Breakthroughs: Does anybody have small successes/breakthroughs speaking Cymraeg they want to share?

Thank you!

2 Likes

Yesterday I was on my way back from a fantastic day’s walk with Cymdeithas Edward Llwyd (my first, but definitely not my last), when I passed the house of the woman I bought my house from. She was in the garden so I stopped to say hello. She’s a first language Welsh speaker and has always been very supportive of my learning Welsh, but last time we spoke, which was nearly a year ago, I could only manage a few sentences and it was obvious that not only could I not understand much of what she said, she couldn’t understand a fair few of my mangled phrases. Yesterday, I greeted her in Welsh and we sat and chatted over a cup of tea using no English at all! It was wonderful, and I think we were both equally surprised and delighted.

It’s probably not a breakthrough at all, but a mark of very gradual progress (and the fact that I’d stayed in Welsh all day, which I haven’t done since bootcamp last July), but I’d convinced myself recently that I wasn’t improving since I stopped going to lessons this time last year. Yesterday was one of those periodic measuring points where I suddenly realised that I am moving forward all the time, and all the Skypes and meet ups with the amazing people I’ve met through SSIW and Ffrindiaith have had a huge and invaluable impact on my ability to speak and to understand. I’ve still a very long way to go, but the whole day yesterday was a massive boost, and today I’m only going to think about how far I’ve come since Course 1, lesson 1. You are all brilliant and shining people!

18 Likes

Amazing!! Well done! How was Cymdeithas Edward Llwyd? Where did you go?

2 Likes

We went from Pennal down to near Dyfi Junction and round in a loop in a gentle stroll. It’s a nice way to spend a day - Welsh all around you, and lots of talk with friendly people, but it’s not as intense as sitting around a table, so your brain gets a rest while it looks at a cow or a beautiful view. I still hit the occasional wall when I couldn’t even remember simple things like my name, or where I was born, but it was nice pushing through that, which doesn’t always happen when you only talk for an hour. I highly recommend it for anyone who hasn’t been.

5 Likes

Gwych - llongyfarchiadau mawr iawn!

I’m sure that will have meant a huge amount to her - knowing that she sold to someone who wanted to become a real part of the community… :star: :star2:

4 Likes

I strongly get that impression, which I think is a sad reflection of how much things have changed in the area for someone who was always at the heart of a Welsh-speaking community. It’s a house that means a lot to her, too, and I know it hurt to see it go out of the family. I feel responsible and lucky in equal measure.

5 Likes

Add some pride to that mix, too - for anyone in her situation, it is a complicated thing to agree to sell to someone who doesn’t speak Welsh - and the pleasure of seeing them become a Welsh speaker can be something that stays with you for ever… :slight_smile:

4 Likes

That is a brilliant result, Isata - I knwo how much this means to you!

I’m really glad that your bwtcamp pushed you on so nicely, and that you’ve done the work since to really move your Welsh on a few notches.

Interesting what you say about your breakthrough not being a real breakthrough, though. It’s the classic “overnight success” story that took 5 years of hard graft.

Da iawn, a llongyfarchiadau.

4 Likes

Diolch, Iestyn, a diolch o galon to you and Cat for the splendid bootcamp. I’m feeling a bit embarrassed about the ‘hard graft’ though - I’ve only met up with friends and enjoyed myself!

4 Likes

That explains it then! You should have put in hours of boring stuff like reading and writing exercises, and beating yourself about your slow progress as well. You’d be nowhere near where you are now if you’d done that extra work!

Three cheers for accelerative enjoyment!

8 Likes

And all you have to say is “Uh huh, Uh huh”’ hey Bronwen.

1 Like

I’ve been noticing lately that my brain seems to default to Welsh when I’m confused about which language to use :blush:

We have guests over from Italy at the moment. Would be a good opportunity for me to practice my Italian, but I’ve been asked to help one of them practice speaking English. The past few days have been pretty confusing! I’ve been trying but failing to speak Finnish and Italian with my mother, Italian with my Italian friend, English with that friend’s mother, Finnish and English with a Finnish friend and Spanish to both the Italian friends. I don’t have trouble switching between languages but remembering who I’m supposed to speak what with is difficult.

At the airport we start in Italian to greet each other, then talk about switching to English. I ask, still in Italian, if she would like to switch now. She says “Yes” in English, to which I respond with “Iawn”. Cymraeg. They look at me in confusion and I realise I have just said it in Welsh :smile:

I’ve also started sentences in Welsh a few times, and said “da iawn” to the friend practicing English…

I think Welsh has started feeling more natural than Italian… That feels weird! I might soon speak Welsh better than I speak my native language :sweat_smile:

9 Likes

It happens when you have more than two lamguages, or even more than one. In my family I always know my husband’s name and my son’s, and rarely confuse the two. Add even one more male relative to the room and there’s little chance I’ll get it right.

3 Likes

You’re a multilingual muddle! Say that five times fast, as my kids would say!

1 Like

I am afraid my worst sin of that sort was confusing the name of a friend with that of my cat!!

1 Like

For Maureen and me, the presence of one more mammal is sufficient to have us run through the entire gamut of family names. I have often been called “Oscar” by my loving wife of 39 years. (Oscar is my son’s dog - rather a handsome beast if I say so myself :smile:)

9 Likes

Not sure if I posted this here already (if I did, just ignore this post) and this isn’t a huge breakthrough in speaking but a minor breakthrough in understanding:

I’m finding that something has clicked in my brain (Broca? Wernicke?) and I’m starting to be able to understand spoken Welsh…specifically conversations I listen to (i.e. Pobol y Cwm)…in the same way I understand spoken English. Specifically, my brain isn’t trying to grab and parse every single word in a sentence; it’s understanding the phrase as a whole.

Additionally, my brain is just beginning to be able to pick up the meaning of an unknown word based on the surrounding ones. Adjectives and adverbs are the easiest (i.e. yn cymwys ac yn y blaen) followed by nouns for which there’s a lot of background info (Colin and Gaynor were discussing a funeral so when Colin used the word arch my brain filled in coffin)

(Side note for @Iestyn and @Cat: An application for a work program asked for a ‘difficult problem you had to solve and how’ and I wrote in the experience at Bootcamp…specifically about having to get medication I’d forgotten in the States. Got accepted, so it worked!)

10 Likes

That’s a very exciting point for you to have reached… :star: :star2:

3 Likes

Doing formal things in Welsh is not for the faint hearted becuase most of the time they use formal language. Even native speakers will often choose to have things like bank statments in English! Respect!

Isn;t it amazing how major leaps of development, crossing the crest of a tough mountain, leaping an almost world-record high jump, seem like “minor breakthroughs” because they “should have happened before” or “other people can do this already”.

That is brilliant, and a massive, massive step in your Welsh speaking life. That means that you can now understand stuff without reverting to English. You no longer need your mother tongue to understand Welsh. On other words, Welsh is now an independent language in your brain.

Did I mention that it was quite a big step, actually?!!!

And glad to know that as well as amazing the residents of Llandysul, you’ve got some American mileage out of your medication issue!

6 Likes