Brick wall!

I am at the same stage in frustration. I was so excited at completing level 1. I started level 2 and on exercise 2 was completely demoralised. Its the first lesson where i sat listening instead of learning. The introduction of words that are not in the vocabulary list threw me completely. That and being unable to register for level 2 on slack left me frustrated. I am thinking of giving up and muddling through with the odd words to at least show my friends here i tried. You’ve not failed i think like me you have probably hit your limit.

But you’ve expanded your limits so much since you started! Remember how it felt, right at the start of learning Welsh? And how far you have progressed since then? Hitting your limit sounds like a permanent thing, like a railway buffer. You’re just having a bad day, week, month, whatever, but you can always come back to it. Give yourself some kind words and some slack. Then trust the process. :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

Hi @stephen-wilding-hewi! I’m not sure what you mean here. Are you registered in the 6 Minutes a Day course? If you are, then you can join the Level 2 channels in the SSiW 6/6 Support Slack workspace. You just need to click on the + next to Channels and you’ll find them there to join.

I’m sorry you had to go through all of those experiences before finding a way that works for you. We’re definitely here to help when we can, and we can always help an individual to find a way that works for them. The suggested rhythm of the 6 Minutes course is just that - a suggestion - that works for a reasonable percentage of people, but like everything in life, it doesn’t work for all. If you need to take longer, if you need to pause more, if you need to vary it in other ways - as long as you’re learning Welsh and growing in confidence, that’s the ultimate goal, and we will applaud even more when you become a Welsh speaker despite the difficulties along the way.
Great that you’re back at the coalface @varada-gottanama and PLEASE get in touch if you need any help!

1 Like

I’ve often used the analogy of climbing a mountain - there are many different routes you can take, and parts of every route are relatively easy going while other parts are much steeper. It’s fine to find your own route, as others here have said - not everyone has to go in exactly the same direction at the same speed to get to the same summit.
Sometimes the weather is lovely and sometimes the mist will come in and you can’t see a damn thing. Sometimes there might be an unexpected stream to wade through, or some rocks to scramble over… or sometimes it’s just the midges that drive you mad!
Even when you get to the top, you realise that this isn’t the only mountain - there are others you haven’t reached yet.
It’s always worth taking time to look back and see how far you’ve already come - it’s often further than you think.
And reaching the summit is a real achievement and the feeling of getting there at last is marvellous.
And remember, in this analogy, the community here on the forum is a rescue service - if you’re lost or tired we are here to help. :slight_smile:

5 Likes

Very well put @siaronjames :heart:

1 Like

Great analogy - thanks.

1 Like

Hi varada-gottanama
I recognise a lot of what you’ve written. I’m encouraged by all the responses I’ve had and I totally agree with you that everyone needs to develop their own plan of how to learn. So, it’s going to be an “as-and-when” approach which, hopefully, will work out. Diolch!

1 Like

Lots of encouragement from everyone who has responded. It’s given me new enthusiasm! Diolch!

3 Likes

Go back and revise all Challenges again-consolidation helps confidence!

1 Like

I may well do that! Thanks.

Hi I feel exactly the same , I want to understand what people are saying in welsh, so I am not really going further, but going over old lessons, and I think the speed listening made me give up listening to it as it is too blurred . It was fun when it was double speed and I could understand the reason but x3 speed just made me give up . I listen to Radio Cymru in the morning for a while and just try to pick out words and can just about understand the weather reports!

1 Like

Thanks for this. I’m with you on what you say. I’ve decided to go over ground already covered. Also, I’ve recorded some sentences in Wesl then play them back to see if I can understand them!