Calling all SSiW meet-up/chat group organisers and coordinators

Hello Catrin

I do not live in London, but understand that there is a SSiW group that meets regularly in Pret à Manger at St Pancras. It is meeting this Sunday at around 12.30. The organiser is Marcus Whitfield, who is currently doing the SSiW course. I am not sure how active he is on the forum, or if this is instead or or as well as the meet up above.

I would be interested in starting a group in Droitwich, where I live, or more realistically in Worcester, which is nearby and much bigger. Does SSiW do anything, or have any materials, to support the creation of such groups?

(In addition, I have talked to @nia.llywelyn about starting an online book club and she mentioned that she had talked to you about it, but I am guessing that is a different conversation!)

Thank you for all your work - I love SSiW and learning Welsh!

Pob hwyl

Neil

1 Like

I see my name is given along with Deborah’s in connection with Ceredigion/Cloncedigion. I am quite happy to continue as the contact, but it seems that interest in Cloncedigion has nearly dwindled to extinction, perhaps because of weather or perhaps because there are other events which fit the bill throughout Ceredigion.

What I’ll do in a couple of weeks is post a message to see if there is sufficient will to renew what was a very enjoyable regular event.

2 Likes

Hi @neil-pyper, thank you so much for the information! I think the St Pancreas group is now a Croydon one, but there’s no new info on their schedule this year, as yet. Any news from your end @MarcusWhitfield?

We don’t currently have materials for groups, but what you could possibly do is set up a new thread to discuss ideas with other organisers and get some advice on how they do it? I’m sure there are others out there like you who are interested in getting something going but don’t quite know how to go about it yet.

Not quite sure about online book-club, but that may just be down to my tiredness and therefore lack of memory. I’m going to tag Nia in your message so she can get maybe jog my memory through a private message. :wink: In the meantime take a look at this thread.

Sounds like a fabulous plant Huw, diolch! Let’s hope you get a revival! :slight_smile:

Diolch yn fawr, Catrin! I have posted about an online book group on Welsh Speaking Practice, just to gauge how much interest there is. I will post something on the forum about a group in Worcester, again to see whether there is any interest.

1 Like

Oh no Croydon was only a one off. We are meeting at St Pancras again on Sunday 12th at 12.15pm and again in February.

Thank you @MarcusWhitfield! Just so I can keep up to date, is the thread below the one you’re still using for that meet-up group? Diolch :slight_smile:

Os is this the new one…?

https://forum.saysomethingin.com/t/st-pancras-station-london/22081

Lets run with the One that has the september date on it,it has more responses, its ok to delete the other one if you like.

Great plan. Thank you! :It is once a month you meet?
:slight_smile:

Hi Catrin. The Port Talbot group meeting is every other week on a Monday evening for 6.30pm. We have moved venues to The 12 Knights, Margam Rd, Port Talbot SA13 2DB, and the next meeting will be on 20th January. Diolch

1 Like

Thanks Catrin. The Cambridge group will meet every last Tuesday of each month. If differed i will let you and Forum know. The Norfolk group is on hold at the moment. I am deciding what the way forward is with this group. Thanks x

1 Like

Diolch! :grin:

1 Like

Hi Neil,
I’m Bromyard way…there’s a thriving group in Malvern on Thursdays if you can make it…

Thanks Mike - I was aware of that group and going to go today, but couldn’t confirm whether it was meeting. I am a university lecturer and teach on Thursdays this semester, but will endeavour to go as and when I am free on a Thursday.

1 Like

It’s pretty much every Thursday …

1 Like

Hi Mike! Would you mind very much having a quick look at the list above to see if the details are there and are correct for the Malvern meet-up, please? Diolch yn fawr iawn! :slight_smile:

1 Like

All present and correct…:+1:

1 Like

You’re a star, diolch!

Hi guys!

Just a reminder, I’ll be writing the weekly email tomorrow, so will need all final dates and locations for all active meet-ups. Thank you to everyone who’s already done this! :blush:

@carin-harris. Hi Caz. Did you notice the Typo: “2 Nights”?
Diolch, John