Barry SSIW updates

Please let me know any errors or omissions (above). Great evening at the Park last night with Elin Fflur thanks to Menter Bro Morgannwg but I’m getting to old for gigs - especially after a week that had an all-night US election!
Judy

1 Like

All good wishes for December. Here’s a reminder about a few events:

Thursday 1 December (tomorrow) 10-11am Foxy’s in Penarth - Bore Coffi i Ddysgwyr

Saturday 3rd December - 9.30am - 1pm Sadwrn Siarad in Cowbridge (costs £10, to book please ring 01446 733762) also the weekly Caffi Cymraeg in Barry Library 10-12.

Monday 5 December - 2.15pm Merched y Wawr meet in Foxy’s Deli, Penarth. Also, nos Lun in Barry, Cylch Darllen 6-7pm followed by the Plygain Carol practice 7pm to 8.30.
*Please note this is the last Cylch Darllen until the new year.

Nos Lun 12 December, 6-9pm come and enjoy the Christmas Party at the Palmerston Centre Craft and social activities for all the family- come and try out your Welsh.

Wednesday 14 December - 5.30pm Carol Concert at Ysgol Bro Morgannwg. Refreshments are provided in the hour before the concert begins at 6.30pm. Tickets - £5 (£3). Please let Larry know as soon as possible if you want a ticket.

Advance Notice - Saturday 7th January - Welsh language film at the Caffi Cymraeg: Tân ar y Comin (from the popular book by T. Llew Jones)

Nadolig Llawen i Bawb - have an enjoyable Christmas,
Judy

1 Like

Blwyddyn Newydd Dda i bawb,

Tuesday 3rd January - Valeways 10-11.45am walking with Ruth. Meet outside Coffee Cove, Barry Island.

Thursday 5th January - coffee with Menter Bro Morgannwg 10-11am at Foxy’s Deli, Penarth.

Saturday 7th January (weekly) - Coffi Cymraeg with Sarian upstairs in Barry Library (the room on the right at the top of the stairs.)

Monday 16th January - the weekly Nos Lun at the Canolfan Palmerston begins a new term. The Cylch Darllen resumes reading the novel “Veritas” by Mari Lisa between 6-7pm. All levels welcome. Practise reading Welsh aloud. Other activities restart on the same evening.

Tuesday 17th January - Cymrodorion 7.15pm downstairs in the Vestry, Tabernacl, King Square. Speaker advertised as Siân Meinir.

Thursday 19th January - Cylch Siarad 10.30-11.30am at the YMCA Hub, Gladstone Road. Come and chat over a coffee, all levels welcome.

Monday 23rd January - Nos Lun - usual activities plus 7.30pm Clwb Llyfrau with Luned Whelan, discussing the novel ‘Cai’ by Eurig Salisbury (the discussion is in Welsh for those who have read the book, but why not come and listen in on the discussion?)

• Merched y Wawr: January date to be arranged.
    ** Tabernacl, King Square. There is a morning service every Sunday in January at 11am. Excellent listening practice!
    *** For the full list of Valeways Welsh walks, please see those listed in red on the Valeways website.

Have I forgotten to list any other free/minimal cost activities in Barry? Please ask for more details of any of the above.

Hwyl a wela i chi yn fuan, Judy

1 Like

Hi everyone,

Here’s a special invitation from Nic to come and see the Welsh film tomorrow morning in the Library. Suitable for all the family and no charge.

Gwahoddiad

Sadwrn 7 Ionawr
                      10 y bore – 12

Ystafell Philip John, Llyfrgell y Barri

Bydd cyfle i weld y ffilm Gymraeg ‘Tan ar y Comin’

Addas i’r teulu i gyd
                     Mynediad am ddim

Nic ap Glyn

1 Like

I’ve had an email from Mared letting us know that things will be changing on Monday nights at the Palmerston Centre this term.

Our Cylch Darllen will continue between 6-7pm as usual, starting back next Monday 16th January. The monthly Clwb Llyfrau with Luned will also continue.

