Breakthroughs: Does anybody have small successes/breakthroughs speaking Cymraeg they want to share?

Llongyfyrchiadau. :sparkler::sparkler:
What a superb achieivement.

I get an adrenalin rush just from reading about it, @jenny-5! Youā€™re very brave!

Mine is not as outstanding but Iā€™m happy anyway :slight_smile: I remember reading posts from people who started to speak Welsh before realizing it. I didnā€™t think it would happen to me anytime soon but Iā€™m at the end of Level 1 and itā€™s been happening the whole week now!

See, I do the challenges in the car on my way to work and itā€™s safe because if the road needs more of my attention I just tune out the challenge for a few seconds. But this week has been a little crazy so far (I suppose some people have forgotten over the holidays how to drive) so it happens more often that I need to focus on the road. And - ta-da! - some of the times I blubbered out the correct Welsh translation without thinking about it at all! Itā€™s an exhiliarating feeling and Iā€™m looking forward to experiencing it more often.

7 Likes

Well done, Irina! Maybe itā€™s time we graduated from swapping postcards to chatting???

1 Like

Iā€™d love to! Weā€™ll just have to figure out the time (I see youā€™re here but Iā€™m at work at the moment :see_no_evil:).

Iā€™m retired, so very flexible. Let me know when you feel like a chat!

1 Like

Thatā€™s fantastic to hear @Irina and itā€™s these kind of experiences that boost your confidence and help you realise it is all going in and being processed and that you CAN siarad Cymraeg.

2 Likes

On a brief stop at Machynlleth last Saurday I found myself in MOMA (the Museum of Modern Art), drawn in by some of the amazing Creaduriaid y Mabinogi exhibition visible through their window. And so chuffed - as when I said to the lady on the front desk how pleased I was about the words with the displays being in Welsh and English, because I was learning Welsh (all said in English), she promptly asked how long Iā€™d been learning in Welsh , and we then had a lovely Welsh chat. Covering quite a range of topics! And when I reappeared in her room we continued to speak mostly in Welsh. Made my day :slight_smile:

(The exhibition that drew me in has now finished in Machynlleth - but would recommend the fauxidermy creatures if you get a chance to see them elsewhere).

5 Likes

Helo Ffrindiau,

This is a non-speaking breakthrough, but big accomplishment for meā€¦ just finished my last course assignment for the UWTSD M.A. Celtic Studies. OK, I still have a dissertation to write, but have some ideas for a topic if the uni will consider it: ā€˜Pilgrim in a foreign landā€™. In it, I would love to document the journey folk here have been taking into what may have started as feeling quite foreignā€¦ the mysteries of learning Welsh, and with it a deeper connection with what now feels like ā€˜homeā€™ not a foreign land.

For those of you who donā€™t recognize me, or my storyā€¦ being deaf/hard-of-hearing, and living in Vancouver, posed certain challenges, but with all the help and encouragement here, I found the means to follow my dream. Into the bargain, I have met and made some wonderful friends. OK, I need to continue working on the SSiW but did finish Level Three, then took ā€˜time outā€™ for a couple of months to study and travel. That was deliberate.

Being at that ā€˜bucket listā€™ stage in life, my husband wants to go hiking in the Atacama Desert next, so SSiSpanish here I come. Managed 7 lessons today and my brain hurts, but heyā€¦ this SSi approach is brilliant and really works. Well done folks, and thank you!

Hwyl,
Mari

7 Likes

Well done you, Mari. LLongyfarchiadau :grinning::sparkler: :clap:

2 Likes

Diolch yn fawr iawn!

Seven lessons in one day-thatā€™s amazing @MarilynHames. Iā€™m not surprised your brain hurts! Well done you, just brilliant!

3 Likes

Thank you so much Jenny,

I got the idea from reading about the SSiW intensive courses, and since we have a lot of snow for Vancouver and even more forecast, I thoughtā€¦ ā€˜Why not try 3-4 days of intensive study?ā€™

This morning I managed another two lessons plus an acquafit class, so now I am sufficiently worn out to carry on with another few lessons this afternoon. To prevent myself hitting the pause button, I am knitting my husband a looong, warm scarf, so my hands are tied up :slightly_smiling_face:

Muchas gracias,
Mari

4 Likes

Our lovely friend @Novem once did 35 SSI Spanish lessons in one weekend, and @aran did the same sort of thing with Manx. Neither of them died, and I expect they were both exhausted at the end of the process, but lots of lessons in one day is obviously do-able. Brain ache, of course.

4 Likes

Iā€™ve got a feeling Novem topped out at 50 in two days - there was definitely some playing lessons at x1.2 speed going onā€¦ :scream:

1 Like

Llongyfarchiadau mawr iawn i ti Mari! :star: :star2:

1 Like

Diolch yn fawr iawn Aran,

But whatā€™s this about someone doing 50 lessons in a couple of days? Thatā€™s 25 a day, at 30 mins + a lessonā€¦ no time to pour a libation to the language gods even :beer:

2 Likes

Sometimes I feel thatā€™s the only way Iā€™ll manage to get them done. I have more time soon. But sone lessons tire your brain out

2 Likes

I happened to find a Ā£40 return flight Turin-Bristol, and decided to go for it to check how my Welsh is doing one year after my first trip, and one year and a half after starting SSiW.

Oh itā€™s all soooo much easier now. I still stumble, but my brain doesnā€™t burn any more! :sweat_smile:
Everybody ask me how long have I been living in Wales and seem shocked when I say I donā€™t.

Then in Cardigan I spoke to the Awen Teifi bookshop owner and he gave me this :grin::

p.s. I had been in a very dog-friendly cafƩ, the day before! :rofl:

16 Likes

@gisella-albertini, I would have expected nothing less. We are so often our own worst critics.

1 Like

Got a parking ticket in Newport (west wales) and managed to fumble my way through paying it online through Welsh and not using a dictionary. Also switching my council tax and that to welsh now :slight_smile:

3 Likes