Barry SSIW updates

Great. I think Mared and some of the others are planning on doing the same. I doubt if I’ll make Palmerston - heavy day in Cardiff. But I’m meeting up at the Park later, so see you there!

Great. Is it a members (menter bro Morgannwg) night or are tickets on general sale? I see Bryn is on Heno tonight chatting about his acoustic set and singing at the end of the show.

To make sure of your ticket, ring Ffion to book 029 20689888 then pay at the door when you arrive. It hasn’t been full the last few times I’ve gone to the Park, but you never know with Bryn Fôn.

1 Like

Blwyddyn Newydd dda i bob un ohonoch chi,

The room was full for Bryn Fôn, and my ears have just about recovered. Hope you enjoyed it as much as me. The Palmerston table was right in front of the speakers, and the band commented on the fragrant bags of chips so you can tell how close we were (unfortunately?!)
It was great that the family Christmas party was held earlier that evening at the Palmerston Centre to allow everyone to come along to the Park in time for an enjoyable evening.

Nos Galan is almost upon us, and with it comes the famous Nos Galan Road Race in Mountain Ash. This year the route is slightly different, and the details are here:

https://www.rctcbc.gov.uk/EN/Events/NosGalan/NosGalanRoadRace.aspx

The main event starts with a church service at Llanwynno, and then a wreath is laid on the grave of Guto Nyth Brân in Llanwynno graveyard. After lighting a torch, it is carried to the nearby town of Mountain Ash, where the main race takes place.

Races start at around 5pm with children’s fun runs, continue with a mystery runner arriving and lighting the beacon, with fireworks before the elite and adult races. The evening ends around 9.30pm. Last year there were 10,000 spectators.

If you are not familiar with the story of Guto Nyth Brân, there are wikipedia entries in Welsh and English for this legendary eighteenth century runner, showing the evocative statue of him in Mountain Ash (Aberpennar).

Here’s the Palmerston Cymraeg for Oedolion spring term dates:
14th January 12th April 2019 (Half Term 25th February 1st March)

Please note: there is no Crwydro around Barry Island this month, as the first Tuesday falls on New Year’s Day.

Saturday 5th January 10-12 The Caffi Cymraeg in the Library restarts, and continues every Saturday this month.

Tuesday 15th January 7.15pm Cymrodorion: Sgwrs gan Alcwyn Deiniol, ‘Cofio Siop Dan Evans’, Vestry of the Tabernacl, King Square (down the outside steps).

Thursday 17 January 10.30-11.30am Cylch Siarad Wetherspoons, Broad Street, Barry

Thank you very much to those of you who came to the Cylch Cinio – and commiserations to those down with flu. I really enjoyed the laughing, joking and sharing of long-buried secrets!! Let’s hope 2019 brings more companionship and brave new ‘dysgwyr’ to join us in the course of the year.

1 Like

The mists of post-Christmas have cleared, and the wheels of Cymraeg are rolling again.

Tomorrow Night – Tuesday 15th January – Cymrodorion y Barri meets at 7.15pm in Tabernacl Vestry, King Square (down the outside steps). Please note this is the usual Tuesday, and not as printed in the programme. Topic - “Lluniau’n Siarad” with Alcwyn Deiniol.

On Tuesdays, the Menter Bro Morgannwg coffee morning group have started meeting again 11-12am in the Tŷ Pwmp, Barry Waterfront. (And don’t forget the informal group that meets in the coffee shop of Wenvoe Garden Centre on Monday mornings is still going strong.)

Thursday 17th January 10.30am – Cylch Siarad in Barry Wetherspoons, downstairs.

Friday 18th January 6-7pm in the Palmerston Centre, Cadoc Crescent. The first get-together of the Siarad mentoring project. Are you confident enough to give 10 hours’ of help between January and March, meeting for an hour over coffee with someone needing practice in speaking Welsh? Come along and speak to the organisers – Mared or Suzanne.