The weekly Digital Workshop and Singing Sessions have been closed as so few were attending them. Instead, the focus will be on Mared’s popular special events. The ones scheduled are:

• Santes Dwynwen Special on Monday 23rd January
  • Noson Dewi Sant on Monday 27th February

Nothing was said about the weekly ‘drop in’ to play Welsh Scrabble/informal chat over a coffee at 7pm. I am usually there and willing to stay for half an hour even if there is nobody else around after our Cylch Darllen session, so please do continue to come.

Here’s a special invitation from Mared for Wednesday 25th January. Tea and cakes are on offer between 11am and 2pm in exchange for your help. There will be a photographer at work, capturing images of people chatting, reading a book, drinking coffee etc which will be used in advertising material. Please come and ‘model’ for Mared and help spread the word about Welsh.

1 Like

Here’s a message from Mared at the Palmerston Centre

Palmerston Centre
The arrangements for celebrating St Dwynwen and St David have changed and will no longer be held on Monday night this year.

Instead, Mared invites you to come between 11am and 2pm on Wednesday 25th January to celebrate St Dwynwen’s Day (when there will be a photographer there as previously advertised). The St David’s Day celebration will be on Wednesday 1st March between 11am and 2pm.

Valeways
If dressing up and eating cake is not your style, what about a Valeways alternative for St Dwynwen’s Day on 25th January?

10am Wednesday January 25th, ‘Crwydro’ followed by an option for a longer walk at 11.45am, ‘Dathlu Santes Dwynwen’ for which you need to take a packed lunch. Meet at the main entrance to the Amgueddfa Werin Sain Ffagan (parking charge per car was £5 last time we visited). Details are on the Valeways website. Contact Ruth for up-to-date information. Please wear suitable shoes and clothing.

N.B Our Cylch Darllen continues each Monday evening at the Palmerston Centre 6-7pm. The monthly Clwb Llyfrau meets there at 7.30pm next Monday 23rd January to discuss the novel ‘Cai’ with Luned Whelan.

1 Like

Hi everyone, January is almost behind us, so here is the programme for February.

Thursday 2nd February - 10-11am Foxy’s Penarth meet for coffee.

Saturday 4th February (weekly) - 10-12am Sarian’s Caffi Cymraeg

Monday 6th February - 2.15pm Merched y Wawr meets in the Palmerston Centre.
Monday 6th February (weekly) - 6-7pm Cylch Darllen in the Palmerston Centre continues reading Veritas by Mari Lisa

Tuesday 7th February - 10am Crwydro with Valeways meet outside Coffee Cove. With 11.45am “Ar drywydd Sant Baruc”.

Wednesday 15th February 10am Crwydro with Valeways, meet at the Visitor Centre, Cosmeston. With 11.45am “Ar drywydd Saunders”.

Thursday 16th February - 10.30-11.30am Cylch Siarad at the YMCA Hub.

Tuesday 21st February - 7.15pm Cymrodorion in the Tabernacl Vestry (down the outside steps), King Square offers “Cerddi Serch” with Euryn Ogwen.

Note: Half Term week is 20-24th February

Monday 27th February, following the usual Cylch Darllen in the Palmerston Centre, the monthly Clwb Llyfrau meets with Luned Whelan at 7.30pm to discuss the novel Dyfi Jyncshyn, by Gareth F Williams.

A look back, a look forward…

We seem to have found a good time for the Cylch Darllen to meet at the YMCA Hub, 10.30-11.30am on the third Thursday of the month. The January meeting was very enjoyable, and the place was quiet, so this will continue to be the venue this year. There is great potential for pairs of people to meet between times - why not find someone who has reached the same level of Welsh as you and meet over a coffee to practice? Some people are already doing this in bubble groups. The idea is just to communicate in however much Welsh you have without worrying about being corrected. I am also willing to meet one-to-one over a coffee.

The Cylch Darllen continues to benefit from the help of Mai Marley and Sarian on Monday nights, helping us with the ‘da Vinci’ type plot of Veritas. Sarian offers paid classes in reading which are proving very successful, but however you read, it’s a great way to learn.
Other useful contacts:

menterbromorgannwg.org (on the home page there is a box ‘cliciwch yma’ to register for their e-newsletter)

valeways.org.uk for a quarterly programme of Welsh and English walking and useful advice.

