Breakthroughs: Does anybody have small successes/breakthroughs speaking Cymraeg they want to share?

That’s exciting!

Where are you going in South Wales?

Depending where youbare, you may have some difficulty meetng anyone over 16 who knows any Welsh at all!

2 Likes

My view and experience is much more positive than this. Wherever you go in Wales, @michellefecio, you will have little difficulty finding people to talk to in Welsh especially with encouragement and suggestions from this forum. If you are near Aberystwyth, I and many others, I’m sure, will be delighted to meet and chat.

5 Likes

Excellent, that’ll be a superb opportunity, as Huw says… :slight_smile:

3 Likes

As @hewrop and @aran say there are plenty on here to help. Imagine, if there are 3 in upstate New York there are bound to be scores anywhere in South Wales (like right here in Cardiff).

3 Likes

I’ll be spending most of the time around Cardiff, but I’m hoping to have a day to get out to see a little of Carmarthen and Swansea.

1 Like

That sounds great! There are some really nice places in Cardiff to practice your Welsh. It’s a predominantly English speaking area so please don’t be disappointed by that.

Closer to the time give me a shout and I can give you some recommendations. If Emma and I are around we’d be happy to meet you for a drink. I’m sure I could rope a few others in too (@Mihil @sarapeacock @Y_Ddraig_Las @netmouse)

If you head to Sir Gâr (Carmarthenshire) you’ll find a lot more Welsh. Llandeilo, Llanymddyfri etc and further a long the Teifi to Llandysul, Cenarth and Aberteifi - all really great places to practice your Welsh.

3 Likes

I’m in Carmarthenshire. And there are lots of Cymraeg speakers there.

2 Likes

I’ve been to Cardiff once before and I was so preoccupied by the bilingual signs that I hardly even noticed what people were speaking. I did love Llaeth a Siwgr, and that was really the only place I heard much Welsh. That would be great to meet up with some people, I will definitely let you know when it’s closer in time. Diolch to everyone for all the helpful advice and suggestions, I’m very much looking forward to exploring a bit of west Wales now. I wish I had time to head up farther north as well, but it will probably be too short of a trip for that.

4 Likes

Drink? I’m in! aww not until May. Nonetheless I look forward to it. [quote=“michellefecio, post:526, topic:6708”]
a little of Carmarthen and Swansea.
[/quote]

Which are both easy to get to from Cardiff!

1 Like

I live in Llandysul which is only a bit further on than Carmarthen. Very happy to meet up with you when you’re here.

Dee

1 Like

Owain Gwynn came to Welsh Class!

. . and I actually understood him (sort of)!

I didn’t absolutely follow all of it, but I was picking out verbs and nouns that I knew, and sometimes my classmate’s answer or question would fill me in. I managed a few questions and answers too, though I admit that most of my brainpower was just trying to keep up.

I even managed to apologize for being late due to subway delays (ugh), in Welsh!

10 Likes

Da iawn ti!

3 Likes

That sounds like a terrific achievement - well done you! :star: :star2:

Not my breakthrough, but my nearly-5-year-old granddaughter’s.

She made her stage debut last night. She was angelic - the clues were in the long, white dress, the halo head band and the golden sparkly wings protruding from her back. When she delivered her line “peidiwch ag ofni” so perfectly, it took all of tadcu’s strength of control NOT to stand up and shout “encore/brava/eto” - much to the relief of mammy, mamgu, hen-mamgu and the star herself. :laughing:

17 Likes

Am hyfryd… :star: :star2:

2 Likes

O’n i’n gwylio Wil ac Aeron a’r Inca ac wnes i sylweddoli, ar y cychwyn y rhaglen, pan oeddan nhw’n siarad efo’r pobl lleol oeddan nhw’n defnyddio Saesneg serch nad ydyn nhw ddim yn siarad Saesneg. Oedd hynna’n ddiddorol oherwydd tasan nhw ddim yn mynd i fod yn cael eu deall. Felly pam nad siarad Cymraeg? Erbyn y diwedd y rhaglen, ar ôl iddyn nhw fynd i’r cefn gwlad, oeddan nhw’n siarad Cymraeg efo phawb. Felly, dw i’n meddwl a naethon nhw sylweddoli na doedd o ddim yn bwysig pa iaith oeddan nhw siarad doedd neb yn mynd i’w deall. Ond oedd o’n ddiddorol a oeddan nhw’n defnyddio Saesneg. Mae’n rhaid mai rhywbeth seicolegol yn digwydd - Cyfarfod efo rhywun di-Gymraeg felly siarad Saesneg.

3 Likes

Sorry wrong thread!!

1 Like

I’m absolutely sure that this qualifies you to drive on both sides of the road now…

( only jocan, wrth gwrs!)

Bendigedig!
When I started this thread of small successes I never dreamed it would be such a big success!
A success I’m glad to report is that i am a full Level further on (about 29 challenges) than i was a year ago.
Diolch o galon!

11 Likes