On Monday 21st January there are two opportunities. For confident readers, there is the novel discussion group in the Palmerston Centre, this month discussing Llyfr Glas Nebo by Manon Steffan Ros at 7.30pm.

Same evening, Clonc yn y Parc, Park Hotel, Park Crescent meets 7-8pm. Organised by Menter Bro Morgannwg, who also have other opportunities to meet outside Barry in the Vale.

Why not sign up for their emails?

2 Likes

This is an addition to yesterday’s post. I hadn’t had notification it was going ahead until today, but here it is. Suitable for families, so long as they love the Mari Lwyd tradition.

Parti Canol Gaeaf

Canolfan Palmerston, Y Barri CF63 2NT

18 Ionawr 19:00 - 20:30

• Dathlwch yr Hen Galan gyda’r Fari Lwyd
  • Gwnewch gerdyn neu anrheg am Ddiwrnod Santes Dwynwen
  • Cynheswch wrth ddawnsio gwerin

AM DDIM!

Am fwy o wybodaeth, cysylltwch â Chanolfan Dysgu Cymraeg y Fro: 01446 730402

1 Like

February sneaked up so quickly! Here’s what I can see for the ‘mis bach’:

Half term – 25 Feb to 1st March

Tuesday 5th February - 10am New Walking with Valeways – Crwydro Yn Bellach. Meet for a 2 boot walk outside Barry Island Railway Station. Contact 01446 749000 for further details.

Saturday 9th Februrary 9.30-13.00 Sadwrn Siarad Ysgol Dewi Sant Llanilltud Fawr cost £10 (meithrinfa am ddim/ free creche).

Thursday 15 February 10.30 to 11.30 Cylch Siarad meets in Wetherspoons, Broad Street, Barry (near train station)

Tuesday 19 February – 7.15pm Cymrodorion “Ddyddiadur Morfydd” (hanes Arglwyddes Llanofer). Talk by Eiry Palfry. Meets in the Vestry, Tabernacl, King Square, Barry

Weekly:

Caffi Cymraeg – Library, King Square, 10-12 each Saturday morning

Côr Yr Ynys – (Côr Cymysg Cymraeg) meets every Sunday evening, 6.30-8.30 in the Tabernacl, King Square. Contact details – coryrynys [at] gmail dot com. Also Facebook.

Menter Bro Morgannwg coffee groups:

Sesiynau wythnosol rhwng 11am-12pm
yn ail-ddechrau Ionawr 21ain
Dydd Llun - Foxy’s Deli, Penarth
Dydd Mawrth - Caffi Academy Espresso Bar, Y Barri
Dydd Mercher - Bear Hotel, Y Bontfaen
Dydd Iau - Cafe Velo, Llanilltud Fawr

Sesiynau sgwrsio misol gyda’r nos 7-8pm:
Ar nos Lun cyntaf pob mis - The Old Swan Inn, Llanilltud Fawr
07/01, 04/02, 04/03
Ar drydedd nos Lun o bob mis - The Park Hotel, Y Barri
21/01, 18/02, 18/03

4 Likes

Happy St David’s Day!

My family did manage to hear Aran on Radio 2 with Jeremy Vine - from three different locations in Britain. They were impressed!

Life has got a bit hectic, so if anyone has any information about Barry events, please post them as I’m out of the loop at the moment.

Thanks!

2 Likes

Shwmae! Anybody know of any meet ups happening around the area? Diolch

Hi! I’m asking around at the moment to see what’s happening in the Barry area. There is a bit of a reshuffle going on, but there’s still a variety of places people are meeting.

The Barry SSIW group is hoping to meet twice a month instead of just once, but I’m waiting for details. I think it’ll be the usual coffee morning at Wetherspoons, Broad St, Barry on the third Thursday of the month, 10.30am, plus an extra Wetherspoons lunch on a Monday once a month.

