Breakthroughs: Does anybody have small successes/breakthroughs speaking Cymraeg they want to share?

It’s such a little thing, but it made me so happy! I’ve resolved to no longer say “thank you” but “diolch” now in public as I live in north Wales. The other day, I said my customary “diolch” to the bus driver as I was alighting and he replied “ti’n croeso.” I was so pleased that I’d had a spontaneous exchange in Welsh, completely naturally, and that the man recognized and affirmed my speaking Welsh!

15 Likes

Yes, I’m trying that as well. I live near Swansea and work in Wales & England. I also give full more involved conversations a go if I think that the person I’m talking to is Welsh speaking.

I think that this is my best way of improving my Welsh, which I feel so far is still too basic (mostly in terms of understanding in the wild).

I don’t think it’s speed now (after the listening practices) as much as accent and vocabulary.

Last night/this morning at 05:00 (OK so I’d been up all day and night) I was talking to a colleague from Llambed. I have to say that I was slow to understand the actual words that he was saying even though I heard them all. Having said that, he then changed into English, and I wasn’t any better off. It was all ok, but on a sort of time delay.

I’m hoping it is just an accent exposure thing as I’m ok with Radio and TV.

Onwards and upwards - I’ll be in Llanelli this evening, so will be looking forward to see what happens. :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Llongyfarchiadau. I’m a North Walian too … unfortunately we’re very close to Chester and the Wirral so find that Welsh is in short supply.
Whereabouts do you live - I’m in Holywell (Treffynnon)

1 Like

My wife Lara is a SSIWer. She’s incredibly quiet around these parts but a fair few of you will have met her from Clonc-edigion or other SSIW meetups.

Next week she starts working for Siop Y Pethe In Aberystwyth, which is a Welsh language book/craft/clothing/homeware/everything shop.

A great achievement considering Lara couldn’t speak barely a word of Welsh when we started in Dec 2016.

Full interview and everything all in Welsh!

20 Likes

Llongyfarchiadau to Lara.:star:
Maybe I can see her when and have a little chat when I’ll be in Aberystwyth in May.

2 Likes

Hi Brigitte

Indeed - let us know when you’re here and I’ll try and give you some shift times etc. I think she’s going to be doing about 2-3 days a week atm

1 Like

That’s so cool! I’m very jealous! I wish I could work through Welsh every day.

3 Likes

Me too!!

I’ve got two friends in work who speak Welsh but if they’re off I’m screwed!

2 Likes

That’s an awesome achievement :grinning:

1 Like

I’ll be in Aberystwyth only Friday 10.May. BTW I was very sorry to read, that Y Cwps was closed. Can you recommend another pub where Welsh is spoken?

Hi Brigitte.

Don’t write Y Cwps off yet… I’ll say nothing…yet.

You’ll find a lot of pubs in Aber have a fair smattering of Welsh speakers but generally they’re a bit shy.

Y Hen Lew Du is the best option for a Welsh speaking experience at present and you’ll meet a varied mix of people there!

Scholars is very good also as most of Y Cwps regulars have moved into Scholars making it a bit of an honourary Welsh pub, there’s usually a bit of a Welsh corner going on most nights.

Hopefully maybe we may have some Cwps news by the time you’re around…

4 Likes

Llongyfarchiadau mawrion mawr i Lara! :star: :star2: :stars:

1 Like

To Lara:-

2 Likes

Waw! Archerddog, @Bob :star:️ Wyt ti fynd i symud i’r ardal Caernarfon?
When I started house-hunting in Gwynedd and Ynys Môn some people were very disparaging about Caernarfon and its people. I’ve been here since 2004 and Cofis are lovely!

1 Like

I guess this goes here:

Not my breakthrough and not a small one either.

About a week ago someone at work told me he was starting the 6 month course (mentioned it elsewhere).

He came up to me earlier this week and said:

Dw i moyn siarad gyda ti

I was a little bit scared at first and then he went on to ask, in Welsh, how to use the slack board and if I use it. He them switched back to English but I was so impressed!! Top notch Welsh!! Felly da iawn Andrew!

11 Likes

:smiley: :star: :star2:

I was thinking; “uh oh, what have I done now…”

3 Likes

Another success! On St. David’s day I went into the Welsh bookshop and was able to siarad Cymraeg efo’r dynnas (speak Welsh with the woman) and be understood! I was looking at a little children’s book and said, “Dw i ddim yn gwbod sut i darllen yn y Gymraeg,” and she laughed. She said my Welsh was “yn dda iawn”! My first real Welsh exchange in the wild!

13 Likes

Huge, huge step forwards! :star2:

1 Like

I remember my first conversation in a Welsh bookshop and I felt like you did! Well done!!

3 Likes