Please contact me for further information about any of the above or information about other activities in the area - eg the W.E.A. ‘History through the medium of Welsh’ group with Carol Grant begins again in Wenvoe on Wednesday 1st February,
1-3pm. Fee payable, level Uwch Welsh advisable.

2 Likes

Here’s what’s on in March. Please let me know of anything else of interest…

Wednesday 1st March - 12 to 2pm Canolfan Palmerston - celebrate St David’s Day. Dathliad Cawl a Chân.
Ring 01446 733 762 to book a ticket - £5 - for celebratory ‘cawl, cuppa and cake’.

Wednesday 1st March - starts 7pm at the Memo. Live (ish) screening of the Welsh language performance of Macbeth staged in Caerffili castle this month. English subtitles. Tickets £11/£8 concessions from the box office. There’s a group of a dozen of us going.

Thursday 2nd March - 10-11am coffee in Foxy’s Deli, Penarth (Menter Bro Morgannwg)

There is no Merched y Wawr on the first Monday in March and no Cymrodorion on the third Tuesday. They are holding a joint St David’s dinner on Friday 3rd March at Wenvoe Golf Club.

Saturday 4th March - 10-12 Sarian’s Caffi Cymraeg in the library weekly (now with added occasional Scrabble)

Saturday 4th March - Valeways are advertising a 3-boot Welsh walk. 2pm meet Fox and Hounds car park, St Brides. .
For details of all Valeways walks please see their website.

Monday 6th March - Cylch Darllen 6-7pm Canolfan Palmerston weekly in term time. We have chosen the next novel we’ll read together - Blasu by Manon Steffan Ros. All levels welcome, books on loan for an extended period.

Tuesday 7th March 10am Crwydro with Ruth (Valeways) meet outside Coffee Cove (followed by extended walk option).

Wednesday 8th March - Radyr Merched y Wawr extend a welcome to their successful annual Noson y Dysgwyr. Details from Ann Simons.

Wednesday 15th March 10am Crwydro with Ruth (Valeways) meet Porthkerry Park, cafe car park (followed by extended walk option).

Thursday 16th March 10.30 to 11.30am Cylch Siarad in the YMCA Hub, Gladstone Road. Come and discuss the new Cylch Crefft. If you haven’t emailed me already, please let me know you are interested and I’ll add you to the Cylch Crefft group email for further information.

Saturday 25th March Sadwrn Siarad Penarth. Contact the Palmerston Centre on 01446 733 762 for details and cost.

Monday 27th March - 7.30pm Clwb Llyfrau. Monthly book club for fluent readers, Palmerston Centre. This month we will discuss Pant y Wennol by Ruth Richards. This is a highly recommended first novel which nearly won the coveted Medal Ryddiaith 2016 at the National Eisteddfod.

And a last word… Sarian runs Dosbarth Darllen on Wednesday mornings in the Palmerston Centre. Mynediad/Sylfaen 9.30-10.30am, Canolradd/Uwch 10.30-11.30am. Fee payable, but try the first session to see if it’s for you.

1 Like

Gwanwyn!
April has sneaked up on us, along with the clock change. Where does time go?

There is no Cylch Siarad this month as it falls within the Easter holiday period.
The next Cylch Darllen will be 6-7pm on Monday 24th April.
There is no Cylch Crefft yet, still waiting for news from the library about the evening opening hours.

Please note the Spring Term at the Palmerston Centre has now ended. The summer term recommences Monday, 24th April to Monday, 10 July. Half term is Monday 29 May to Friday 2 June. There is a leaflet available from the Palmerston Centre giving information about dates and activities, including exam dates and August revision sessions.

Saturday 1 April 10-12 Caffi Cymraeg with Sarian upstairs in the library. Sarian will be in the library every Saturday this month except Easter Saturday (15th April).

Tuesday 4th April - 10am Crwydro with Valeways. Meet outside Coffee Cove.
Tuesday 4th April - 7.30pm - Merched y Wawr meets in the Vestry of the Tabernacl, King Square. Advertised speaker: Catrin Jefferies.

