Are there any new learners in the Coventry/Warwickshire area

I am a new learner and have reached Lesson 20 at the first level. Whilst I am reasonably happy with progress generally I would surely benefit if I could find some fellow learners locally who I could practice with. I understand there may be a Coventry group?
Whilst I am Welsh by birth and exceedingly proud of it this is my first attempt to learn my native language
It’s the smaller words that tend to catch me out. I tend to remember key verbs and nouns but it’s the joined up bits that flummox me (he, she, was, it, have etc). Not to mention the mutations!
Anyway, it would be good to hear from anyone and if they are local then all the better.
DIolch yn fawr
Peter

1 Like

Yes there are some welsh speakers local to you. Perhaps one will come back to you during the week.

Did you find anyone @peter-roach7? Would you like me to put a note in the Weekly Newsletter for you? I know there are SSiWers in that general area, but they may not have seen your post.

Hello Deborah

I apologise for the delay in responding as I have been away. I haven’t found anyone in the Coventry/Warwickshire area just yet but in all honesty I haven’t been actively looking as things have been very busy and my Welsh learning has taken somewhat of a back seat temporarily. I want to complete Challenge 25 and then review all of Level 1, then moving on to use the other facilities on your website including the Forum thereby becoming much more engaged. I will get there but I need to take a raincheck on your kind offer thank you.

Peter

1 Like

[edited] Hi @peter-roach7, only just seen this message but I can help you with groups in Coventry, we have a face to face meeting at the Litten Tree pub, 1 Warwick Road CV1 5EX every second Wednesday of the month at 7.30pm starting tomorrow (Wednesday August 11), we also meet at Dobbies Garden Centre, Straight Mile, Frankton CV23 9QQ at 10.30 a.m. every third Saturday of the month starting Saturday August 21st, also at Earlsdon Methodist Church every Thursday morning at 10.30 but this one is still going over Zoom, I can give you details if you’re interested in that. As for the face to face ones you are welcome to just turn up unannounced when you feel like it or contact me or one of the other organisers (advisable as we occasionally cancel). I don’t often log onto this site but will keep an eye open for a while - if you’re interested (or if anyone else is), please contact me for more details.

Thanks
Andy

[Edited to remove personal details] There is also a strong Cambrian Society including several first language speakers and quite a few learners, and if you’re a singer you might want to consider Côr Cymraeg Coventry, Coventry’s only Welsh choir!

Thanks again
Andy

Hi Andy, just a friendly word of warning - whilst I can understand the convenience of putting email addresses and phone numbers here, please remember that this is not a private forum - it is open and searchable on the web (and we wouldn’t want you accidently picking up spammers and scammers when they sweep the web for info like this), so we usually advise to only pass on details like these in private messages, but if you’re happy to show them that’s up to you.

1 Like

thanks @siaronjames, good point and I will edit it now! - edited!

Andy

1 Like

Shmae Peter! I know this post was a long time ago but I learning Welsh and I live in Warwickshire (near Stratford-ish). I’m just finishing level 2.

1 Like

Im looking for a group for begginers, i understabd there is a group in coventry at the methodist church in Earlsdon, do you have any info on this group or know who i can contact . Im just learning wesh so need to see if this group is suitable .

@andyjone are you able to give more information to @lynette-5 about opportunities to speak Welsh in Coventry?

@Deborah-SSi @lynette-5 I can, I met Lynette at the library on Saturday! I will send an email now.

Andy

1 Like

Thankyou