Booking: Tresaith Bootcamp, April 2015

I was thinking of bringing socks to knit, because then I don’t need to read a pattern :slight_smile:

And I’m in the middle of knitting cushion covers :smile:

Am in the middle of knitting a hand spun blanket… is there a theme developing here???

If I could catch a lift with you from Cardiff that would be amazing - am entirely happy to talk yarn along the way. (I had a conversation with members of Merched y Wawr about knitting over the weekend - I made the mistake of guessing that spinning translated as “spinio”… wrong answer!)

1 Like

And I’ll be travelling from Scotland down the M6, also able to offer a lift, though I’m uncertain at this stage if I will be travelling on Friday or Saturday, hopefully Friday, and it’s possible I might take you up on your kind offer to stay the night Helen.
I’ve knitted a few socks too, not for a couple of years due to a bad shoulder, but It sounds like Tresaith will be the place to start again.
Polly

Bwtcamp gweu!!

No problem in giving you a life, Steve - you can tell me all about spinning! (I’ve always been interested, but no time for learning a new skill just at the moment…)

Did the Merched y Wawr tell you what spinning should be yn Gymraeg?

nyddu, neu troi

For those really interested, Wonderwool is in Builth Wells on 25th April, the day the boot camp starts. Take no money, or hide the bank statements from your other half!

1 Like

Hmmm… Builth isn’t really on the way from Cardiff to Tresaith, is it. Damn.

(PS Thanks v. much for the vocab, Margaret!)

If you’re driving, it’s not too far out of the way. If someone else is driving it’s a big ask!

1 Like

Thanks very much Sara, that’s very much appreciated. Not sure I’m expert enough to tell you anything very useful about nyddu (neu troi) (thanks Margaret), but chatting’s always nice… but will that be in Welsh or English? Does Bootcamp start when you leave your house, or when you arrive in Tresaith?

English is Verboten once Iestyn gives the introduction to the bootcamp. You have an hour or two of whatever language you choose on arrival and then things get interesting!

For the avoidance of doubt - bootcamp starts after I’ve done the introduction and explanations, and we;ve all had a cup of coffee (insert own favourite makeable-at-the-ganolfan beverage here). Individual bootcampers may want to get into the swing of things before then, and I would certainly recommend that lifts happen in a relaxed as-much-Welsh-as-possble atmosphere, but everyone is welcome to speak English until I actually say that it is banned.

After that, of course, I have a cat o’ nine tails, an Iron Maiden, and a 7 year-old son to inflict on people (in increasing grades of severity).

Edited to add: Margaret - you beat me to it!

It’s my suspicion that bootcamp starts well ahead of the week, probably about now.
You will be thinking of all the things you want to say and probably rehearsing many of those in your mind.
The odd bit is when you get to bootcamp most of those will hide inexplicably and you end up saying lots of things you hadn’t considered, which when you go home feel like a taste of success.
A couple of weeks later all the things you forgot will pop back into place ready to be forgotten next time, (or is that only me).

Cheers J.P.

2 Likes

I think you summed it up perfectly, John.

Sounds like every interview I’ve had to do on Radio Cymru so far John :slight_smile:

1 Like

It’s funny how we try rehearsing in our minds before the first question is even asked, Dee. I’ve turned down a number of radio programmes over the past year for that very reason. Soon as I was asked I tried to pre-cover every angle in my head. Exhausting!..Yet, I know that if say, Taro’r Post rang me for an instant comment on live air I wouldn’t have a problem. I’d run with that. Bottom line until we’re asked the first question who really knows what that question might be…

1 Like

Back to the wool theme. I am now coming to the April Bootcamp. (thank you Iestyn for sorting that out) and will be coming via Wonderwool in Builth Wells. As I’m coming by car I will bring a spinning wheel and am willing to teach anyone who wants to learn to spin! If nobody wants to learn I’ll just sit in a corner and spin. If there is a lot of interest I can even bring two wheels.

1 Like

Gwych Margaret! That would be fun! Definitely.

Oooh, ooh, ooh!! Me, please!!

That would be brilliant!

Perhaps we could quickly knit up the results also. I could bring a selection of needles and help anyone that would like to join in but needs assistance? (Bear in mind: I have no idea how long it takes to spin - this may be utterly impractical.)