Booking: Tresaith Bootcamp July 2015

Hi Iestyn,

As this will be my first bootcamp I’m not sure of the details, like for instance, do we need to be self sufficient regarding bedding, towels etc.
Sorry if this information is available somewhere and I’ve missed it, or if I’m jumping the gun and you intend to send something out to us.
Regards

Bryan

Yes, ideally, as much as possible - although if that makes any serious problems for you, do sing out, and I’m sure @Iestyn will answer when he has a spare moment :sunny:

Hoping to poke my nose in at some point…

If anyone is reading this thread and wishing you had signed up for a Bootcamp, how about joining the one starting September 19? There’s still room!

2 Likes

Helo!

Not long now…Just received Iestyn’s e-mail, which was really helpful. Diolch!

I’m a bit nervous about getting to Tresaith in time, though. My plane will land in Birmingham at 10:25 and the earliest train to Aberystwyth is at 12 am. @jonmcleod : this means, I’ll be in Newtown around 2 pm. If it takes about 2 hours to get to Tresaith, we will only make it just in time, but if there’s any delay, we won’t…I don’t know if that’s ok with you. If not, well…then I don’t know. Maybe there are any other places I can go to by train that are easier to reach in a reasonable time? I’ll try to find out, but any suggestions are welcome :smile:

Is it easy to get to Aberystwyth from Tresaith? I planned two weeks near Machynlleth with my family after bootcamp, so I think I’d best take a bus to Aberystwyth, and then a train to Machynlleth?

And finally, @Iestyn could I borrow a duvet from the canolfan, please? Diolch!

Hwyl,
Bie

Hi Bie @bievanravenstyn,

I’m very happy still to give you a lift. It does sound a bit tight on time to get there before 4 pm if you get to Newtown at 2ish. I had a quick look at train times and if you were to get the 11.10 from Birmingham International (train station at the airport) then you could get to Shrewsbury by 12.20 and if I meet you there then we should have enough time to get to Tresaith by 4 pm. I’m not sure how long it will take you to get from your flight though bagage collection etc to the train, so those timings might be a bit ambitious. Perhaps @Iestyn could advise on whether it would be OK for us to be a bit behind schedule :slight_smile:.

Hwyl,

Jon

1 Like

Hi Jon,

Thank you very much :smile:

I’ve looked around a bit as well and I don’t know if I can make it to the 11.10 to Shrewsbury. It will be very tight I think, also because I have never been to Birmingham Airport and I’ll have to find out where the train station is, so everything will have to go very smoothly to be able to reach that train. It would be ideal though…What I could do, is try to reach that train and if I don’t make it, let you know. The next train to Shrewsbury is an hour later, but that means that you would have to wait for an hour if I don’t make it. It’s also the same train that’ll get me to Newtown, and I’ve calculated that we might actually win a couple of minutes if you pick me up in Newtown…(I hope you’re still following me :wink: )
So, I don’t know, we could say, try Shrewsbury anyway, you never know if I do make it, or be on the safe side and stop in Newtown.

Thanks again!

Hwyl,

Bie.

Hi Bie,

Dim problem. I did think that the 11.10 would be stretching what was possible. I think we should stick with the Newton plan. I’ll meet you there at 2 pm - we should just about be able to make 4 pm in Tresaith and I think that @Iestyn will be aware from these posts that we may be slightly delayed. I think there’s a way to do private messages through this forum, so maybe if we can exchange mobile numbers that will be a good idea.

Hwyl,

Jon

1 Like

If you click on the name and choose “Private message” in the window which pops up you’ll be able to send one. :slight_smile:

Happy mesaging. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thanks / diolch!

Jon

1 Like

OK - only just catching up with this, but Boocamps are just like the rest of the course - don’t worry!

Really - I’m fairly flexible on the starting time of bootcamp, though the later we start the introductions, the later we have dinner, which has all sorts of knock on effects (not least of which is me having to put kids in bed instead of eating with bootcampers etc). But balanced against bootcampers taking risks to get there on time, or getting fraught with trains and meetings, rather than arriving relaxed and ready to have fun, well, I’d far rather start late!

So, of course, do try to get there on time, but if you have to be late, then just let me know! This, of course, goes for everyone, although you will have to have as good a reason as Bie!

3 Likes

Iestyn, what is the exact address of the Tresaith Bootcamp?

Joan,

If this is for navigation purposes, this posting of Hewrop’s might be useful:

The following post by Dinas gives the postcode of the pub, which is quite near.

Hwyl,
Mike

1 Like

Diolch yn fawr iawn!

Just a quick reminder for anyone coming from outside of the EU - your coming on holiday (which you are) and not to study as it can course problems at immigration: like no entry.

3 Likes

Iestyn, I don’t know if you received my message earlier, but I was unable to bring bedding with me. Any chance this could be provided?

Sorry Joan - I saw it a couple of hours ago, but yes, I’ll bring you a duvet and sheets etc!

Are you ok for towels?

Iestyn

Diolch yn fawr😀 could use one bath towel… I’ve brought a small one with me. Faelu aros nawr!

1 Like

Had a fantastic time on July Bootcamp. The activities were first class as usual and many thanks to Iestyn and Cat for everything. Highlights for me were … practising ‘cig oen’ (Qi Gong) with the famous Pol, meeting Tommo in Tesco’s Aberteifi, the ‘computer says no’ bookshop in Llandysul, meeting an ancient Celt in a real celtic camp, learning to juggle with rice filled ballons (that we made), the Noson Llawen especially Jon and Brian’s compositions, the ‘cadeirio’ procession through Aberteifi (complete with flags, tin whistles, accordeon and bushsaw) and crowning of our own SSIW Bard Joan. etc and etc. After the week in Bootcamp, me and Brigitte went on the the eisteddfod in Meifod, It was great fun we arrived the same time as Nia Parry who parked next to us with her entourage of S4 people. We had a nice chat as we walked to the ground. Later Me and Brigitte went to visit Hedd Wyn’s farm ‘yr Ysgwrn’ where we got a private tour by Hedd’s nephew. On last evening (in Bala) got Brigitte to play cards with the regulars in Plas Coch pub. Neis iawn.

4 Likes

Hi John @maynard ,

Your great summary has brought it all back. Amazing how much we all did in a few days. I also thought the visit to the church in the former Italian POW camp was fascinating and really moving with all those stories from the wartime. The bootcamp was such a fantastic experience and such a great group of people. Sounds like you had ‘lot o hwyl’ at the Eisteddfod too. I’d really like to go “Yr Ysgwrn” sometime. Hope to catch up with you again soon. Perhaps for a game of Scrabble Cymraeg (with or without mutations!!)? I think I also just about learnt the rules of Uno by the end of the week - thanks for your patience with me on that!

1 Like