Thursday 6th April - 10-11am Bore Coffi Foxy’s Deli, Penarth

14-17 April - Good Friday, Easter Saturday, Sunday and Monday

Tuesday 18 April - Cymrodorion y Barri meet in the Vestry of the Tabernacl, King Square.
Advertised speakers are Olwen Rees and Johnny Tudor, ‘Tra bo Dau’.

Saturday 22 April - 11am to 4pm Amgueddfa Sain Ffagan - ‘Ar Lafar’ Gŵyl Gymraeg i Ddysgwyr - free event (but take change to pay at the car park machines. Last time I went it was £5 per car) See the Sain Ffagan website for details of what’s on.

Monday 24th April - Cylch Darllen 6-7pm We are at the start of reading Blasu by Manon Steffan Ros. Catch up with us tonight! We’ve reached page 29.
Monday 24th April - Clwb Llyfrau 7.30pm The book club for experienced readers will be discussing Rhys Iorwerth’s novel, Abermandraw.

Tuesday 25th April 10-11am - New Bore Coffi Menter Bro Morgannwg in the Pump House, Barry. On the last Tuesday of the month from now on.

Enjoy your Easter break.

2 Likes

May is the gateway to the summer, when the indoor activities start to wind down, but there will still be plenty of Welsh events to come. Dates to be aware of in May are - Bank holidays this Monday, 1st May, and Spring Bank Holiday, Monday 29th May. Half-term is the week of 29th May to 2nd June. Exam revision at Palmerston is on Friday 26th May.

So here’s the calendar:
Monday 1st May - BANK HOLIDAY Canolfan Palmerston is shut and there is no Cylch Darllen.

Tuesday 2nd May - Crwydro with Valeways. Stroll around Barry Island for an hour, then go for a coffee and chat. Meet 10am outside Coffee Cove as usual on the first Tuesday of the month.

Tuesday 2nd May - Bore Coffi Menter Bro Morgannwg 10-11am in the Tŷ Pwmp. Now weekly.

Tuesday 2nd May - Merched y Wawr meet 7.30pm in the Tabernacl Vestry, King Square. Elenid Jones is the advertised speaker.

Thursday 4th May - 10-11am Bore Coffi at Foxys, Penarth.

Saturday 6th May - Caffi Cymraeg with Sarian in the library - weekly session 10am to midday.

Monday 8th May - 6-7pm Cylch Darllen, Palmerston Centre. We’re on page 41 of the novel Blasu by Manon Steffan Ros

Tuesday 16th May - Cymrodorion have arranged a Quiz Night in the Football Club.to finish the year’s programme.

Friday 19th May - 8pm Gigs Bach y Fro - Alys Williams and Osian Williams appearing at the Ex-Servicemen’s Club, Windsor Road, Penarth. Tickets £10 can be reserved by phone from Ffion at Menter Bro Morgannwg.

Tuesday 23rd - Sunday 28 May - Vale of Glamorgan Walking Festival (see www.valeofglamorganwalkingfestival.org.uk)
I can’t see specific Welsh walks this year, but as with so many things, it just needs a few people to organise to meet up and hey presto - it’s a Welsh walk.

Monday 29th May - BANK HOLIDAY so no Cylch Darllen.

I also sent round another group email this month to answer people’s queries. Here’s the gist:

Cylch Siarad - For a couple of years we’ve arranged summer trips by train during the summer break, when we don’t meet at the YMCA Hub. This year, Sarian’s Caffi Cymraeg will be arranging summer trips. No details yet. Perhaps we could discuss this in our Cylch Siarad on Thursday 18th May, or on a Saturday morning with Sarian in the library.

Cylch Crefft - We have nine people waiting to start this new group on Wednesday evenings at 7pm. I’ve emailed the Library asking for an update and asked the staff at the library but nothing is happening as yet. The system was supposed to start at the beginning of March, and was waiting for the technology to be tested. So again, watch this space.

