Blade Runner in Welsh

Well, the Roy Batty speech anyway. I thought I’d have a go at translating one of the most memorable scenes from one of my favourite films. The bit that I wasn’t sure how to translate was ‘you people wouldn’t believe’. If I was just saying ‘you wouldn’t’ normally I’d probably use ‘fyddech chi ddim’ but the ‘you people’ is so emphasised in the speech. The nearest I could think of was adding ‘fel’. Any thoughts?

Dw i’n wedi gweld pethau fyddech pobl fel chi ddim yn credu. Llongau ymosod ar dân oddi ar ysgwydd Orion. Gwyliais i trawstiau-C glitter yn y tywyll ger y Glwyd Tannhäuser. Collir yr holl eiliadau hynny mewn amser, fel dagrau yn y glaw. Amser i farw.

I’ve seen things you people wouldn’t believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhäuser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain. Time to die.

3 Likes

I’m not too sure about the etiquette for addressing a law enforcement agent who is hunting down and killing you and your friends, but the “chi” form wouldn’t necessarily be needed in this situation. I’d always assumed “beams” as in “pelydrau” but thinking about it it could be either.

I also feel like Roy Batty would probably be a gog being hunted down by a hard bitten blade runner from C’dydd. I’ve had a go at a hopefully appropriate translation for that case.

Dwi 'di gweld pethau 'sa pobl fatha chdi ddim yn coelio, 'sdi. Llongau ymosod ar dân oddiar ysgwydd Orion. Wnes i watshio pelydrau C yn fflachio yn y tywyllwch wrth lydiart Tannhauser. Bydd yr holl eiliadau hynny ar goll mewn amser, fatha dagrau yn y glaw. Pryd i farw, de.

6 Likes