Books for beginners

What book is recommended when you first start learning? Is there a book that is similar to the sentences used on this course? I feel I learn better if I see how things are spelt and not just saying them. I know I can look up every word I hear in a dictionary, but just wondered if there was a book linked to this course??

As far as I know, the only written things directly related to this course are the Vocuabulary lists at the end of each lessons (I believe you’ve seen them, did you?)

I know this course is based on listening/repeating (there are a few previous threads explaining this on the Forum).
However there’s a book I can recommend because you can find a lot of words from SSiW, it’s very simple and adds a bit of vocabulary in every chapter, and repeats the words from previous chapters so it makes it way easier to memorize them.
And it comes with audio files or CDs/DVDs with the author reading it really slowly - which helps making sure to learn the correct pronunciation too.

It’s called Cadw Sŵn. I bought it directly from the author’s website:
http://www.cadwswn.com
(you can find other resellers on the website)

I’ve just finished reading it today and now I’ve bought two more from the same author, which can also bought in audio version to listen to it while you read - that I really enjoy!

I’ve just picked up a a book of short stories for learners.- Cysgod yn y coed by Lois Arnold - published by Gomer, who will have other titles www.gomer.co.uk

2 Likes

Fiction for Welsh Learners https://www.gomer.co.uk/books-for-adults/fiction-for-welsh-learners.html

there’s a dedicated thread The SSiW Welsh Book Club 📖 📚 👓

1 Like

Thank you very much everyone

1 Like

I’ve been reading Ffenestri and although I don’t know all the words I can understand the gist with a dictionary, I’ve also bought E-frindiau by the same author which seems very similar. It starts out easy and progresses, the Ffenestri book it set out into the levels they teach in the Welsh classes. It’s worth a try.

1 Like

I found this series invaluable…

https://parallel.cymru/amdani/

1 Like

Yes I have a couple of them graded as canolradd. Including one by Beca :grinning: About right for me to stretch me with loads of new vocab.

1 Like

But is there a way to understand what this grades mean?
I know the names are just like official courses of Welsh language, but…what if you don’t have any idea of what’s in each of those levels?

1 Like

Yes they are graded on the basis of the class type CBAC courses. Canolradd as the name suggests, is about half way through that system.

For me, the book that I am reading is a bit of a challenge, which is good. I’d say that its approximately the same level as the Advanced Content, although quite different and slightly less coloquial. There are plenty of new words, but most of them are included in the handy page by page glossary.

Personally I felt it best to wait untill I’d completed the main SSiW Challenges before getting into reading, but that’s just me as my first priority was to speak.

2 Likes

Thank you gisella. The vocabulary list at the end, you mean the list they put in English for us to translate?
Thank you for the book recommendation too. I started the 6 month course ages ago and only did a few weeks. I had a big blip. I’m going to get back on it now and start again.

2 Likes

Not sure the list you mention is the same. The one I’m talking about is under each audio file of the challenge if you use a computer/browser, and looks like this (goes on with more examples):

I love how this thread has come together and all the useful and informed responses to it - it’s what makes this forum so special. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Gisella thank you. I can’t believe I’ve missed all those. I go to the lessons through the app on my phone, because it saves me having to sift through all my emails. It doesn’t show the vocabulary list. Thank you, thank you, this is a great help :grin:

2 Likes

Oh you’re welcome. :slight_smile:
Actually if you’re using Android app, this is the way to get the vocabulary list.

With iPhone/iPad/iOS you can also access to the vocabulary in the app, from within the lesson, tapping on a bubble-like icon on the upper right too!

1 Like

I have just started reading E-ffrindiau and I am very encouraged by how much I can understand.
I am a North learner and have been doing SSiW and Duolingo since December.
What I would like to know is how do you know if a book is in North or South Welsh and does it matter. I dont want to confuse myself really - Duolingo can be confusion enough as you dont appear to be able to opt for a region.

1 Like

One simple way to tell if a book is north or south is to see when it refers to ‘him’ is it using ‘o’ or ‘e’ - ‘o’ for north, ‘e’ for south.

It usually doesn’t matter with books written specifically for learners, but as you get into contemporary novels, some authors write in a style that very much reflects the area their story is based in, so that can take a little getting used to.

1 Like