Cylch Darllen - As it’s on Mondays, we lose the Cylch Darllen session every bank holiday, half-term and between term breaks. However, during these breaks, I am very willing to arrange convenient meetings with individuals or groups, offering help with pronunciation of Welsh through reading aloud. So if you need to boost your confidence, why not get in touch.

Bore Coffi Menter Bro Morgannwg This started last week on Tuesday morning, 10-11am in the Pump House. I contacted Ffion to check and it is now official. These will be weekly coffee mornings from now on, details as above.

It’s exciting to see how many activities have grown in the Barry area since we started our little Say Something In Welsh group in the autumn of 2013. For the most part, I stick to advertising free or cheap activities in Barry, plus a couple of things in Penarth. But if you’re looking for more, it’s likely to be out there these days, so ask around. For example, Sarian’s reading groups on Tuesday morning for levels up to and including Canolradd (fee payable).

Lastly, the Say Something In Welsh method is great - hynny yw… get out and practise your Welsh with a friend! I am always willing to meet up for a coffee to practise getting those sentences out into the real world.

See you at the gig on 19th May!

1 Like

It seems I left the Cylch Siarad off the Calendar by mistake - 10.30 to 11.30am at the YMCA Hub on Thursday 18th May. How did I manage a mistake like that!

1 Like

Hai bawb,

June is here and many of the usual events are edging towards their well earned summer rest. If you would like to keep your Welsh alive, there are still great ways to do this during the break.

Weekly:

Mondays - 6-7pm Cylch Darllen continues our novel Blasu by Manon Steffan Ros at the Palmerston Centre until the end of term.

Saturdays - Sarian’s Caffi Cymraeg will continue to meet 10-12 over the summer in Barry library,

Tuesdays - Bore Coffi Academy coffee mornings take place 10-11 in the Pump House, Barry Waterfront. Find a friend and meet on the beach with an ice cream if these dates are not convenient for you.

Monthly

Thursday 1st June 10-11 coffee at Foxy’s, Penarth

Tuesday 6th June 10am Crwydro with Valeways. Meet outside Coffee Cove for a stroll

Thursday 15th June 10.30 to 11.30 Cylch Siarad at the YMCA Hub, Gladstone Road. [Next month, the July Cylch Siarad will have a different summer venue for a change - to be confirmed.]

Saturday 17th June - Gŵyl Fach y Fro
What about volunteering to help with this year’s Gŵyl Fach y Fro which takes place on Saturday 17th June? Ffion of Menter Bro Morgannwg is asking you to contact her by email or phone if this tickles your fancy - :
ffion@menterbromorgannwg.cymru / 029 20689888. They are looking for enthusiastic people to give out leaflets along the promenade and be a general contact point for the public. Shifts are available, rewarded with a food voucher for the festival stalls.

Saturday 24th June, 9.30 to 1.00 Sadwrn Siarad at the Palmerston Centre costs £10 and there is a creche, but please book ahead on 01446 733762 or for more information: learnwelsh@valeofglamorgan.gov.uk

Intensive Summer Course
Lastly, here’s advance notice of a week long summer course for level Uwch, July 3rd to 7th. The cost is £75 (concessions £50, £25), to include lunch on 5 days. Location: Neuadd Hebron Dinas Powys. Contact Suzanne Condon for more details. Book ahead 01446 733762

PS - here’s a reminder of the terrific line-up for the free event on Saturday 17 June,
Bryn Fôn a’r Band • Candelas • HMS Morris
Band Jazz Rhys Taylor • Eady Crawford
Band Nantgarw • DJ Bethan Elfyn
DJ Elan Evans

Ffwrnes Pizza • Grazing Shed • Bay 5
Bar Tomos & Lilford • Stondinau Crefftau a Bwyd

Ardal chwarae, sgiliau syrcas, celf a chrefft, gweithdai
chwaraeon a gweithgareddau i ddysgwyr

DIGWYDDIAD AM DDIM!

1 Like

July already! Mis Gorffennaf - gorffen haf as the days begin to shorten - but let’s hope the summer weather continues… Did everyone get to Gŵyl Fach y Fro on Saturday 17th June? Barry Island in a heatwave. There was a lovely breeze blowing from the balcony and great to hear the bands.

