BBC Radio Cymru

It’s been on a few weeks now but this has been great for hearing northern (or are they southern? They’ve just used: “Sa i’n gwybod” :blush: ) accents: to my ear the voices of Caernarfon, Pen-y-Groes…It’s been great practice for ear training; and the characters seem like working class people I know .

For those of you who enjoy Pobl Y Cwm todays Cofio was an enjoyable affectionate look back at its first 40 years, this year.
Interesting to hear the stories about how they had difficulty in creating scripts which people in different parts of the country could understand. Many of the first actors were amateurs who battled sets that wobbled - a bit like, Crossroads then… :smile:

1 Like

The latest RAJAR figures (July - September) see, Radio Cymru record its lowest listenership ever 105,000 people tuned in weekly. Seeing a drop of 42,000 people. Disappointing, when compared to the previous quarter which saw a rise. Though, those who do listen tune in longer.
I’ve been tuned in less myself - I’ve never been keen on Sîan Cothi (her voice grates me) and Tuder Owen’s show is o.k in small mouthfuls only; Tommo has lost lustre also: he needs to allow others to speak.
Mind you people have been on their holidays so that’ll play in a bit…Not good though - about a 31% drop.
Still, there’s still loads of great content. I love the radio plays - Becca Bingo - was brilliant and I’m enjoying Dylan in the morning; Taro Post is better without the musical interludes…

BRING BACK, JONSI! :wink:

Taro’r Post are covering the latest figures on today’s show.

I’ve just noticed that one as well. They keep on slipping in interesting new (to me) programmes, although I notice series in general don’t last long.

Just listening to the latest show by, Hywel Gwynfryn who celebrates his 50th year in Welsh broadcasting.
For those of you who don’t know Hywel is involved in Ffrindaeth and came to a SSIW party as special guest. I realised a few days ago he also wrote the lyrics to the popular song, Anfonaf Angel/Guardian Angel, recorded by many Welsh artists. It’s a beautiful song!

2 Likes

@robrodrigues, I started with the southern course and, after I’d finished it and the level version, I started on the northern level course. Doing so dramatically increased how much I understood when listening to spoken Welsh; I wish I’d started sooner.

1 Like

I’ve only just started, but when I was streaming the radio last night, I did hear a song that used a few words that I’ve learned so far. It was a slow song though, and the words were repeated enough times to where I was able to catch them.

2 Likes

Just caught a couple of seconds of, Iestyn talking on, Taro Post - no idea about what but I’ll put the link-up soon as…

2 Likes

It starts 42 and a bit minutes in: I havn’t heard the whole show today but I think it’s about child discipline.

1 Like

i wish they would get rid of Tomo. I used to listen to Radio Cymru in the afternoon but no longer do. He may have been suitable for local radio but he is certainly NOT suitable for National radio.

I agree. I’m sure there are some people out there that like Tomo but I just feel like he’s shouting at me all the time. The other week I was driving somewhere in the afternoon and I was going to turn the radio off as it was time for Tomo, but then I heard that he was on holiday and it was Ifan Evans instead. What a delight he is! He still had all the same things on the show that Tomo does, but he was really pleasant to listen to.

Me! I like Tommo! :heart_eyes_cat:

3 Likes

I like him too!

3 Likes

I like Tommo too, a bit of irreverent nonsense that gives me a giggle can’t be that bad!

2 Likes

I like Bore Cothi (esp. her voice) and she’s talking very clearly. Others are very difficult to understand, like Elin Fflur when listening to her in an interview.
Anyway, living outside Wales and UK, BBC Cymru is the only window to spoken Welsh language.

I started learning Welsh about 1 year and 3 months ago, and went through SSIW 1-6, all what BBC offers, ‘Ysbyty Brynaber’ I went through 3 times, finally I could understand most dialogues. (pity they didn’t continue the story…).
Bytesize is very good as well
http://www.bbc.co.uk/schools/gcsebitesize/welshsecondlanguage/contexta/

In my opinion it helps to learn and sing Welsh songs like ‘Calon Lan’ or ‘Dacu nghariad’, it helps to get the ‘flow’ of the language.
What I’m searching for, is how to find the lyrics of new songs (Y Rhacs ‘Gwir Gymry’, new songs from 10ynybws, Mirain Evans ‘Galw amdanat ti’, that one I’ve listened to so many times that I understand most words now).

1 Like

Great to hear the staff talking about working in the Black Boy pub. If your in Caernarfon this pub is a must see visit. Most of the staff speak Welsh and the locals are a total mixture of local characters happy to chat to learners: dust men to the famous frequent its bars…When I’m in Cofi Dre I’m here every night.

1 Like

And the food’s good there, too!

God!!! Post Cyntaf has gone over the top talking about, Eastenders, today…Does anyone get excited over the 30th anniversary of that programme? Worst Post Cyntaf ever…Yn hollol rwtsh heddiw. The real eastend was never that crappy
The road and weather reports were o.k though…

1 Like

I did ask Radio Cymru when they were going to get rid of Tomo. I received the reply that although he is not to everyones taste it seems the programme is quite popular and we are stuck with him.
Now I do not listen to Radio Cymru in the afternoons of Mon, Tue, Wed and Thur if I can avoid it.