Breakthroughs: Does anybody have small successes/breakthroughs speaking Cymraeg they want to share?

Amazing achievement , da iawn ! I find speaking to a stranger in Welsh over the phone one of the hardest things to do

4 Likes

I should have realised it could get harder still :blush: Like, being in ASDA near the menā€™s socks and getting an unexpected phone call from a Caernarfon number and having all of about ten seconds to put on my Welsh head. Estate Agent calling back of course. Actually the second Estate Agent that I rang yesterday!

Many (most?) people in this situation might have switched to Englsih - and I fully understand the logic of doing so, But I had my balchder (pride) as a (newish) Welsh Speaker so I could not ā€œblow my coverā€ by changing back after having introduced myself in Welsh in the first place. So I handled the call in Welsh (in the menā€™s socks area in ASDA in Bolton where they definitely speak English - the Lancashire flavour of English at that). I think I managed to explain the appointments I already arranged and the fact I am free the rest of the day of those appointments.

A few more goes at this and it may even start to feel normal, hopefully :smile:

14 Likes

A small breakthrough but nice. I am finding myself joining in with small-talk/greetings, rather than just freezing.

Also, on the weekend, a Welsh speaking friend started to flow into some real stuff about a mutual friend not being too well. She noticed that I was having to concentrate, so translated into English. I then heard myself saying ā€œDwiā€™n deall; Dwiā€™n siarad tipyn bachā€ (I understand; I speak a little bit) and then the conversation changed back to Welsh.

Onwards and upwards, as they say.

12 Likes

These are some BIG wins youā€™re getting under your belt now, Bob :star: :star2:

Thatā€™s a HUGE step, John - it doesnā€™t take many of those to normalise using Welsh with a certain person, so donā€™t underestimate the value and importance of what you managed thereā€¦ :star: :star2:

3 Likes

Well done, awesome!

Great day in Y Fro Gymraeg on Monday. I had quite a few Welsh conversations :smile:

I ā€¦

Viewed 4 houses around Penygroes - all in Welsh.

Enjoyed a cup of tea at Antur Waunfawr - a charitable venture that gives work opportunities to people with mental disabilities. The lady who served me tea initially spoke a mixture of English and Welsh, but soon switched to Welsh-only once she realised I was sticking to Welsh.

Spoke to a couple parked on a high road overlooking Llanberis and Llyn Padarn lake, about alternative routes on foot. Again, one of the couple started with English, but revealed himself as a true local Welsh speaker once he saw that I was not switching to English myself. I got a good earful of high-speed local history and general information. All very interesting.

Found a Post Office which was amazingly still operating in a small village (Brynrefail) and paid one of my bills.

Ordered Fish and Chips (in Welsh of course) from a chippy with an English sounding name in Llanberis. Despite the name, service in Welsh was impeccable.

Had a quick drink in a local tavern whose name means ā€œOnion Headā€. People who know the area will know where I mean. Locals with tales to tell ā€¦

And back ā€œhomeā€ to Bolton, Lancs - via the Saith Seren in Wrecsam of course. Regular Monday night chat group and lots to recount about my day in Gwynedd.

And now itā€™s the early hours of Wednesday. Off to bed for me because I will be back ā€œtonightā€ i.e. Wednesday evening for more house viewing back in Penygroes. Feeling more like ā€œadreā€ (home) every time ā€¦

13 Likes

Incredible! Definitely not SMALL successes!! Ginormous ones! :elephant: sized!! So, my favouriteā€¦

3 Likes

Emilia ydw i. I would like to share my recent success with you. I just started my Cymraeg journey with SSI W yesterday. My actual Cymraeg journey is already lasting from about a year, but Iā€™m still a complete beginner. I am blind and it was pretty hard for me to find fully accessible resources to learn. But I was feeling more and more desperate, because learning yr iaith Cymraeg was always my big dream and Iā€™m determinate to make it come true. And, it looks like Say SOmething In Welsh is working for me, yay! Iā€™m rally thrilled! :slight_smile: I am also extremely happy that I joined this community and that there are so many people that love Welsh language too. That means a lot to me, because I donā€™t know such people yet. You all probably know how it is when you tell the people that youā€™re learning Welsh, or even at least trying and people are looking at you as if you were crazy. :smiley: I donā€™t care about it completely, but itā€™s always nice to meet other people who are crazy in the same way as you. :slight_smile:
Emilia o wlad Pwyl.

