Anyone want to discuss "Un Bore Mercher" (S4C)? - warning - might contain spoilers

Only just caught up!

I recognise the other female detective - she’s been in PYC before. Yes it was her at the scene of the crash.
At first I wondered if Arthur was working for DI Williams, but then why would she have followed them if she had someone doing it for her? I’m wondering if the new DI - from Swansea is the one on the end of Arthur’s phone. I didn’t see Williams phone anyone about the crash, so how did the other detective know where to go? Also. there was a strange lingering shot on her BMW number plate that made me think it was important somehow.[quote=“mikeellwood, post:58, topic:10116”]
It would be kind of fitting if Williams ended up getting busted for corruption
[/quote]
I really hope so. As soon as she called Child Services out of sheer spite, I turned up my dislike of her to the maximum and started hoping for some sort of grisly lingering end.

1 Like

And a bit harsh of sis yng ghyfraith to refuse to take the kiddies. I know her life is stressful and complicated and she seems unhappy enough to look at a client with a daytime vodka habit, but I had to give her a pantomime baddy boo for that one.

Well also, as her mother said, “she isn’t the maternal type.”

1 Like

I wondered why Evan’s mum and dad weren’t asked to look after the children. Or are they considered too old by the powers that be? It seems that they regularly do look after them normally, so what would have been the problem?

Thanks for confirming that,

I wondered if she’d been tailing Alpay.

But the way that Arthur seemed to have been “recruited” (bundle of money wrapped around a phone) makes me thinks it wasn’t a police job. (More likely he’d have been sweated in a police cell until he agreed to do what they wanted, if it had been). At least not an official police job…then again, at least one of the police officers seems to have been “moonlighting” in the, er, private sector.

Well BMW or Merc, it looked expensive. Do UK police normally run around in expensive German cars? Alternatively, if it had been her own car, DI isn’t that exalted a rank, and could she normally afford to run a car like that? (unless she was “on the take”). (see, I do know the lingo…at least as it used to be in 1970s “Sweeney” episodes…of course it might have changed a bit since then. :slight_smile: ).

[quote=“mikeellwood, post:64, topic:10116”]
Well BMW or Merc, it looked expensive.[/quote]
Faith’s car is a Mercedes. DI Williams’ car is a BMW. (I pay a lot of attention to the symbols on cars! :wink: )

1 Like

Faith is a lawyer. Williams is a DI and would not be assigned a BMW surely? Mind, her hatred of Faith is clearly that of the woman scorned, not crime connected. i still think Arthur is in the pay of the nasty gang mentioned, the one worse than the Glynns!

I’ve just re-watched, and of course, you and @cat-1 are right. Not surprising that Faith can afford a Mercedes. I’m sure that she and Evan used to be quite well off, until the recent shenanigans.

And on re-watching, the female detective from Swansea is only a DS - Detective Sergeant, so even less likely to be able to afford an expensive car. She also looked “well dodgy” in that last scene. Arthur told someone that Faith was meeting Alpay “out in the sticks”. If that someone was the DS (Morgan, apparently), then she might have tailed Alpay from her office. If DS Morgan was in fact the blackmailing detective, then her source of regular income has just come to an unpleasant end.

Oh, sorry, I see I mis-read Sionned’s posting (saying that DI Williams’ car is a BMW).
Well the car that DS Morgan got out of was a BMW, and I don’t think that was the car that Williams came in, so maybe they both have them. Standard issue?

Indeed. By the fourth episode the plot was getting so complicated I realised I needed the English just to keep up with things rather than having the general gist. But understanding most of the Welsh and having English subtitles at the bottom of the screen is really doing my head in. Having said that it’s really helping me get my ears into picking up the colloquial short forms: ‘sa’ ‘bod’ for 'sai’n gwybod (which is still rather ‘South’ for me anyway!).

I’m getting the impression no-one’s going to come out well out of this. That the moral of the tale is that by trying to protect people you care about, you start not being squeaky clean and get into a mess, which gets others in a mess, until everyone is in a mess, but can’t blame anyone because they are all in the same position.

i don’t know, since learning Welsh I’ve ended up reading crime novels and watching series like Un Bore Mercher and Bang, which really weren’t my cup of tea, but I’ve even started watching gritty Bollywood Crime films, like Kahaani , rather than my usual all singing all dancing Rom-Coms. To be honest can’t we just have some nice films about how someone struggles to overcome their personal demons to realise how pretty flowers are or something?

