Breakthroughs: Does anybody have small successes/breakthroughs speaking Cymraeg they want to share?

Bought a copy of Ffenestri by Lois Arnold today. Read the first few of short stories (aimed at those studying lefel mynediad) in about half an hour and only had to look up a couple of words in each to make sense of it (plenty of unfamiliar words I could make an educated guess of from context)! Also, one of the teachers I work with is the Cymraeg coordinator and she gave me some instructions in Welsh today that I understood!

6 Likes

That is a seriously impressive achievement - huge congratulations! :star: :star2:

Sorry - the only honest reply I can give is that I can’t actually remember - just picked up on some stray comments here and there - social media somewhere, or a conversation with Catrin - and happen to remember the twin details of ‘second language learners at Ty Newydd’ and ‘pretty serious talent’. If I’d known at that point there were any SSiWers there, I’d have paid much more attention!..:slight_smile:

2 Likes

i have a similar problem in focussing on an individual voice in a crowd. I struggle enough in English, so it’s immensely harder in Cymraeg. I went to the ladies rugby international on Saturday and found myself surrounded by Welsh speaking Gogs (The accent difference is so obvious to me now!). However there was too much noise for me to hear properly. Nonetheless a gentleman said ‘Diolch’ to me, when I moved out of his way so he could get to the ty bach. i did sing along with the bits of Calon Lan I knew though.

This is what I was going to say. I have just had a tweet read out live on Radio Cymru. I am so thrilled, my Welsh can’t be that bad can it that it would be read out on the Radio as I wrote it?

6 Likes

Brilliant

I insist on bringing this to Teacher’s attention! @aran will feel a lovely warm glow of success!!! :heart:

I am part -time in Chingford. Used to be Essex before London ate it!

Ah, @Howard, @lulibelle anyone else in or very near Essex? Group coming along nicely!!

1 Like

“Ken Walsh” from K-Kabs used to do a very good folk music programme on Radio Cymru on Sundays, sadly axed last year. He has a lovely clear voice for radio, and was (relatively) easy to understand.
(“Sesiwn Fach” with Idris Morris Jones).

This wasn’t me, this was said to @Richmountart this morning. He spoke welsh in the wild in Harri’s Portuguese Restaurant in Porthaethwy. Not only did he do that but he was congratulated by a first language speaker on how good his Welsh was after only six months.

A brilliant achievement.

7 Likes

Many thanks and yes, Harri’s was a good experience. I think that that was a genuine, unscripted/unplanned conversation and at the point when the member of staff in the cafe mis-counted the total for the bill and sorting through the huge pile of loose change that I’d given him, the conversation was all still in Welsh except for the final half a sentence when my brain to mouth connection finally failed in Welsh!

6 Likes

@lulibelle do a search on Chelmsford - there seem to be a few possible contacts! Lwc dda!

I found this video online (of the old Sgorio theme as well!) that covers some football basics too

3 Likes

Slightly off-topic, a little anecdote from my last day in Wales – I had been briefly talking to another hotel guest (first-language Welsh speaker) at breakfast, a bit in Welsh and a bit in English, and she had mentioned that Welsh is difficult to understand, especially outside of situations where the number of reasonable responses is limited.

Then a bit later, she was talking to the person taking orders for warm breakfast items (toast and/or eggs?) in Welsh, and then decided on Jỳst tost, plĂźs (and on being asked, gwyn neu frown?, “white or brown?”), brown.

I think most English speakers would have understood that bit of Welsh :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Well recently i had an interview for a job in wales. Not a welsh language post obviously but nevertheless in a semi welsh speaking area

So class comes in at start of lesson

P’nawn da pawb, sut dach chi?
Da iawn diolch
Iawn. Dewch i ni ddechrau.

And back to english :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Diolch @philipnewton, it gives me an excellent opportunity! @aran hearing what appears in Philip’s post, I would have thought. “Oh, Wenglish again!” Does, Jỳst tost, plĂźs, gwyn neu frown? brown
Count as Welsh?

Of course it does.

2 Likes

That’s me told! But, honest, most English speakers would not realise that!
“Everybody round here speaks English!” they would say!!

Yes but many english speakers think words are theirs when in truth english borrows extensively. Pannini and a latte anyone? or pain au chocalat? :wink: ooops, deja vu! et cetera.

2 Likes

Well as a small success, I’m understanding so much more on Radio Cymru now, not in detail but as in ‘getting the gist’ or the overall feel for a piece, and some bits on the radio I’m understanding much more of, a bit with Tommo this afternoon when he phoned someone up to talk about their upcoming wedding, I understood almost all of it. (In fact it could have been used as a listening exercise on SSiW!)

8 Likes

Yeah and those Frenchies stole “entrepreneur” from us as well
 :wink:

3 Likes