Anyone watching Pobol Y Cwm? Rownd a Rownd? New Hangout to discuss soaps šŸŽ¬

Well, Iā€™m still here watching it because I want to see how they handle Brittā€™s illness. Aron is turning into a great little actor, and Iā€™m enjoying seeing Cassie back again. Any bets on who theyā€™ll have to use the defib machine on first? One of the gin ladies perhaps? Megan or Mam-gu Parry?

Iā€™m totally with you on this @Deborah-SSi.
My guess for the defib is Dai during one of his outbursts or Megan.

1 Like

Just watched the 2nd April showing of Celwydd Noeth. The second pair of contestants - what was that about??

Are people still watching? Iā€™m both hooked and deeply skeptical but it definitely makes good daily listening practice. I canā€™t quite bear to watch last nightā€™s yet as it looks like Edā€™s agonised expressions are back. Iā€™ve found http://cwmderi2019.blogspot.com/ to be a helpful learning tool - someone takes the time to summarise each episode in English so I can watch without subtitles and then check the blog to see if I was on the right track!

2 Likes

Yes, still watching, hooked and skeptical too but a good way to keep up. Now I always watch first time without sub-titles but have to ā€˜cheatā€™ a few times if I donā€™t get the meaning. I was lost completely when Tesni said ā€œduvet day ifi heddiā€, I got the last bit but just couldnā€™t work out the first!!

2 Likes

I got a bit behind (still 2 to catch up) but I wasnā€™t expecting to find parallels between Ed and Jon Snow - wonder what the crossover viewing figures are?

I do think itā€™s a shame the Britt storyline (done pretty well in my opinion) is being mixed up with Ed/Kelly/Angela. Iā€™m considering taking a break from PYC over the summer when Rownd a Rownd stops and re-claiming that 20mins a day for reading.

1 Like

I agree, having two really strong story lines does kind of water the impact down somewhat.

If @KateM is reading this without having seen the next two episodes of PyC then, to stop a spoiler, she shouldnā€™t read on.

I am surprised from the viewpoint of viewing figures to have both stories running at the same time as you would expect them to try to keep the stories apart to spread the interest. However, they do join up which I didnā€™t expect even though it was pretty obvious in hindsight. A real ā€˜cliff hangerā€™ yesterday though!!

1 Like

Goes awayā€¦ catches upā€¦

Right Iā€™m back. Yes a cliffhanger, and a fair amount of eye rolling on my part. I guess there will now be a weekā€™s break? For the Urdd Eisteddfod? Which means perhaps weā€™ll be watching the next episode together in Caernarfon!

1 Like

Ah, some logic in the various cliffhangers then, here we all are (well me anyway) desperate to know what happens and already booked the seat I will be sitting in in Ty Castell in Caernarfon to watch it.

2 Likes

Haha. I watched it to help with my learning too. The plots were so ridiculous I never thought Iā€™d carry on watching. Guess what, Iā€™m so sucked in I cant switch off the subtitles in case I miss something!

5 Likes

Anyone around to discuss the drugs ridiculousness?? I do wonder why I watch this nonsense!

Not sure about the drugs thing but I thought Gwyneth was going to leave with Garryā€™s money and Gwern too, not sure how its going to work out with them as Garry canā€™t let go of so much money, particularly as he has already paid Ā£10,000 on her behalf to get Gwern back.
I still find it very useful for my Welsh though as 18,19 mins is about right and the story does move forward at a pace so lots of interaction going on. My heart sinks when it is a double episode, far too long, but I find I canā€™t watch it in two separate stretches. PyC is also a bit of a benchmark for my Welsh though some episodes I pretty much get everything and then, at other times, I really seem to struggle with everything.

1 Like

I agree Peter, and thatā€™s a good reminder about why I watch it! I agree on the double episodes being a bit much. Iā€™m annoyed that theyā€™re trashing all the happy couples at the moment, and just confused that apparently all the drug stuff has been going on with apparently no-one noticing at all.

I am proud that I can often follow(ish) whatā€™s going on without English subtitles although I sometimes need to whack them on or catch up with Cwmderi diary. I find if I watch with the subtitles I donā€™t take in the Welsh at all.

2 Likes

OH. NO. HE. DIDNā€™T!!! What the heck was he thinking!?

OH. YES. HE. DID!!! I donā€™t know why but I feel far more for Iolo than for Jason. The Jason story may be over (we shall see) but the Iolo/Tyler one is going to become big. At first I thought they might be stereotyping gay relationships but then realised this is a soap opera and everyone in the village must have an affair at some point - some will be more damaging than others.

1 Like

Iā€™d be interested to know on what grounds Kath thinks Debbie can divorce Mark !

I love PyC, I started watching it about 2 months back and am hooked now! The actors were on welsh radio earlier which was useful for me having some sort of clue about whatā€™s beings discussed on the radio.

Havenā€™t seen tonightā€™s but I kept wondering why Debbie doesnā€™t just tell Mark about Kath blackmailing!

Also did anyone think tesni was so weird in her reaction to sioned after their little chat about the drugs?! Is there a backstory with tesni and drugs?!!

1 Like

Iā€™m not a PyC watcher, but did you know that last weekā€™s episodes were written by Manon Steffan Ros?

3 Likes

Yes that would be the commonsense thing to do, but as has often been observed before, commonsense doesnā€™t seem to apply in soapland. They need to keep panning these threads out or I suppose they wouldnā€™t have a storyline.