Apps: Known issues and workarounds

You’re welcome. :slight_smile:
Strange things often happen, with computers and phones!

Here’s another tip you might try:

p.s. I know you said you prefer to stream the lessons, but downloading even just one may help finding the solution in this case.

@Scarlett - sorry, I somehow missed seeing this thread. Are you still having troubles, or have things gotten sorted?

Hi Lewie, thanks for getting back to me. Yeah I’m still having issues, it’s odd. I’ve just updated my iPhone to the new iOS but SSIW is still being a bit buggy.

Sometimes I open the app and it says I need to log in. Sometimes I open it and I’m already logged in but some of the lessons are greyed out, and it’s not consistent which ones will work and which won’t. If I go to the forum and then back to the challenges it sometimes makes them playable, but not always. They often have the three “loading” dots on them even when they should be already downloaded to my phone, and I’m using my WiFi.

Thank you in advance! I assumed it would be a known problem but it looks like it’s just me. I wonder if it’s conflicting with another app or something?

I’ve been using the app on Android and love it. The only thing I’d improve is to have headphone/remote support. For example, when pressing the pause button on my headphones or in my car, nothing happens (or another app that’s open (Audible/Spotify) will start playing).

Did you ever find a solution to this Scarlett? Your description here matches exactly my own problems with the app over the last few weeks (same phone too). In a phase where I really need to be grabbing every spare second to get some Welsh in its very frustrating! I have started opening the webpage and playing the challenges from there, but that only works when the screen is lit and I can’t always keep that up! Any help much appreciated…

Hiya! No, I’m afraid I haven’t got it fixed. It’s still really buggy and I don’t know why.

It randomly says I don’t have a subscription, and then it randomly makes some lessons active and others greyed out. It’s really frustrating isn’t it! Nobody else seems to have been having any trouble with it so, although I’m sorry it’s happening to you too, I’m glad it’s not just me!

Hi @rebecca-totterdell and @Scarlett

The streaming mechanism has problems sometimes and this causes the spurious login requests too.

There is a workaround to this - download the challenge you are working on the problem goes away.

To do this go to the screen with all the challenges on and hold your finger on the one you want. A pop up appears which says ‘download’ - press this - you should get an egg timer type of thing as it downloads.

(Remember to download the next one as you progress, and so on. )

Rich :slight_smile:

That is helpful for me as I have had lots of problems listening to Level 2 challenge 5 on my iphone.
Thank you,
Heather

1 Like

Great! Keep up the good work!

Rich :slight_smile:

The iOS app has just been updated. Those who tested it (used the beta release) seem to have had fewer problems, so don’t hesitate to shout if you continue to have issues with the app. Regrettably, it’s been a tricky problem to reproduce, so I don’t know for sure if it’s been completely sorted or not.

1 Like

Hi,
I’ve just started using the app for the first time (now I’m working from home for the foreseeable, I’ve finally got time to Welsh!) and I’ve downloaded the Level 1 lessons with no problems. However, when I try to play lesson 1, it plays challenge 1. Lesson 2 plays challenge 2 etc. I’ve tried logging out and logging back in, and also deleting and re-installing the app, and it’s made no difference. I can still listen to the Old Course 1 with no problems. Any ideas?
I’m running iOS 13.3.1 on an iPhone 8Plus.
Thanks chuck, 'Bert
PS even though I’ve been a member for an age, this is the first time I’ve used the forum, so if I’ve posted this in the wrong place, let me know!

Just to make sure that I’m understanding… The first lesson nowadays is indeed called Challenge 1. Can you tell me more? I’m wondering if I’m just missing what you are saying.

It might be me misunderstanding the app then!
Here’s some screenshots - so on the Levels tab, when I select Lesson 1, it takes me to the Challenges tab and plays Challenge 1.
When I choose Lesson 2 on the Levels tab, it takes me to the Challenges tab and plays Challenge 2.
So is that what it’s supposed to be doing?

As Levels and Challenges are different labels and different tabs, I just expected different content (ie once you’d completed Level 1 lessons you’d do a Level 1 Challenge, that sort of thing). If what it’s doing is correct, then pretend we never had this discussion, and I shall press on!
Thanks @lewie
'Bert :slight_smile:

Ah! Thanks for clarifying. It is indeed behaving as expected. Level 1 has 25 Challenges. The term “lesson” and “challenge” are pretty interchangeable as we use them - but now I see that it can be confusing if you are thinking of them as two very different sort of things, which is a very reasonable interpretation indeed.

Would it be clearer if the label above the 1-25 buttons on the Level tab was “Challenges” instead of “Lessons”?

It would’ve been clearer for me, but if I’m the only person that’s been confused by it, then that says more about how my brain works than how the app works! :joy:
Diolch yn fawr iawn for sorting me out so quickly, chuck,
'Bert

Hey guys, I’m using the Android app and I’m on the new course, challenge 10. Tried the 2nd of three listening exercises there…
Is it supposed to be, THAT fast? Because…my god, I don’t think I’d be able to understand that in english

Yes, it is supposed to be that fast - strange as it may seem! The idea is NOT to understand it, just to HEAR it (i.e. don’t even give it all your attention!). What it does is gets your ears used to hearing Welsh at super-speed so that when you hear someone talking at a pace you’d normally find too fast, they sound slower. It sounds weird, I know, but it does work!

1 Like

Alright then lol

Thanks for the response :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hi, I’m using the App on iOS 14.2 on an iPhone 11 and it’s crashing everytime I want to post a reply in the forum.

1 Like

Hi Klaus,
even though there is a direct link to the forum from within the app, it’s probably even faster to use the forum straight from a browser:
https://forum.saysomethingin.com
It might ask you to login the first time - same user and password as the app - but then you can also make it a direct link on your home page and it’s just like using an app!
I’m sure it works fine with Chrome, I don’t know about Safari.