Bilingual lyrics to Gwenno album

If, like me, you’re a Gwenno fan, you’ll be very pleased to hear that she has very kindly uploaded the lyrics to her recently released album Y Dydd Olaf in both Welsh and English here.

A lot of the lyrics pages include music videos, but if you’ve not heard Gwenno before, here’s Calon Peiriant:

3 Likes

I remember Gwenno saying she’s fluent in Cornish and Welsh due to her Cornish speaking father and Welsh speaking mother…

Yeah, one of the songs on the album is in Cornish, but I can’t remember which one.

Amser - http://ydyddolaf.wordpress.com/2014/12/28/amser/

The album’s really good and well worth a bash if you haven’t heard Gwenno in solo mode before. Has anyone read the Y Dydd Olaf, Owain Owain book that this album’s inspired by? I’m pretty sure it’s out of print.

I’d love to, but as you said, I think it’s pretty hard to find. I love dystopian fiction, so am impatiently waiting for my Welsh to get good enough so that I can have a go at Wythnos yng Nghymru Fydd. At least that one’s easy to get hold of.

1 Like

Watch out for Gwenno supporting Gruff Rhys on his UK wide tour starting about now…unofficial Cymraeg music ‘festival’ starts at Chapter , Caerdydd 15th, the Plu same venue on25th, R,Seiliog, Clwb Ifor Bach 28th with Candelas, Swnami and Yr Eira same venue on 30th…more details on www.gilydd.com. Mwynhau pobol!

@jonthomas_1 Have you seen the learners’ version of Wythnos yng Nghymru Fydd? (It’s the only version I’ve read, not because I chose it, but because we happen to ahve a copy…! :blush: ) I’m not saying that the simplified version is easy, but it may be a nice stepping stone if you’re patient!

That sounds god, Iestyn, who’s the publisher? I couldn 't see anything in Gomer.
Diolch ,
Shak

I’ve just had a look, and find that it is a Gomer publication, but it’s from 1993, so long out of print by now. It’s part of the “Cam at y Cewri” (Lit: A step towards the giants) series, which I see on Gwales.com (Welsh books council site) includes the other Islwyn Ffowc Elis classics “Cysgod y Cryman” and “Yn ôl i Leifior”, two books which I enjoyed immensely in back in the 80s. Unfortunately, despite the Cam at y Cewri series on Gwales going back as far as 1989, Wythnos yng Nghymru Fydd has obviously been too popular!

Edited to add: I’ve just spotted it on Amazon, if you can bring yourself to buy Welsh books from there…

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/1859020607/ref=s9_simh_gw_p14_d0_i3?pf_rd_m=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&pf_rd_s=center-2&pf_rd_r=06FN7C3Z1GCY3W3K94A1&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=455344027&pf_rd_i=468294

1 Like

Ooh, a learners version! Will have to get that. Diolch yn fawr iawn Iestyn!

Me too, I’ll ask relative with poor commercial integrity to buy it on my behalf from the ‘A’ site :slight_smile:

1 Like