Here’s the programme:

Tuesday 4th July 10am Crwydro with Valeways. Meet outside Coffee Cove as usual for a stroll round Barry Island.

Thursday 6th July 10-11am Foxys, Penarth - meet up for coffee and chat.

Thursday 20th July 10.30-11.30 am Cylch Siarad meets in the Mount Sorrel cafe, Porthkerry Road, Barry. As usual, in the summer we try out a couple of new venues, and this one is just up the road from the Broad Street train station.

Weekly opportunities continue as before - the Tuesday morning session in theTŷ Pwmp meets 10-11am. The Caffi Cymraeg in Barry Library is 10-12 midday on Saturdays.

Is anyone planning on going to summer courses? It would be good to have feedback. I’ve heard from a couple of people very positive about residential courses. There are cheaper options for intensive day courses more locally, and the level Uwch course in Dinas Powis may still have places. Here’s the details:

Level Uwch course, July 3rd to 7th. £75 (concessions £50, £25), to include lunch on 5 days. Location: Neuadd Hebron Dinas Powys. Contact Suzanne Condon for more details. Book on 01446 733762

Hwyl am y tro.

1 Like

Hi everyone,

The arrangement for meeting up with Karla and Milla tomorrow night is to meet at the Ship Hotel, Harbour Road, Barry some time after 7pm. I plan on getting there towards 8pm. Sonia has been arranging this on the ‘Anyone in Cardiff on the 15th or 16th?’ thread.

There’s a general invitation to join Sonia on Sunday afternoon when she’ll be taking people round Sain Ffagan. It would be nice to bump into them if you happen to be there, in any event. Their time of arrival at the Ship depends on when they get back from that.

Hope to see you at one or the other.

3 Likes

It was lovely to meet up on Sunday night at the Ship.

This is a reminder that the Cylch Siarad will be meeting this Thursday, 20th July 10.30-11.30am at the Mount Cafe.

We try new venues over the summer months, and this time, the Mount Cafe in Porthkerry Road, Barry has been suggested. I tried it out today and here’s the feedback:

We parked in Porthkerry Road, there was room on the street. Nearest bus stop is on Broad Street (the stop used to be called the Barry Hotel, now Windsor Court). If coming by train, the nearest station is Barry (Broad Street). Cross on the pedestrian crossing, proceed right when you reach the walkway (used to be called birdcage walk) and turn left up Windsor Road (Windsor Court is on the corner). At the top of the street, is the very white Mount Sorrel Hotel (now called the Mount Rooms) and the cafe is easy to spot. If you don’t like steps, the cafe is also accessed via the main entrance.

A pot of tea is £2.10 per person - but you can split this between two as the portion is enormous. Neither of us had coffee so can’t tell you about that.

Hope to see one or two of you if you’re about,

Hwyl am y tro

1 Like

Hello - August is almost upon us already and I’ll start with a correction. The Caffi Cymraeg will be in the library this Saturday 29th July, between 10am and midday in the Philip John Room . Why not pop along and see what’s on offer this summer?

Tuesday 1st August - Crwydro with Valeways. Meet 10am outside Coffee Cove for a stroll.

Tuesday 1st August - The Tuesday Menter y Fro group will not be in the Ty Pwmp. Instead they are meeting for lunch at midday in Mr Villa’s Fish and Oyster Bar at the Knap. As I left, they were trying to gauge numbers and intending to book a table. Possibly there will be something on Facebook or check with Menter Bro Morgannwg if you are interested. This is the last meeting of the group until they start again in September.

Thursday 3rd August - The monthly coffee morning will be held as usual in Foxys, Penarth, between 10-11.

Friday 4th to Saturday 12th August - Eisteddfod Genedlaethol. I’m looking forward to watching on S4C, but is anyone going in person?

Thursday 10th August - Cylch Siarad Who’s interested in meeting up 10.30 to 11.30am? Where would you like to go this time? If you want a break from Welsh, like most of the other groups, just give it a miss. Or keep your Welsh flowing and come and express yourselves!

