BBC Radio Cymru

Just heard, Gaby’s voice on todays Post Cyntaf headlines. He talks about the Mediterranean drownings.

1 Like

In case anyone missed it who might have been interested:

The position of Welsh in Patagonia.

Seems there is some grounds for optimism.

(21 days left to listen at the time of writing)

4 Likes

Looking forward to Taro Post live from Pen-y-Groes today.

2 Likes

Nothing strange that people say that many times they can quite understand what’s talking about on Radio Cymru. I’m listening to it just right now and the whole parts of sentences otherwise in Cymraeg are said in English … I’ve heard some words in the sentences before to be English but the whole parts of the sentences? Interesting in deed.

1 Like

Occasionally I’ve listend to Radio Cymru and have thought to myself how well my Welsh comprehension is developing, only to realise they’ve been speaking English :frowning: It’s still a great tool to learn with though. I always have it on in the car as background noise.

3 Likes

Well, I can afford to have it as a background noise when I’m home alone but this is not many times. I could listen to it on the bus when driving home though, but I’m rather using my time to learn, doing listening practices or something similar so that I “buy” some spare time for other things which need to be done when I come home.

But, yes, I agree. It’s still good thing to listen especially Bore Cothi. Ah, but yes, a lot of English in the talk always it seams to me many times like I’d listen to myself needing constant escape in English when I don’t find the word in Cymraeg (however if I’d speak it would be rather oposite way - a lot of English with bits of Cymraeg as my vocabulary (this I established today in a best way) is realyl, raally tinny).

1 Like

I was listening to “Dan yr Wyneb” the other day, and one person who was being interviewed, while otherwise fairly fluent, spoke quite slowly, and quite often was clearly struggling for Welsh vocabulary and came out with an English expression, much more so than most people on there. I was willing her on to find the Welsh words, but often she didn’t. But chwarae teg to her: at least she was able to understand what was said to her and finish a not particularly short interview.

On another subject: Cerdd Dant was mentioned on here recently.

In this programme,

…they are talking to people around Porthcawl who have come for the Cerd Dant festival.
Although I should not have been, I was surprised at first to hear “Porthcawl” pronounced the Welsh way, instead of the English way, which is the only way I’ve ever heard it pronounced before! :blush:

1 Like

Includes a short (and perhaps rare) recording near the beginning of Richard Burton speaking Welsh. (I know there are some other Richard Burton fans here).

Rhifyn arbennig o’r Talwrn wedi’i recordio ym Mhorthcawl i ddathlu ymweliad yr Ŵyl Cerdd Dant â’r dref. A special edition celebrating the Cerdd Dant Festival visiting Porthcawl.

I don’t think you have to understand it all to appreciate the humour and clever wordplay.

Dim Radio Cymru, ond son am Cerdd Dant, mae rhywun wedi dweud wrtha fi a’r fideo hon:
Cymryd eitha galluog a disglair Ryan Davies ar ffurf Cerdd Dant:

Not Radio Cymru, but talking about Cerdd Dant, someone told me about this video:
Ryan Davies’s rather brilliant and talented take on the form Cerdd Dant:

3 Likes

I love that clip of Ryan Davies! I’ve watched it lots of times and it still amuses me every time. I so wish I’d had a chance to see him when he was still alive.

This sounds fun:

20/11/2015
Oes 'Na Roc a Rôl ar Ôl?
Idris Charles, Dafydd Iwan a Caryl Parry Jones sy’n gofyn 'Oes ‘na Roc ar ôl ar Radio Cymru?’ A new panel game which tries to find out if Wales is a nation of rock and rollers.

Dydd Gwener 20 Nov 2015 12:30 GMT then available via iPlayer for up to 28 days.

2 Likes

Not Welsh, but one of the team members told this joke half-way through:

Dai is having a medical examination, and the doctor asks:

“Mr Jones, in order for me to get a full picture, could you tell me the colour of your stool?”

Dai: “Stool? We 'aven’t even gotta piano!”

2 Likes

I don’t always listen to “Beti A’i Phobol”, but was intrigued to found out who Alwen Williams was:

It turns out she is the head of the Welsh region of BT:

She seems to have been born and educated in the north, but didn’t sound all that northern to me. Perhaps 10 years of working in Cardiff has taken its toll… :slight_smile:

Joking apart, she sounds very nice, and it’s great that a fluent Welsh speaker can get to the top of a region of a major national company, and of course great that a woman can get to the top wherever it may be.

Beirdd Radio Cymru

This is one corner of the Radio Cymru site that I was dimly aware of, but had never explored. Perhaps because I’m getting more interested in reading these days, I had a look around.

One interesting thing is that in many cases (not all), you get the text of a poem as well as being able to hear the author reciting it. Good for anyone beginning reading I would think, or who is getting in to poetry, or who just likes the sound of poetry.

It’s not all deadly serious, either.
e.g.

The output of the “Poet of the Month” seems to remain on the site for quite a long time. At the time of writing, it goes back nearly two years.

Did someone post a link to this recently? I can’t find it now, but anyway, something drew it to my attention. I’ve only just got around to listening, and found it interesting, with relatively accessible Welsh:

Faint wyddoch chi am Gynulliad Cenedlaethol Cymru? Dyma’r cyfle perffaith i ddysgu wrth i Caryl gadeirio cwis. Caryl chairs a quiz on the National Assembly for Wales

While the programme above was interesting, I’ve just realised that the programme I really meant was the following:

Discussion about English speaking parents who send their children to Welsh-medium schools.

chuffed with this. please sign http://www.petitions24.com/bring_back_becca_bingo_on_radio_cymru

1 Like

New developments at Radio Cymru:
English version - http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-36309783
Welsh version (with a familiar face) - http://www.bbc.co.uk/cymrufyw/36306933

1 Like

Hmm. Well, I read every word in Welsh, and then read the same article again in English to make sure I hadn’t missed something, but nope. They’re announcing a three-month trial pop-up station online (and etc.) . . . but saying absolutely zero about its contents & focus? The English article implies it’ll be youth-focused, the Welsh article doesn’t say that (except in the other stuff at the end about other platforms) but does say it’ll broadcast only in the mornings (a detail missing from the English version)…

::scratches head::

1 Like