Ask your FIRST question about SSiW in here...:-)

Hector,
Thank you very much. So, to clarify:it’s not isio but rhaid that detemines the use of the mae construction?
is that correct? Always?
Thank you for input, it’s very helpful.

yes, rhaid will only ever use a 3rd person form of bod (e.g. mae rhaid / oedd rhaid / bydd rhaid)

Siaron
thank you that’s great. I feel as though I might know something now!

4 Likes

What are Iestyn’s leaving words at the end of each challenge? Cat says ‘hwyl’ but I just cannot make out waht Iestyn says.

In the Intro he says “Hwyl am y tro” ? (= goodbye for now)
In the challenges, sometimes he says “Da bo” (= da boch = goodbye) and sometimes he says “Da bo am y tro” (= goodbye for now).

1 Like

Diolch yn fawr Siaron

1 Like

I wonder if there are rules to clarify the following two points arising for me out of challenge 4.please forgive my spelling if it’s wrong but I hope it expresses what I can hear on the tape. I’m not sure if it’s correct to ask this but I’d prefer to know, if it’s possible, rather than keep guessing incorrectly!

1. exactly when to select wedi bod and when to use o ni

2. exactly when to use bo fi and when to use bod for “that”

1. wedi bod equates to have been, whereas o’n i equates to I was (for a continuous state), so for example,
    dwi wedi bod i’r dref bore 'ma = I have been to town this morning
    o’n i yn y dref bore 'ma = I was in town this morning

2. bo fi = that I. You use ‘bod’ for ‘that’ any time when you would normally use a present tense of the verb ‘bod’ (i.e. dwi, wyt, mae, etc) if the 'that wasn’t there, so for example,
    mae’n oer but dwi’n meddwl bod hi’n oer

Hope that helps :slight_smile:

Beat me to it :slight_smile: but just to add that in Level 1, you come across a Challenge with bod and bo fi in it. You’ll notice that bod replaces mae where you have sentences like mae dal rhaid i fi/mi and you want to put something in front, e.g. dw i’n meddwl bod dal rhaid i fi/mi whereas bo fi is used where the original sentence starts with dw i e.g. dw i’n siarad becomes dw i’n meddwl bo fi’n siarad

1 Like

Okay thank you both. I think that’s a bit clearer I shall study this and listen again.
cheers

1 Like

I’m a fairly new learner through the Dysgu Cymraeg programme along with just over a year or so of DuoL.
Does the DC programme include the 6/6 support ?.
Diolch !

Hi @Casnewydd, no, the free access available to Dysgu Cymraeg members is only to the online audio files themselves, not the 6/6 Support Slack workspace which is for people registered in a structured course - i.e. the 6 Minutes a Day or Deep End courses.
You’re very welcome to ask questions here on the forum though, and if you’d like extra speaking practice, just send an email to admin@saysomethingin.com and ask to join the WSP - Welsh Speaking Practice Slack group. That’s free and open to anyone who would like to practise their Welsh.

S’mae :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

Is it possible to switch my subscription from a year to six months please?

Absolutely loving the course BTW

Diolch yn fawr!

Ally x

Plus…

Are there any new SSiW learners in ABERYSTWYTH?

:heart_eyes:

@ally-1 if you’d prefer to do the 2 Challenges per week version and reach the end of Level 2 in 6 months, you’ll need to email admin@saysomethingin.com and request that.

1 Like

diolch Deborah :heart_eyes:

1 Like

Shwmae pawb - In lesson 4, we learn that you use efo ch’di to say ‘with you’, but you can also say ‘efo ti’.

So, is efo ch’di a plural form of ‘with you’ and ‘efo ti’ is the singular, or are they both ways of saying ‘with you’ (singular)?

Diolch.

1 Like

Hi Ceris! Efo chdi is a slangy northern extra version of efo ti - if you want to go formal or plural, it would be efo chi :slightly_smiling_face:

Thank you!

1 Like

This is perhaps an odd question, but I teach singers here in Japan - singers who are singing in opera or oratorio in English - and so am naturally interested. I have always loved the English of people who were originally Welsh-speakers (Richard Burton, for example) since they do not torture vowels into diphthongs or triphthongs or worse, and their consonants are always sharp, light and telling. It strikes me that ‘t’ and ‘d’ and the trilled ‘r’ are spoken quite a bit further forward in the mouth than they generally are in English - it is, for example’ very difficult to trill the ‘r’ in ‘trio’ (to try) unless the ‘t’ is spoken very forward - to the extent that it sometimes sounds, to my ear at least, as though there were a very fait ‘s’ after the ‘t’. Also, ‘wedi’ sounds close at times to ‘wetti’. Well, that is less a question than an observation, but I shall leave it at that.

Tim Harris

2 Likes