16 Likes

Croeso! welcome to the Forum! Where are you? Are there Welsh speakers near you?

Emilia tells us she is from Gwlad Pwyl / Poland

1 Like

Maeā€™n ddrwg gen i! Lack of observation! @tatjana might be a good person to advise, because she knows what it like to learn from really long distance aind some difficulties! Also she is wonderfully helpful!

1 Like

Thank you @henddraig. :slight_smile:

Croeso Emilia!

Iā€™m glad youā€™re enjoying learning with SSiW and that you joined our forum. As it seams just right now you donā€™t need particular advise and youā€™re doing just fine. As long as youā€™re happy with your progress and itā€™s fun to learn youā€™ll do just great. There surely will be some difficult times and problems on the way (3 levels to go) but when it comes weā€™re all happy to help on here. Of course weā€™d be extreamly happy if youā€™d just fly through the course without any downs and obstacles and we (well I surely can say this in the name of all of us) wish this will be one big happy journey for you.

Iā€™m from Slovenia, so one more Slavic ā€œas crazy as youā€ person learning Welsh from the distance but despite I donā€™t find any Welsh speakers here Iā€™m doing just fine. We also have one more thing (almost) in common. Well I am not blind but donā€™t see well also so I can perfectly understand your frustration in finding the perfectly suitable course for you. Congrats to come here and finally properly begin. If youā€™ll fly with such momentum you can perfectly be great Welsh speaker in some months or letā€™s say a year or so.

Good luck and if any help is needed regarding learning weā€™re all here to help.

Hwyl!
Tatjana :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Thanks, diolch yn fawr @tatjana and now @jackie-ysbiwr you will realise why I thoughtn of our Slovenian friend. I have a question for you. Why did you choose to be Jackie when you have a lovely name like Emilia? My name is actually Jacqueline (Jackie) wjich I do not like. As I am an old dragon, I chose henddraig! So you chose the name I do not like and cannot write in the Welsh alphabet! It is ironic!

1 Like

and cannot write in the Welsh alphabet!

You and all my fellow Joneses can take comfort from the fact that ā€œjā€ is often now included in the alphabet between ā€œiā€ and ā€œlā€. The latest, most pleasing confirmation of this came when I saw it on my granddaughterā€™s Welsh medium classroom wall. :smile:

2 Likes

Iā€™ve heard that ā€œjā€ once was a part of the Welsh alphabet and then somehow disappeared from it however Iā€™ve noticed that it returns in it again.

Iā€™m using it with ā€œjystā€ meaning ā€œjustā€ and no one complains about that.

2 Likes

Oh true, and I am old fashioned, although from what Tatjana says, perhaps not so very old fashioned, However my actual name contains a ā€˜Qā€™ which is certainly not in the Welsh alphabet!

1 Like

In that case how do we spell the loan word ā€œquiteā€? I guess it must be cweit.

1 Like

Bob! Why didnā€™t you say you were in our neck of the woods? Come and have a panad tro nesaf :slight_smile:

2 Likes

A very warm welcome to the forum, Emilia - Iā€™m delighted to hear that the course is going well for you so farā€¦ :slight_smile:

1 Like

@jackie-ysbiwr Welcome, Emilia! Glad that SSiW seems to be working for you, and glad that you came on to the forum to tell us your story. We are all happy to help if you have any questions along the way.

Iā€™m in the US and am another crazy person learning on my own, just for fun :smile:

4 Likes