Have a look on the Menter Iaith Bro Morgannwg website for their informal coffee mornings. I see there’s a change of venue for their Barry coffee morning which meets at the Knap in Mr Villa’s on Tuesdays 11-12 - not exclusively for ‘dysgwyr’.

I think the group of friendly ‘dysgwyr’ is still meeting in the cafe in Wenvoe garden centre on a Monday morning at 11am.

The Palmerston Centre has been running a mentoring project - they run the Cymraeg i Oedolion classes. There’s a Sadwrn Siarad offered this Saturday at the Palmerston Centre which usually costs £10 . There’s a free crèche place bookable, or further information on 01446 730402.

Valeways website will give you the dates and difficulty level of the walks offered, with Welsh language participants.

Hope that’s helpful for now. Best wishes for your journey.

2 Likes

Barry Cylch Siarad (SSIW) will meet as usual, third Thursday of this month, 18th April, at 10.30am in Barry Wetherspoons, Broad Street. Usually downstairs if that section is open.

3 Likes

Gwych! I should actually be able to come because its half term! Wela i ti yna!

I’ve just had another date confirmed. Oops. Edited the post as I’ve just had that date unconfirmed. Watch this space if you’re interested in Barry’s Cylch Cinio.

Pasg hapus, bawb!

Ooh exciting, I’ve just started learning but disappointed when I clicked on here to see the sessions and walking group meet in the day - excluded as usual - but then noticed the Sunday evenings with Suzanne. I’ll mark them on my calendar right now, diolch yn fawr

Here’s a few things happening in May -

Saturday 11th May - Welsh Opera is coming to Barry’s Memo Arts Centre. Beethoven’s Fidelio New Welsh translation by Mererid Hopwood. Tickets: £18* full, £7.50 students, £5 U16 * Early Bird tickets £15 (ends Fri 19 Apr)

Thursday 16th May - SSIW Cylch Siarad meets 10.30am in Wetherspoons, Broad Street, Barry.

There will be a Noson Lawen at Palmerston Centre, Barry, on the 17th of May at 7.15pm. Last year it was a £5 fundraiser. Any volunteers to perform? Also there will be a singing workshop in the afternoon if you want to learn some songs for the evening at 2pm till 3pm.

There’s a Sadwrn Siarad in Cowbridge on 18th May, classes for all levels except Hyfedredd. 9.30 - 1pm in the Old Hall, cost £10. Contact Palmerston for more details.

Friday evening, 24th May, Al Lewis (and his guitar) will be coming to the Park Hotel, Park Crescent, Barry. Tickets £8 from Ffion, Menter Bro Morgannwg. Doors open 8pm upstairs.

Hello everyone,

Just a line to say the SSIW group is still meeting in Wetherspoons once a month as advertised in the newsletter, third Thursday 10.30am, usually downstairs.

The Siarad project is getting under way for the second year in the Vale of Glamorgan, partnering people for a limited time - 10 hours is the total commitment on both sides. It gives one-to-one practice in speaking Welsh, so if you’d like to know more, please contact the Palmerston Centre in Barry. 01446 730402.

Hi everyone, we have decided to suspend official meet-ups in Barry Wetherspoons for the time being because of the coronavirus issue. Some people may decide to meet informally, so please don’t hesitate to get in touch if you want to know what is still happening locally.

Here’s the latest news from @arianrhod - so exciting to see that the monthly meetups are happening again!

When: 3rd Thursday of the month
Time: 10:30 to 11:30
Where: Ty Pwmp (Pumphouse) under the glass roof

If you’re visiting the area during the summer, get in touch with @arianrhod and I’m sure the group will be pleased to welcome you.

Unfortunately this venue has not turned out to meet our needs, so we are going to have to look for somewhere else :frowning_face: There have been new parking charges introduced in many places in Barry, so we’ll test out various options over the next few weeks and see what’s out there.

1 Like

Did you manage to find anywhere more suitable @arianrhod?
It would be nice to catch up.