only gives the English subtitles, or none, and sometimes it’s nice to have the option of the Welsh ones…

1 Like

Oh dear, I’m not going to be much help I’m afraid. As far as I’m aware, the Welsh subtitles are only available on S4C but the programmes on the Clic service cannot be downloaded (and as you’ve noticed, the iPlayer ones are the reverse - can be downloaded but don’t have Welsh subtitles) and I haven’t heard of any plans to change this.

Your best course of action might be to get in touch with S4C directly - whilst you may get a ‘standard’ reply, at least you’d be adding to the list of people interested in having the W-subtitles available on iPlayer which may or may not spur them into action. In the meantime, you might find the following link useful. It’s a link to a discussion a couple of years old now (and to be honest, I don’t understand some of the technical jargon), but it may still be relevant https://forums.squarepenguin.co.uk/thread-472.html

2 Likes

I’ll PM you…

Diolch! I see the problem, though - so I’ve emailed S4C instead :slight_smile:

1 Like

I’ve emailed them. Bravely or stupidly, I’ve emailed them in Welsh.

5 Likes

Why stupidly? It shows your commitment and if they reply in really incomprehensible Welsh, you can ask for a translation and explain why you need the subtitles - not for deafness, but to help your learn!

1 Like

Well, I’m not sure why I put “stupidly” rather than my more usual “foolishly”, but you’re absolutely right to pick me up on it. I think there are two reasons, both of them bad!

1. It’s self-deprecating. “Why did I take the trouble to email them in my lame Welsh when it’s probably awful?” Bad because it’s (a) almost certainly not true, and in any case (b) if a thing’s worth doing, it’s worth doing badly. (If you wait until your Welsh is ‘perfect’ before using it with people, you’ll never use it.)

2. I could have communicated with them much more efficiently in English, because they’re bound to be bilingual and I’m not. But this goes to the heart of “What is the point of using a minority language?” I never really have to confront this when people exclaim over my using Catalan rather than Spanish, because I honestly don’t speak terribly good Spanish – if I try, it’ll end up turning back into Catalan anyway. So although I get brownie points from Catalan speakers, I’m actually just communicating with them as best I can. But that’s never going to be the case with my Welsh, outside of Patagonia – and I have to recognise (like any learner) that it’s still worth making the effort to do it anyway.

So, yes – I was probably right to email them in Welsh, and you were certainly right to pick me up on it.

1 Like

FWIW, I’ve usually found that they respond fairly promptly and in a friendly manner, whether I write in English or highly imperfect Welsh. Having said that, I’m still waiting for a reply after I contacted them about missing English subtitles on Clic for the most recent RaR episode. I also made the point (laid it on with a trowel to tell the truth), how useful both Welsh and English subtitles were for learners of Welsh.

2 Likes

LOL! My husband always says he’d never live in England, because it’s “too murdery - look at all that happens in Midsommer!” Fortunately, I’d rather live in Wales anyway. :wink:

4 Likes