Thursday 17th August - Cylch Siarad 10.30 to 11.30am Meet in the Mount Cafe again, Mountsorrel Hotel, Porthkerry Road.

Thursday 24th August and Thursday 31st August - Cylch Siarad To be arranged, if there is interest.

Hwyl am y tro

2 Likes

We had a glorious day to walk Barry Island with Valeways yesterday - did someone say eleven of us turned up? That’s the beauty of staycations in Barry!

Thursday 3rd August - tomorrow - Foxy’s Deli, Penarth 10-11am for coffee.

Thursday 10th August - meet in the coffee shop, Cosmeston Country Park 10.30am. If it’s good weather we can go for a walk after coffee.

Thursday 17th August - Cylch Siarad meet 10.30-11.30 in the Mount Cafe, Porthkerry Road.

Thursdays 24 August and 31 August - to be arranged but probably one on Barry Island and one at the Knap. Suggestions welcome.

Reminder - Tuesdays in Tŷ Pwmp are now on a summer break until September, but how about trying Tuesday evenings at the Palmerston Centre? There are free revision sessions 7-9 pm for the next three weeks in August (8th, 15th and 22nd) to keep you sharp - five class levels on offer.

September - Cymrodorion
Thursday 19th September - talk 7.15pm by the Phd student Nick Morgan from Aberystwyth on Welsh identity.
The year’s subscription is £6 which pays for the speakers.

Thursday 17th October - Noson y Dysgwyr
Free evening.

Gareth and I will be dropping into all the Uwch classes during the last week of September to promote the series of talks offered by Barry Cymrodorion this year. On our visits, we’ll be encouraging people to come out of the classroom and ‘pontio’ to the Welsh community in the Vale as part of the effort to get a million Welsh speakers by 2050.

So many of you are brilliant ambassadors already. If you are in a class of any level, and enjoy the experience of listening to Welsh, it would be wonderful if you were to help someone in your ‘dosbarth’ to take the next step and come to Cymrodorion’s ‘Noson y Dysgwyr’ on Thursday 17th October. If you need lifts, then please contact me.

Hwyl am y tro

2 Likes

It was lovely to chat last week in Cosmeston Country Park - and we ended up learning a couple of words of Afrikaans! A couple of us went walking and discovered the fantastic medieval village is closed to free entry during the summer holidays, but will re-open in the mornings once term time starts again.

Tomorrow - Thursday 17th August 10.30-11.30am, Cylch Siarad is at the Mount Cafe, Porthkerry Road.

Let me know where you want to go on Thursday 24th August.

1 Like

I have booked a table at Romillys coffee shop at the Knap for this Thursday 24th August, 10.30 to 11.30. You probably know they do coffee and cakes, breakfast if you fancy it. Hope to see you there!

The last Thursday of August, 31st August, the Cylch Siarad we’ll be meeting in Wetherspoons (The Sir Samuel Romilly, which was the old Romilly Cinema) on the corner of Broad Street. Meet in the quiet area that looks directly out onto Broad Street.

It’s not far from Barry train station, the next corner along from Windsor Court. There is an entrance on Broad Street itself, (or the main entrance is round the corner in Market Street, and make your way to the front, by way of a few stairs).

Eek, after that it will be September!

2 Likes

Last meeting of the summer tomorrow!

Thursday 31st August 10.30 to 11.30am - meet in Wetherspoons (The Sir Samuel Romilly), Broad Street. We’ll be right down at the front, looking out at Broad Street.

Topic for discussion - the coming year. Thanks to your input, we are definitely carrying on with the Cylch Siarad for another year, third Thursday morning of the month 10.30 to 11.30am as before. Venue to be discussed tomorrow. Romillys last week was excellent for us, but a bit of a trek for anyone coming by public transport.

There was some suggestion before the summer that it would be lovely to meet for lunch sometimes. Would you like a monthly meet-up for lunch somewhere (venue could vary, up to you to choose) once a month in addition? Sort of like a second Cylch Siarad plus reasonably priced nosh? Again, up to you. Come and discuss tomorrow.

1 Like