ATM's - Use it or lose it!

I shall have a look when I’m in Tesco and M&S next (and write complaint letters if they don’t work!)

1 Like

The Welsh self-service tills are definitely louder than the English ones!

But as far as I’m concerned that’s a good thing - I’ll wave my Welsh in public. It was a bit embarrassing at first but that’s what centuries of cultural cringe and internal colonialism does to you. Now I treat it as normalisation and awareness-raising stuff and if people look well now that’s a few less people without grounds to say “no one uses Welsh round 'ere”

:slight_smile:

7 Likes

@leiafee

I do the same. Always gets a good look.In my own little way I feel like it’s doing some sort of good, even if it’s just reminding others that there people around who would prefer to use Welsh even if an English option is available. :slight_smile:

5 Likes

I’ve complained verbally at Tesco in Caerfyrddin, but I’ll have to make it official.

The Self Service machines can be switched to Cymraeg (at least they could the last time I used them), but they now have this ‘Scan yourself’ as you go round the shop system. It makes shopping quicker as you just scan the item and put it straight into your shopping bag. When you get to the machine (special ones for this functionality), they upload everything from your scanner, you pay, and off you go.

BUT the new machines don’t have a Cymraeg option. They just do everything in English without any choice at all. I’m so used to doing my shopping in Cymraeg that I got quite confused when the machine started asking me things in English!

4 Likes

For those who haven havent seen the option. Here is the Tesco version, the other supermarkets have very similar options as they tends to used them the âme software.

3 Likes

The older machines caused a few laughs for non-Welsh speakers. If you accidentally pressed the Cymraeg button, you could struggle to get back to the English language version.

1 Like

Do they really mean “start cards”? (Some kind of card specific to Tesco’s?). Or do they mean “smart cards”? oh, ok, here is the explanation (lousy user interface design, basically):

3 Likes

Wish I could like this post more than once :slight_smile:

1 Like

In areas with 30% plus Welsh speakers…the Welsh option could be made default and you have to push English as the option

These cringy small “welsh” buttons sadden me…and thats a huge LEAP…since the desert before hand where you never saw Welsh in public

2 Likes

Ordered my Mac D’s wrap on a touchscreen device in Welsh today. All really easy and I’m glad the option was there.

3 Likes

Did you have a “Mac Mawr”? :smile:

1 Like

Lol nope. The products weren’t actually in Welsh but the instructions on the screen (eg eat in/take out) were.

1 Like

Surely a Mab Mawr – translating the Gaelic Mac to Welsh Mab while you’re at it!

4 Likes

So, whenever I can I use the ATM in Welsh. All very well until something unexpected pops up. I started to withdraw cash today when a message came up which I didn’t understand (but now, looking back I think the gist was there are no £10’s do you want to proceed) I pressed a button, card returned, no cash.
I tried again same message popped up so I pressed the other option as a guess rather than through understanding, card pops out again, oh well, I thought, I’m just not thinking in Welsh today, try elsewhere and I walked away only to be called back by the lady behind me in the queue as I’d left my cash poking out of the slot in the machine! (the woman behind her in the queue muttered, well I wouldn’t have called you back!:open_mouth:)
Still, won’t put me off using the ATM in Welsh, just concentrate more, and check that I’ve forgotten absolutely nothing!

3 Likes

I would have muttered back to her “Ma drug da fi, Dwi ddim’n siarad Saesneg” :slight_smile: (I’m sorry, I don’t speak English)

3 Likes

Yes, that’s what I should of done!
We get very few cold callers at home up our mountain, but I did confuse a band of travelling Jehovah’s Witnesses recently by speaking in Welsh, they obviously thought I was talking in tongues so was already beyond help which may be why they beat a hasty retreat!

5 Likes

That always works really well when I get a call from the “Microsoft Help Centre” telling me I’ve got a virus on my computer (we only have Macs!). The last one continued their script while I chatted away in Welsh but eventually stopped and said “where am I ringing?”. :grinning:

3 Likes

Yeah I routinely answer cold calls in Welsh!

3 Likes

Or a côt law fawr? :slight_smile:

grôn :laughing:

1 Like