Then there’s being new to Welsh drama and my head spins wondering why Kizzy Crawford is a police officer, and other trying not to be influences by previous characters Welsh actors have played. I’ve already forgotten who the Welsh Tory leader from Byw Celwydd is in this! It;'s all doing my head in, but in a nice way.

1 Like

[quote=“mikeellwood, post:68, topic:10116, full:true”]
Oh, sorry, I see I mis-read Sionned’s posting (saying that DI Williams’ car is a BMW).
Well the car that DS Morgan got out of was a BMW, and I don’t think that was the car that Williams came in, so maybe they both have them. Standard issue?[/quote]
To be honest, I wasn’t sure when I was writing that whether it was DI Williams’ car or the other one. Possibly both, but I don’t know.

Ah yes - I was more imagining that the person on the end of the phone was not acting in their role as police officer but ‘moonlighting’ as you say.

But she has enough clout to tell Williams to disappear from the scene - she must have other clout. Gang clout?

I think Williams was following them in a silver Ford although I couldn’t quite see the Ford logo. I don’t know if that’s the car she normally drives (seems appropriate) but the arrival of Morgan in the Beamer certainly gave the impression that the real guns had arrived. [quote=“henddraig, post:66, topic:10116”]
Mind, her hatred of Faith is clearly that of the woman scorned, not crime connected
[/quote]

Isn’t it? She’s on a mission…

I think that’s fairly standard, even in English language dialects, although good for keeping local actors in work. I’m thinking of any Catherine Cookson adaption or even Ruth Jones etc stuff.

The option would probably be the Irish sounding Braveheart. I’ve seen the Doc Martin actors having a laugh about their fake Port Isaac accents.

Having said that, Renee Zellwegger and David Tennant are very convincing. Perhaps S4C could sign them up, after a crash SSiW course, obviously :slight_smile:

1 Like

DCI Huw Parry, played by Richard Elfyn (who I think is a great actor, and slightly wasted in this, as is Matthew Gravelle…actually it applies to several others as well. Maybe they were happy to go along, as it’s such a great drama anyway (imho).

Absolutely. Trying to untease what’s really going on, and being misled by the writers is all part of the fun! If this were real life, it would be pretty awful, but as it is, we can just enjoy it. :slight_smile:

1 Like

I am watching Witnesses on BB.C4 foreign language slot, Saturday night and have just finished “I know who you are” in Spanish, same slot. !I get them mixed in my head. Some woman-at-risk did have a buggy and was pushing it with small child on each side…ah well!
ps I find myself translating English subtitles into Welsh in my head!

1 Like

So am I / so did I. I thought the latter was brilliant.
Am getting more used to “Witnesses”, but it’s almost finished now, I believe.

1 Like

Spoiler 17.12.2017

A lot happening this week!

I don’t understand why Tom and his wife seem to be blaming things on Faith, when it’s their son who would appear to be to blame for most of the trouble.

On a lighter note, while in Waitrose the other day, I got to thinking about Gail Reardon and her “3 lbs of best Columbian”. Now she didn’t actually say best Columbian what! I mean, it could have been best Columbian coffee! Mind you, even Waitrose wouldn’t charge £320,000 (or whatever it was), even for best Columbian coffee.

I still think Tom and Parry were bent and led Evan astray. Faith would not play along. Evan got a conscience because of her, so tried to back out. So it’s all her fault, see! (If you are self-centred with no morals!)
I think Arthur on payroll of baddies is prety much proven! Which baddies? Female bitch faced boss cop! (In my opinion).

hmmm…could have been, but why did he then video her car numberplate at the accident/fire location (which is presumably what led to her arrest! Great joy here at seeing Terry arrest her! :slight_smile:

You know, my money is still half on it being Evan whom he’s talking to, which of course means that Evan is still alive, thus leaving open the possibility of a happy ending. Parry bent - maybe. Tom, I’m not so sure about. True he did shred the Pedersen documents, but that might have been just to protext Evan. But admittedly, it might have meant he was involved.

I suppose if Faith is being blamed, it would be because she wants a nice lifestyle (who doesn’t?) and Evan was “forced” to cross the legal line in order to provide it. (Not really forced, of course - these things are always choices).

I forgot about the car, but he may have decided he liked Faith too much to stitch her up! Or maybe he’s on the payroll of the baddies with all that Columbian!