Best way to learn?

Hi folks!

I was going to be sitting my GCSEs this year, but as a lot of you will know, they have been cancelled, schools have been closed and as a result I suddenly have a lot of free time on my hands!

I really want to be a fluent Welsh speaker by the end of these five months of summer and I was wondering two things:

1. Which is the best way to access the SSiW lessons? Do a whole one in one go, do two or more in one go or do one is lots of small sittings?

2. What other things could I be doing to accelerate my Welsh learning?

Diolch,

Lucy :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Superb positive thinking, Lucy :star:
I’m sure you’ll soon get some suggestions here which will help you realise your commendable ambition.
Pob lwc :smile:

2 Likes

Hi, I tend to break my challenge down into about 10 to 15 minute chunks and do the full challenge over the day, and then I’ll move onto next challenge after about a week I’m pretty new to SSiW, I’m on level 1 challenge 5, I also use Duolingo, I hope this is some help to you

2 Likes

People have different learning styles, so I’d say whatever you find suits you best and helps you to keep at it, e.g. regularly setting aside enough time to do two in one go might be difficult. It’s important too not to feel you have to remember everything or do everything right before you move on to the next step - if you get about 80% of the challenges right that’s enough :slightly_smiling_face:

Having Radio Cymru/Radio Cymru 2 on in the background through the day helps to get accustomed to the sound of Welsh and the different accents even if you’re not consciously paying attention and you’ll soon find you’re recognising words and understanding more of what people are saying. And listening to songs on the radio you’ll soon find some ear worms which can’t help but add to your vocabulary.
If you can find any programmes on S4C which interest you that’ll help too, even if you have to use the English subtitles to start with; later where there are Welsh subtitles (not all programmes have them) that’ll be a big help too.
Pob lwc! :slightly_smiling_face:

3 Likes

Hi @lucy-bradburn

All of those methods can work - partly depends on you, partly depends on which challenge you’re on - everyone finds some harder than others, partly depends on how you’re feeling… Find the way that works best for you - and don’t stress if it’s not always the same way!!

If you’ve got the app on your phone, practising while doing something else - from dog walking to the dishes - can be good too. Extra practice without ‘extra’ time… and sometimes it can help you to relax a bit more if you’ve not got all your attention on it, wierdly. Can have interesting side effects - I live in Norfolk, and our (English) Springer spaniel now responds best to instructions in Welsh! As noted by my frustrated husband :rofl:
I have suggested there’s a simple answer to his problem…

Hugely helpful is talking to others in Welsh - and there’s lots of ways of doing that online via Slack, or through the Forum, if you’ve not got anyone near you to practise your Welsh on. And people on Slack are really friendly and encouraging - most are learners themselves, and know what it feels like to have your brain suddenly go blank! There’s always someone to share problems that are driving you mad with (just as there is here on the Forum). And that can be good even if you do have plenty of Welsh speakers around you. Just grab those chances to talk.
(And to listen - as suggested by @johnwilliams_6 - not forgetting Welsh language music Just listen to it to enjoy it…)

A final thought - it’s not speaking, but you could join Clwb Cardiau Post Cymraeg. A Welsh postcard club, with members from all over the world sending postcards - the unique thing being that we all write in Welsh. All sorts of abilities - doesn’t matter - but lots of fun. Members agree to send at least one postcard a month - but may send more if they have the time/ means/ ability/ inclination! Email nia@saysomethingin.com if you want to know more.

Sorry this is a bit long, hope it helps Lucy.

3 Likes

Something I do when I am running on all cylinders and feeling on top of the world is Binge on the challenges. This is a bit like watching Netflix but with SSIW.

2 Likes