Bechingalw

Just learned a new word from a sentence discussion on Duolingo: bechingalw “thingamajig, watchamacallit”.

After I looked at it twice, I could see the Be’ chi’n galw? “what (do) you call (it)?” in it.

And I was surprised to find out that even the venerable GPC (Dictionary of the Welsh Language) has an entry for it! I thought it was simply modern slang, but presumably it’s been around for a while.

So if you’re ever at a loss for a word…

GPC notes a variant betingalw which might come in handy when you’re talking to a single friend.

6 Likes

There used to be a group in Merthyr called y Betigalws. They released an EP maybe seven or eight years ago. I saw them once in Brecon. I think that possibly Jamie Bevan was on guitar. A quick Google shows that they left next to no trace!

2 Likes

Is this them?

3 Likes

That’s them. That’s Jamie Bevan on the horrible Explorer guitar thing.

Edited to add: Maybe I should have searched on their actual name. :rolling_eyes: Turns out that Delyth McLean was one of the singers.

1 Like

Hefyd

2 Likes

In the movie “The Englishman who Went Up a Hill but Came Down a Mountain,” there’s a spot where a character says, “I don’t know the English word, but in Welsh we call it a bethyngalw.” I was the only person in the theater who laughed.

5 Likes