Brecon learners

Hi, I’m at the stage where I need to find someone to swap sentences with. I live near Brecon and it would be great to find some local fellow learners to meet up with and practise with.

1 Like

Hi @louiset641

I’m from Brecon originally - living in Yorkshire at the moment!..but I have been trying find out from my sister who still lives there if she knows of anything. The trouble is she spends most of her time in Cardiff at the moment and is there now …but she said she would see if she could find out about a get together.

Howeveeeer, :wink: which side of Brecon are you on as I notice that there is something of a get together in Merthyr with SSIWers going - see this post here here

@nia.llywelyn and @Andrea may be going.

There is the Slack group too ( or Skype) - are you set up on Slack?

Rich :slight_smile:

Hi Rich
Thanks for replying. I’m about 45 mins from MT. I am thinking of going to the MT meet up already, it’s the closest one I’ve found.

Do you mean there is a Slack group for Brecon?

Louise

1 Like

Hi Louise,

Yes it sounds like it would be worth a trip - I go to the Yorkshire meet up in Leeds once a month - and it’s a great opportunity to get together with people who are going through the same learning process as you and in turn find out about other things you can do…

I was meaning Slack in general rather than a specific group for Brecon - Slack and Skype etc are a great way of hooking up to other learners which sidelines where they are ! I don’t know if you’ve tried them yet?

Hi Louise - There’s a facebook group https://www.facebook.com/groups/1428492340722079/ if you’re on there. There are also a few events organised by Menter Brycheiniog and the Welsh for Adults folks at Aberystwyh.
https://www.facebook.com/MBrycheiniog/
https://www.facebook.com/cioCeredigionPowys/

1 Like

Thanks Rob - I’ll look them up!

1 Like

Hi -Dwi’n byw yn y Fenni a dod o Ferthyr a mynd i’i lleoedd 'na bob hyn a hyn.
I m in Abergavenny and get to Brecon (and Merthyr) every now and then.
If you d like to meet up/Skype let me know. Huw

1 Like

…thanks @robbruce - you beat me to it - really useful.

I have joined the Facebook group for good measure.

I have just had a lovely exchange in Welsh on messenger with Malcolm Llewelyn who runs a group in the Tap at 11 every Friday! Result.

Diolch I @Deborah-SSi as ever for facilitating everything. Malcolm knows about SSIW / says it’s good!..so it could be published as a potential meeting? - not sure if the rules on that! :smile:

I have said you might be in touch…

Wahey! - the Brecon, Abergavenny, Merthyr region is rocking and rolling all of a sudden… :smile: !

( Currently I’m in Yorkshire at the moment but we won’t let that get in the way )…

I’m on slack and my Skype name is Richard_bowering1 ( Harrogate ).

Let me know which/ when would be good.

All I need is for an SSiWer who goes regularly to be the Contact Person. We need that so that we can always keep up-to-date with the group, in case it changes its meeting time etc. If someone’s willing to be that person, I can add it to the end of the newsletter.

1 Like

I see. That makes sense.

I’ve joined the Brecon group and have had a message from Malcolm too. Looks like I’ll be at the Tap on Fridays then! Very happy. Thanks everyone. I am on Skype but my broadband is so pathetic that it’s very frustrating to try to video message anyone. Happy to talk though. Just message me on Slack first and then I’ll wake up Skype! :slight_smile:

1 Like

If I start going regularly, I’ll let you know.

2 Likes

Not had much luck with skype - my skype thing is a3waymirror. try that.

1 Like

Are you on slack - do hangouts work better?

no not on slack - works better 1-2-1. How fluent are you?

Er, medium…I’ve been learning for about 18 months. You?

3-4 years - more interested in reading and increasing vocab than just the usual chat. I ve found that unless there s some basis to a conversation it soon dries up or repeats

Ah, I’m reading too. Recently finished Llyfr Glas Nebo and am reading Blasu now both of which I found challenging to begin with but the brain somehow finds another gear…

…I listening to Beca’s Sgwrs at the moment…-and listening to Radio Cymru (getting there but gives me a headache :smile: ).

I’d suggest giving it a shot - and if you don’t want to hear about my stamp collection, well… (joc).,

Let me know when is good for you.

What sort of tines/ days would work for you @louiset641 for a skype?