Being De-railed by a couple of negative comments

Thank you - that is a very good pep talk video! I have book marked it to watch again for times when i need a boost and to remember that being a Welsh learner as a Welsh girl is not something to be ashamed of. Diolch.

4 Likes

Christina, I would have directed you to exactly the same spot in the video posted above by @delawarejones, which is so appropriate. I would add that when I was younger I moved to Israel and had to plunge into a Hebrew-speaking world. It was tough at first, and there were a few ****s who made fun of my Hebrew. Learning to ignore them was a most rewarding experience…
Whereas I really sympathise with you and your being hurt (I’ve been there), the ****s really do exist in all communities. Their problem and not yours. Good luck!

6 Likes

Hi Christina. I’ve only just come across this, and it looks as if you’re already over the worst, back on your horse and up to at least trotting pace. Well done! Still, I’ll add my tuppenny worth…

You’ve been caught between two things. Firstly, the internet, which is a weird place where individual views you would never normally hear get magnified and thrust in your face, and where people feel emboldened to say things publicly on a whim that they would never shout out on the bus, or say to your face. If they really thought about it, half of them don’t even believe what they said. The ratio of positive to negative responses that you received demonstrates what a minority the negative commenters are in (1.875% if my terrible maths is correct, and since badness is magnified on the internet, they’re hardly there at all!)

Secondly, learning one’s own language after a lifetime of being without it can be an intensely emotional thing. It’s easy to lose confidence even when everybody about you is being supportive. The fact that you’re already bouncing back from someone saying something actively unpleasant proves that you’re a very resilient learner, and I’m confident that one day you will be fluent. No doubt about it.

It’s your language - take it and enjoy it anywhere you please.

13 Likes

Hi Christina:

I didn’t put a heart on your message (as I normally would), because I just can’t bring myself to “like” what happened to you. You might think this is an overreaction, but I’m literally tearing up right now for you! I feel your pain so deeply.

I, too, have worked so very hard to try to claim back my language; and, although I’ve been lucky enough never to have experienced what you have, I can understand how awful that would have made you feel. What I can’t imagine is what those three people were thinking when they made those comments.

Please, please don’t let it stop you from pursuing your dream of becoming fluent in your own language. You’ll always have a safe home here. :heart:

Hugs,
Marg.

3 Likes

You might like this, then, if you haven’t seen it before – provided you’re not too easily offended… (link is not entirely child-friendly, let’s say). It’s off-topic, but amusing, and relates to the revival of Hebrew.

3 Likes

Not easily offended i am Welsh lol!! Just easily hurt. What a funny link - just shows how mis- understandings can occur even within branches of the same language! :grin:

1 Like

Thanks for your kind words

1 Like

Christina, I learnt many years ago that there are Welsh’Snobs’ and these people are so protective of their language that they simply do not like anyone else being able to speak it. You try and break into a cnversation with some Welsh speakers and they will either try to ignore you
or make some stupid comment about your lack of Welsh. You will never satisfy those few people. Thankfully, we do have quite a large number of Welsh speakers who are more than ready and willing to help. Do not get put off by these type of people, you have to avoid them.

6 Likes

This is all about Facebook really. People go on it for all sorts of reasons. Some people with fragile egos use it to make themselves feel clever by putting down people they know they’ll never meet. Its infantile. Use the block button if you really need Facebook in your life, but ask yourself whether you really do. I’ve been where you are, being upset by stupid trolls. They want you to be upset. Don’t give them what they want.

But also, don’t get upset because you can’t speak your ‘native language’ as well as you’d like. It isn’t your first language. English and Welsh are both languages that have been spoken in Wales by Welsh people for 100s of years. I live in Wales. I am English (well, half Irish, not that it matters). In my town most of the people who identify as Welsh can’t speak Welsh. Speaking Welsh doesn’t make you more Welsh. When I am fluent in Welsh I’ll still be English/Irish. Its all b*llocks. Forget it. Learn Welsh if its fun. Don’t do it to please any other person than yourself.

7 Likes

There will always be idiots who are scathing and dismissive and the anonymity of the net makes it easier for them to be arseholes. You could comfort yourself with the fact that most people who are that scathing to other people, well that is a double edged sword and who would want to live in their head, as they must turn similar attitudes upon themselves? And its true, google translate IS crap! As for being fluent, that is actually a very big aim, though a worthwhile one. Perhaps setting some interim targets might help? Being English, I cannot imagine what it is like not having your native language as your mother-tongue, but I feel that your rage and frustration is not something that you need to take “personally” as it is rooted in real historical oppression which has resulted in the weird complexities of Welsh-language and Welsh-identity today. And finally, “Well sod 'em!” is frequently a good attitude to have to stupid trolls. Maybe their comments are going down on grooves laid by earlier attitudes and comments in your life? But “Sod 'em!” is still a useful sentiment!

5 Likes

Thats a BRILLIANT response … I still say “I’m learning Welsh” or “I’m still learning”.
Unfortunately I discovered this weekend that this isn’t the best answer. A man (obviously NOT a gentleman) was speaking Welsh to someone else and I had joined the conversation. He asked if I spoke Welsh (no, I just guessed what you were talking about!!!) and when I replied that I was still learning, he instantly dismissed me. Just turned his back. However as I actually NEEDED to be part of the conversation (it was in relation to my playing the Last Post!) he had to speak to me, which he did in English … I replied in Welsh to every comment. It might not have been perfect, but I was determined to do it.

But OMB it got my back up!!!

12 Likes

good for you! people like that are few and far between thank goodness, and i have to say, generally i’ve had an awesome response! but you’re right, saying, im learning welsh, or being introduced as a welsh learner, seems to shut the conversation down so i don’t say that anymore, plus i wear a ‘cymraeg’ lanyard round my neck, so people assume i am welsh - sorry to hear you had such a nasty experience, but looking at your response, i think it will spur you on rather than hinder you! all the best xxxx

3 Likes

That’s a great point. I’ve been speaking English all my life and I still learn new things every day. I’d never say “sorry mate I’m an still a learner” so I hope (fingers crossed) that when I visit wales this weekend I don’t do the whole “I’m a learner” thing in welsh but say “dw i’n siarad dypyn bach” or something along those lines! Here’s to wishful thinking haha.

3 Likes

Haha fantastic lol, not sure why I was so apologetic for years,!!! X

3 Likes

Bloody well DONE YOU… :thumbsup:

5 Likes

Totally agree, well said aliC!

1 Like

That is really cool and impressive. :raised_hands:t4::fireworks::fireworks::sparkles::tada:

3 Likes

My “like” was to send you an online hug - not a “like” of what happened - not at all.

There are people who use bullying behaviour all over the place unfortunately.

How reassuring to see all the thoughtful and supportive messages here. What a great bunch of people!

4 Likes

Don’t be discouraged, Christina, there are all sorts of weird people out there. Here’s a phrase I learnt last week which is quite useful: ‘Heb ei fai, heb ei eni.’ lit. ‘without fault, without birth’ i.e. nobody’s perfect!

4 Likes

I have learnt a number of lessons from all your kind words and support :

Do not apologise for being a learner

Keep your head up high when faced with rude,
arrogant, unkind people.

Remember that it is not my fault I do not YET speak my own language

If I keep going and use the passion I have for my language I WILL be a functional Welsh speaker

I have a lot of friends and supporters on here

I am lucky I live in a pocket of Welsh speakers who are very kind and helpful especially both of my neighbours

I am lucky that my son and husband are learners too

So thank you all very much. Thank you to Aran too.

15 Likes