Birmingham meetups

Are there any meetups taking place in Birmingham?

1 Like

Hi Julie,

The weekly newsletter has meetups listed in Manchester, Coventry and Leeds, but nothing in Birmingham as yet. I wonder if others would be interested in getting together with you to get something off the ground?

Dee

1 Like

That’s an interesting idea. Coventry isn’t too far away from me though…

You mean to tell me there are Welsh speakers in supposedly ‘multicultural’ Birmingham?? I thought I was the only one!

1 Like

Actually, that mention of ‘multicultural’ has reminded me - I met a Japanese man who had learnt Welsh last year when I went to the Derby Welsh Weekend, and I have a vague idea that he lives in Birmingham. Would you know @jonathan_simcock_7? Are there others that make it along to Derby at times?

2 Likes

I have just started learning! I’ve already forgotten the first lesson.

2 Likes

‘Dwi eisiau dysgu siarad’ assuming you’re doing the northern version. (I would assume the southern one would be something like ‘rydw i’n hoffi’ rather than ‘dwi eisiau’.

I’m doing the South course and no written work yet!

1 Like

The Welsh learners community in Derby is one of the best of its kind here in the Midlands and indeed in England but it’s awkward for me to get to

Julie, if you’re learning Welsh I’d be happy to help you if you live in Brum.

1 Like

thanks, what level are you working on?

1 Like

Hello Julie. I learned Welsh in my early 20s (I’m 48 now) and I would say I was somewhere between intermediate and fluent, despite as I say being devoid of opportunities to use it. I’d love to try and teach it to somebody else based on my own experiences.

Most of my learning I did whilst living in Shropshire and in North Wales…plus a few months in Swansea too. However originally I’m a Brummie, born in Lady wood and raised in Smethwick.

1 Like

I don’t have anywhere at the moment to practice speaking so l like the idea of having some help, what had you in mind?

Would a cafe meetup do? Kings Heath have some good place, including a Coffee#1 which is Welsh owned!

Yes, I think that’s a great idea. I know where you mean and it’s easy for me to get to. I am free most days from 4pm but this coming week can’t do Monday or Wednesday.

Yes that’s ok. I’d like that. I work (shifts) in Kings Heath. I only joined this forum yesterday so still unsure as to whether or not you can send private messages here…

1 Like

Just click on the other person’s name, and you’ll see an option to message them :slight_smile:

1 Like

Dee, yes we gave a few from the Birmingham area, and indeed there is now a 5 strong Welsh Male Voice choir led by Andy Jones. We usually have 15 to 20 people at our monthly workshop. Croeso i bawb. www.derbywelshlearnerscircle.blogspot.com

2 Likes

Feel free to come over to the Derby monthly Welsh Workshops. We have people from Coventry and Stafford on a regular basis.

Hi Julie, I live in Birmingham and currently have a very informal welsh lesson every Wednesday by new street station. It’s really more of a chat around different topics etc. Would you be interested in joining?

Jess